How much truth behind the stories? - Erikson, owen - money for old rope?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:12 pm

Seeing another article on Owen not being happy at Newcastle (much discussed on this board already i know) and the past few days comments about Sven quitting after the World Cup, his dedication to the squad blah blah blah, I got to wondering how  trustworthy any 'news' report is.

I am not in the UK and don't read the newspapers, but their 'scandals' drip feed the online websites, including the impartial BBC online. Often these stories concern the same people and whom dismiss it all as rubbish and I wonder how much of it emanates from the fact that they are in the spotlight and a (fictional) mini-scoop will sell some newspapers, or how much truth lies behind it? For the stories to re-appear time and time again, there must be at least an element of truth in them...maybe?

I wondered what your thoughts were on this and also whether it is right for a site such as BBC to perpetuate an unfounded story probably generated by a newspaper with a limited readership base to a much wider audience.

I personally am a big user of the internet, especially to keep in touch with the UK and would feel lost without it, but I contradict myself by feeling that media has too strong an influence on the world nowadays and think we would often be better off without the degree of coverage that we are privy to nowadays. I think that the old standard of journalism should prevail and any allegations made should be able to be qualified with a source. Reporting that rumours are going around about someone doesn't qualify as news to me and entities such as the BBC should be striving to reduce this sort of journalism, not perpetuate it.

I would be interested in your opinions.
Homebooby

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:24 pm

NEWS JUST IN!!

shock, horror!!

the media might not always be telling the truth. :O

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:35 pm

andy_g wrote:NEWS JUST IN!!

shock, horror!!

Congrats.....you missed the point.
Homebooby

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Homebooby wrote:

shock, horror!!

What is your point?

This is nothing to do with LFC.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:56 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

shock, horror!!

What is your point?

That was the point???

...jeez i was way off  :(
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

shock, horror!!

What is your point?

then I have it in the wrong forum, apologies if you are that offended by that. Please move it to the general discussion forum if deemed necessary.

There is a somewhat tedious link regarding Owen and the continuous rumours that he only signed for Newcastle for a year and has the clause in his contract that should allow him to return to Liverpool at the end of the season, but that is stretching the point, I admit
Homebooby

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:02 pm

ok, say it quick then it'll go:

owen cost too much for what we paid, he has 2 get out clauses
12m end of this season
9m end of next

if we do buy him, it will be end of 2006 season
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:26 pm

dawson99 wrote:ok, say it quick then it'll go:

owen cost too much for what we paid, he has 2 get out clauses
12m end of this season
9m end of next

if we do buy him, it will be end of 2006 season

The end of this season in your opinion then ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:27 pm

no. coz if he leaves this season hed be hated forever. he'll stay at newcastle for one more, then join us if anyone end of next season. thats just my opinion tho
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:43 pm

dawson99 wrote:no. coz if he leaves this season hed be hated forever. he'll stay at newcastle for one more, then join us if anyone end of next season. thats just my opinion tho

I'll be very surprised if he did stay at Newcastle after the world cup.  In fact, i reacon he has his leaving speech already penned down..."after playing in the World Cup, i've realised that i need to be playing at a higher level....." :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Homebooby wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

shock, horror!!

What is your point?

then I have it in the wrong forum, apologies if you are that offended by that. Please move it to the general discussion forum if deemed necessary.

Having been a member for 18months, I would expect you to know better.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:12 pm

The Owen situation is quiet simple, he wanted to come us, and we were his first choice without a doubt. Agreeing terms with Owen wasn’t a problem, he was desperate to come back, and I reckon that we had already agreed terms informally or maybe even formally, the fee Real Madrid were asking was the problem.

Newcastle played a cleaver move in eliminating a loan move, and agreeing a high fee that they knew Liverpool would not pay.

So essentially it became a game between Liverpool, Real Madrid and Owen, and Owen cracked first, he didn’t want to be lumbered at Madrid. He moved right close to the deadline and that shows how much we was willing to come back, he waited and waited, but we didn’t crack, and rightly so.

I don’t know about any of those clause’s mentioned, but I doubt they are true, Dawson is doing a Welsh Wizard on us!

:D

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the_red_alonso » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:12 pm

As a matter of fact Owen is a confused guy at the moment.To be fair he's performed well for Real & scored a good bunch of goals for Newcastle too.But he's not sure if he has made the correct decision to join the toons & jst trying to please the fans by saying he's happy(he did that at Real also when he said he's going nowhere but the Brazilian romance meant he was shown the exit).
I really feel sorry for the guy coz he's a gr8 goalscorer(still quick) but maybe he must be cursing himself for leaving The REDS.
He jst wants to keep everyone happy,although he knows he needs to be in a better team than that mis-managed Newcastle side.To be honest though I cant see him leaving Newcastle until the end of next season as he won't want to play for lesser teams & Rafa is not going to pay more than 10 million for him,
cant see him going to United or Chelsea either,maybe Arsenal is the most likely venue(only if Walcott doesn't sign for the Gunners).
I fear he might exactly end up like Fowler,fingers crossed on that. :cool:
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:20 pm

the_red_alonso wrote:As a matter of fact Owen is a confused guy at the moment.To be fair he's performed well for Real & scored a good bunch of goals for Newcastle too.But he's not sure if he has made the correct decision to join the toons & jst trying to please the fans by saying he's happy(he did that at Real also when he said he's going nowhere but the Brazilian romance meant he was shown the exit).
I really feel sorry for the guy coz he's a gr8 goalscorer(still quick) but maybe he must be cursing himself for leaving The REDS.
He jst wants to keep everyone happy,although he knows he needs to be in a better team than that mis-managed Newcastle side.To be honest though I cant see him leaving Newcastle until the end of next season as he won't want to play for lesser teams & Rafa is not going to pay more than 10 million for him,
cant see him going to United or Chelsea either,maybe Arsenal is the most likely venue(only if Walcott doesn't sign for the Gunners).
I fear he might exactly end up like Fowler,fingers crossed on that. :cool:

He's only himself to blame......he must be gutted when he looks at the league table and see's Liverpool are the only potential challengers to Chelski.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:33 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Homebooby wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

shock, horror!!

What is your point?

Having been a member for 18months, I would expect you to know better.

do you wear a uniform to browse the boards?
Homebooby

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion