DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:11 pm

maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Danny comes across as a bit of a character, some of his interviews are hilarious and he seems well up for a laugh.
Stuff like that clip will just endear him to the fans even more.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:59 am

Some of the stuff aimed at Danny before and during the England v Denmark game was very similar to some of the ultra critical comments on this thread by Stu and a few others to a lesser extent. It has been suggested that he is not in the same league as Rooney by our self proclaimed resident expert (sorry Stu - tongue in cheek - I respect a lot of what you say) and yet what did I witness last night. One player scored the match winning goal which is the job of a striker and the other tried desperately to hit row z on numerous occasions. Now I am not saying Danny is better than Rooney what I am saying is that he is totally focused on scoring goals and that is what matters to him more than anything else. Selfish yes, winner definitely, annoying at times no doubt but I wouldn't change him because it is those factors that make him the success that he is. Rodgers is developing Danny into something very special and his work is far from complete. For now I will live with the inevitable flaws. Everybody has weaknesses. Not everybody has his amazing skill in front of goal.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm

devaney » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 am wrote:Some of the stuff aimed at Danny before and during the England v Denmark game was very similar to some of the ultra critical comments on this thread by Stu and a few others to a lesser extent. It has been suggested that he is not in the same league as Rooney by our self proclaimed resident expert (sorry Stu - tongue in cheek - I respect a lot of what you say) and yet what did I witness last night. One player scored the match winning goal which is the job of a striker and the other tried desperately to hit row z on numerous occasions. Now I am not saying Danny is better than Rooney what I am saying is that he is totally focused on scoring goals and that is what matters to him more than anything else. Selfish yes, winner definitely, annoying at times no doubt but I wouldn't change him because it is those factors that make him the success that he is. Rodgers is developing Danny into something very special and his work is far from complete. For now I will live with the inevitable flaws. Everybody has weaknesses. Not everybody has his amazing skill in front of goal.

What I didn't get with the way Hodgson set the team up last night is why Sturridge wasn't played centrally.

Rooney is always going to drop deep to collect the ball, whcih inevitably left a vacuum in the CF position. Surely Hodgson would have done far better by playing Rooney in the Wilshere role.

I think the whole setup woudl have worked better with Sturridge as the central striker role.

Something like

Gerrard

Sterling      Wilshere     Lallana

Rooney
                Sturridge
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:34 pm

The answer to your question is quite simple - Roy Hodgson. I know he was experimenting but did he have to use our only game (I think) before the world cup to discover that is not the position for Danny. It worries me that he didn't know the answer before the game. I honestly cannot stand the man even if he did play half our team! He's obviously a very bright bloke (speaks about 66 languages!) but he is no winner. His record speaks volumes. Personally I believe the key reason why he got the job was because nobody else wanted it!  :help
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:07 pm

Wasn't Harry Redknapp  desperate for the job ?  (imo) he would've been a far better choice.

Hodgson is footballs equivalent of Top Gears "Captain Slow" (James May), intelligent ?,  maybe, but no point in handing him a Ferrari (Sturridge), he wouldn't know how to drive it.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby damjan193 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:59 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm wrote:
devaney » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:59 am wrote:Some of the stuff aimed at Danny before and during the England v Denmark game was very similar to some of the ultra critical comments on this thread by Stu and a few others to a lesser extent. It has been suggested that he is not in the same league as Rooney by our self proclaimed resident expert (sorry Stu - tongue in cheek - I respect a lot of what you say) and yet what did I witness last night. One player scored the match winning goal which is the job of a striker and the other tried desperately to hit row z on numerous occasions. Now I am not saying Danny is better than Rooney what I am saying is that he is totally focused on scoring goals and that is what matters to him more than anything else. Selfish yes, winner definitely, annoying at times no doubt but I wouldn't change him because it is those factors that make him the success that he is. Rodgers is developing Danny into something very special and his work is far from complete. For now I will live with the inevitable flaws. Everybody has weaknesses. Not everybody has his amazing skill in front of goal.

What I didn't get with the way Hodgson set the team up last night is why Sturridge wasn't played centrally.

Rooney is always going to drop deep to collect the ball, whcih inevitably left a vacuum in the CF position. Surely Hodgson would have done far better by playing Rooney in the Wilshere role.

I think the whole setup woudl have worked better with Sturridge as the central striker role.

Something like

Gerrard

Sterling      Wilshere     Lallana

Rooney
                Sturridge

Yes, this would be my England starting line-up as well.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

I'd probably put Barkley in instead of Sturridge and push Rooney up top.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:15 pm wrote:I'd probably put Barkley in instead of Sturridge and push Rooney up top.

But Rooney up top doesn't work when he is the sole striker. He constantly drops off into midfield, rarely plays off the shoulder. There leaves a big hole up top that doesn't get filled in the same way as when you have a striker like Suarez there, or Sturridge for that matter.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 am

Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:15 pm wrote:I'd probably put Barkley in instead of Sturridge and push Rooney up top.

:laugh:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:01 am

Just your opinion...   wrong, but yours none the same.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:07 am

Stu the Red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:15 pm wrote:I'd probably put Barkley in instead of Sturridge and push Rooney up top.

This is the kind of thinking that occurs when you leave a relatively small amount of people on an island for a thousand years.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:42 am

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 pm wrote:

But Rooney up top doesn't work when he is the sole striker. He constantly drops off into midfield, rarely plays off the shoulder. There leaves a big hole up top that doesn't get filled in the same way as when you have a striker like Suarez there, or Sturridge for that matter.

Great point, winning Barclays premier league player of the year in 2009/10 season and scoring 26 league goals (34 in all competitions) completely proves he's incapable of playing this role. Also during the 2011/2012 season scoring 34 in all competitions and 27 in the league completely backs this point up.

It would be silly to suggest a player as bad as Rooney could play this role to any degree of success.

Good post... AGAIN! :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:15 am

Stu the Red » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:42 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 pm wrote:

Great point, winning Barclays premier league player of the year in 2009/10 season and scoring 26 league goals (34 in all competitions) completely proves he's incapable of playing this role. Also during the 2011/2012 season scoring 34 in all competitions and 27 in the league completely backs this point up.

It would be silly to suggest a player as bad as Rooney could play this role to any degree of success.

Good post... AGAIN! :laugh:

I hope they aren't stats you are using to back up your point of view Stu?

You made it very clear to me that stats don't make an argument. Dopey hypocrite.

Besides your points Rooney in both of those seasons had strike partners, he wasn't a lone front man. Whether it was Berbatov, Hernandez or Welbeck - he had the freedom to roam because there was another striker to stay up top.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:37 am

Wrong again!  :laugh:

To be quite honest its people like you who ruin the game. Overly opinionated bell ends who don't understand what they're looking at to opinionated on something you know absolutely nothing about and have no experience of. A typical latch on who just wants to "support" a big club and talk complete and utter ***** about it just because their mates probably support Bournemouth, Pompey or Gravesend.

What's really amusing is, you seem to think you know a lot, when in reality you're so far wrong on just about every post you make its beyond belief. In the ten years I've posted on here, I don't think I've ever seen you talk sense about one particular issue and I don't believe you've ever made a point even worth considering. You contribute nothing to forum apart from poor attempts at smart ***** comments and when someone does to you what you do to them you try to change the subject or come back with foundationless clueless opinion.

You're an idiot. End of.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion