Michael owen - We need him and he needs us

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Freddy’s joy at Owen dealJun 25 2007

by Alan oliver, Evening Chronicle

FREDDY SHEPHERD will decide today whether to stay on as chairman of Newcastle United – fresh from securing a £10m deal with FIFA and the FA over the Michael Owen affair.

Shepherd’s battle for what he considered a just claim for compensation for Owen, after the United striker was injured playing for England in the World Cup 12 months ago, has been overtaken by events at St James’ Park and pushed into the background.

But even though he has been ill, the United chairman has continued that fight, and United are happy at the outcome.

Shepherd and his fellow directors were locked in talks with new billionaire owner Mike Ashley’s team at St James’ Park today, and not available for comment.

But a United source told me: “We have finally reached a comprise with FIFA and the FA regarding Michael Owen, and when you take into account the fact that his wages have been paid in full for two years and the compensation we have received, it’ll amount to around £10m.

Why did we not get compensation for Cisse's injury?
account deleted by request

Postby puroresu » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Wasnt it because England played an already injured Owen.
puroresu

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:21 pm

I can't make my mind up about Owen, since he left it's really openned my eyes to MO the person, I thought he loved LFC but it turns out that MO is all about himself and doesn't care about any club he plays for, we have deffo missed Owen and I would have his tallent back anyday of the week, problem is if he returned would he always be in the medical room with good ol' Harry Kewell? ???

Theirs no doubt that since he left for Madrid we haven't replaced him with a proven/natural striker. :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:54 pm

Paul C wrote:I can't make my mind up about Owen, since he left it's really openned my eyes to MO the person, I thought he loved LFC but it turns out that MO is all about himself and doesn't care about any club he plays for, we have deffo missed Owen and I would have his tallent back anyday of the week, problem is if he returned would he always be in the medical room with good ol' Harry Kewell? ???

Theirs no doubt that since he left for Madrid we haven't replaced him with a proven/natural striker. :(

His last season for Liverpool he was shocking always hiding behind the opposition defenders despite being a short assed C&^t. I don't want him back he's not good enough and it qwould be ahuge risk as I guarantee that he will get injured again. You just don't bounce back formthe injuries he has had, just look at Solkjaer at Manure, he's never got back into form again after his injuries and he has a lot more passion for his club than Owen has ever shown.
Owen can do one and rot away in Newcastle without ever winning the Prem or Champions league, he's neither needed or wanted at Liverpool, the sick note no honour diminutive little sh1t !!
heimdall

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:05 pm

Would MO still be fast enough ?

It doesn't matter, he'd be playing in a better squad and wouldn't need to wait for the ball over the top to run on to.

get him, end of.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:05 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
Effes wrote:I think Owen's reception when Newcastle played here was conclusive
proof of how the fans appreciated his search for stardom.

Same thing happened when Souness buggered off.

Most of us dont want him back on principle rather than football reasons.
Maybe those of you posting who dont go the game/ not from Liverpool maybe haven't latched onto that.
(Dont mis-construe this as an OOT debate)

Well am from Liverpool and reguarly attended games all over europe the last 15 years and I'd have him back in an instant.

As far as I know Owen has never said anything bad about us and I wonder if we'll ever know the full truth about what happened when he left. I don't blame him for being reluctant to sign with a new boss and uncertain future with a move to a big club abroad always a possibility. Truth is I blame Houllier and the board. Houllier for making a right mess of his last two seasons and making Owen's future a doubt, after all it is he who should have secured an extension not a manager coming in. He also left the club struggling to qualify for the Champions League and the title he promised was further from our grasp than it was when he joined. Owen would naturally want trophies and, like Gerrard, would have wanted trophies no matter how much he loves the club.

And I blame the board for sticking with Houllier too long and allowing the situation to get out of control. He wasted way too much money even in his latter years in charge and to allow the Cisse transfer to go ahead was a BIG mistake we're still trying to make best of.

As for Owen coming back, well if he's fit and can stay that way then we know he can do the business. Maybe he won't be as quick, maybe he will still have some left in him, but that wasn't his only asset. You don't become a world class striker just by being quick.

I read a laughable rumour about Newcastle offering Owen for Riise and Bellamy, if there is a £9m escape clause and Riise and Bellamy must be worth around £12 combined, then we'd be mad to swap.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:11 pm

someone should start a poll
-----------------------> michael owen - hate him? love him? or unsure
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:50 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:someone should start a poll
-----------------------> michael owen - hate him? love him? or unsure

No really, "someone" shouldn't.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby KRobbo10 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:50 pm

Its not weather if you hate him or love its weather you think he could do the business again in a Liverpool Shirt.

I personally thing its a huge gamble as you don't know how many games we could get out of him a season. 

For 9 millions is he worth the gamble?
I honestly couldn't decide but I won't like watching him play next season if he knocking them in for fun in a Newcastle shirt.
KRobbo10

Postby Reds' Lover » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Come wish that if Owen, was top scorer solve the problem and supports Torres :;):
Last edited by Reds' Lover on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reds' Lover

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion