DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:11 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:40 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 am wrote:Such a frustrating player to watch and also play with.

Suarez, Henderson and Gerrard again told him to buck up and again he was selfish. It needs to stop.

Had a fabulous game with some superb skill, movement and one or two moments of pure quality, yet his stupid me, me, me attitude ruins his decision making and ruins the impact he could have on games. If he had half of Suarez team work abilities and mental quality, he'd be a hell of a player.

Oddly I am sure he wasn't this selfish earlier in the season. I wonder whether the goal gap, between himself and Suarez, when he returned has driven his competitive instinct into overdrive - so much so that he has lost part of that team ethic to his game.

That said I still think he has lots of development potential. Suarez was extremely selfish when he first arrived here, over the course of his time here he has also developed, he is now far more of a team player than he was when he first arrived. Sturridge needs to make that same team player transformation if he wants to continue developing at the rate he is going at.

This selfish thing is rubbish, all top strikers to a degree are selfish, if the likes of rush and hunt had a sight at goal they shot. Anyway, Danny has got the same number of assists as the likes of Hazard and Mata so it's hardly like he doesn't pass to his team mates at all.
Any other fan base could only dream of having a striker posting the type of record breaking numbers Danny currently is but we have pseudo intellectuals waffling on about him not passing the ball when he's slamming goals in left right and center.
You couldn't make it up honestly.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:11 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:40 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 am wrote:Such a frustrating player to watch and also play with.

Suarez, Henderson and Gerrard again told him to buck up and again he was selfish. It needs to stop.

Had a fabulous game with some superb skill, movement and one or two moments of pure quality, yet his stupid me, me, me attitude ruins his decision making and ruins the impact he could have on games. If he had half of Suarez team work abilities and mental quality, he'd be a hell of a player.

Oddly I am sure he wasn't this selfish earlier in the season. I wonder whether the goal gap, between himself and Suarez, when he returned has driven his competitive instinct into overdrive - so much so that he has lost part of that team ethic to his game.

That said I still think he has lots of development potential. Suarez was extremely selfish when he first arrived here, over the course of his time here he has also developed, he is now far more of a team player than he was when he first arrived. Sturridge needs to make that same team player transformation if he wants to continue developing at the rate he is going at.

This selfish thing is rubbish, all top strikers to a degree are selfish, if the likes of rush and hunt had a sight at goal they shot. Anyway, Danny has got the same number of assists as the likes of Hazard and Mata so it's hardly like he doesn't pass to his team mates at all.
Any other fan base could only dream of having a striker posting the type of record breaking numbers Danny currently is but we have pseudo intellectuals waffling on about him not passing the ball when he's slamming goals in left right and center.
You couldn't make it up honestly.

He is scoring goals and long may it continue but he is also wasting more opportunities than earlier in the season. There were at least two clear cut scoring opportunities in the Swansea game, where if he had made the pass we would have likely scored. Instead he went meandering looking for his hattrick.

Of course strikers are selfish, by nature their instinct is to score. However Rodgers has berated him more than once recently for making poor (selfish) decisions that have cost a scoring opportunity.

My point is he could adopt a better attitude to team ethic that woudl not affect his opportunities and likely increase our goal tally even further.

Side point re: the "pseudo intellectual" weak attempt at an insult. Leave it out mate, we already have one drama queen on the forum, we don't need two.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Football players miss chances, it's happened since the dawn of time and it's not going to stop happening just because you micro analyse every miss that happens. Footy is a sport not a science.
Rush missed sitters and botched chances, so did Kenny, so did Kevin Keegan, so did Billy Liddell etc etc
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 pm wrote:He is scoring goals and long may it continue but he is also wasting more opportunities than earlier in the season. There were at least two clear cut scoring opportunities in the Swansea game, where if he had made the pass we would have likely scored. Instead he went meandering looking for his hattrick.

Of course strikers are selfish, by nature their instinct is to score. However Rodgers has berated him more than once recently for making poor (selfish) decisions that have cost a scoring opportunity.

My point is he could adopt a better attitude to team ethic that woudl not affect his opportunities and likely increase our goal tally even further.

For once an excellent post.

The point that people don't understand is this will cost us points when the team isn't in such fantastic form, this will cause moves to break down and us not to win games over the course of a 38 game season and the only reason for this is a lazy, self centred ego maniac wannabe hero type attitude! Just what we need.

The point being is it takes 38 games to win a season, a player who only performs in 25 and contributes nothing in the other 13  due to an attitude problem isn't what we need.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:49 pm wrote:Football players miss chances, it's happened since the dawn of time and it's not going to stop happening just because you micro analyse every miss that happens. Footy is a sport not a science.
Rush missed sitters and botched chances, so did Kenny, so did Kevin Keegan, so did Billy Liddell etc etc

Of course they did, add Owen, Suarez, Torres and Fowler to that list as well... the point is not one of them missed chances and cost the team goal scoring opportunities every week because of a self centred, selfish attitude and their nagging need to be the hero like an 8 year old child with an inferiority complex!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm wrote:
The point being is it takes 38 games to win a season, a player who only performs in 25 and contributes nothing in the other 13  due to an attitude problem isn't what we need.

So this season of 38 games, Suarez missed 6 (was it 6?) at the start so he's only giving us 32 games this season...   still, he's made up for the lost games already
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:00 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:49 pm wrote:Football players miss chances, it's happened since the dawn of time and it's not going to stop happening just because you micro analyse every miss that happens. Footy is a sport not a science.

Of course they did, add Owen, Suarez, Torres and Fowler to that list as well... the point is not one of them missed chances and cost the team goal scoring opportunities every week because of a self centred, selfish attitude and their nagging need to be the hero like an 8 year old child with an inferiority complex!

I think we're getting the point that you don't like Daniel Sturridge.  :laugh:
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 pm

I really don't see the point of this debate. Sturridge is scoring for fun and is currently undroppable. He has some major flaws but ultimately they're not costing us, at the moment at least. Once they start costing us, we bench him, play Suarez upfront, and that's that. Until then, enjoy the show. It's that simple really.

For an example, Man Utd did the same with Berbatov, a player that basically won them the league with his goals.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:39 pm

damjan193 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:16 pm wrote:I really don't see the point of this debate. Sturridge is scoring for fun and is currently undroppable. He has some major flaws but ultimately they're not costing us, at the moment at least. Once they start costing us, we bench him, play Suarez upfront, and that's that. Until then, enjoy the show. It's that simple really.

For an example, Man Utd did the same with Berbatov, a player that basically won them the league with his goals.

I think Sturridge is great but is doesn't mean he is at his best.

I just see an opportunity to refine his game, mainly by adding more of a team ethic to his decision making, that will improve him as a player and directly benefit us. His partnership with Suarez clearly works despite any doubts that were lingering at the start of the season, yet I get the feeling it could be even better. they don't quite seem fully in sync. Suarez has turned provider to Sturridge recently, noticeably more that the other way round.

Just an observation.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Fookin hell, in the latter part of Rafa's reign, Hodgsons reign and even Kenny's reign we could hardly buy a goal but now we are out scoring teams who have spent over half a BILLION on players and our fans are whinging that our forwards don't always pass to each other.....unbelievable.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:58 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:41 pm wrote:He is scoring goals and long may it continue but he is also wasting more opportunities than earlier in the season. There were at least two clear cut scoring opportunities in the Swansea game, where if he had made the pass we would have likely scored. Instead he went meandering looking for his hattrick.

For once an excellent post.

The point that people don't understand is this will cost us points when the team isn't in such fantastic form, this will cause moves to break down and us not to win games over the course of a 38 game season and the only reason for this is a lazy, self centred ego maniac wannabe hero type attitude! Just what we need.

Is it fk an excellent post Stu  :laugh:  All it does is agree with the load of old miserable bollux that you have been regurgitating for months while Danny has been scoring a shed load of goals  :laugh: And what's all that old tosh about him playing poorly for 13 games in a season. Where is the evidence? May have misread your post on that aspect. Couldn't be bothered reading it again. It was too fkg painfully boring the first time  :laugh:

Sorry SouthCoast can't agree with you on this one mate. Of course he is going to make mistakes and bad decisions. Nobody is perfect. But when a players contribution is two goals and an assist in a difficult game that we managed to win you certainly won't hear me criticising Danny. Thank god for his contribution is my stance. Some of you guys really are picking holes. Not long ago we couldn't score a goal to save our lives  :help
Last edited by devaney on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:54 pm

Strange as it seems, I find myself agreeing with devaney
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Some people will find fault with anything. Sturridge's goal record speaks for itself and anyone who is criticising him obviously doesnt understand football.
He is a natural goalscorer with heaps of confidence and bags of ability. Selfish? Of course he is, hes a Fu*king striker for fu'cks sake, they score goals, thats what they do for a living! Its a silly debate unless and until his "selfishness" has a detrimental effect on the team.
I dont think it has though, has it...?
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:10 pm

The interesting thing as well Thommo is that the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and City will take more notice of the number of goals he scores above everything else when it comes to considering just what they are prepared to pay for a player. The key reason Suarez's value has gone up substantially along with his wages is because of the goals he scores. The main objective of a striker is to score goals or have I got that wrong. If you were to compare some of this stuff to a goalkeeper it would be like not complaining about the number of goals that he let in but giving him all the credit in the world for his fantastic distribution !!
Last edited by devaney on Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:18 pm

devaney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:10 pm wrote:The interesting thing as well Thommo is that the likes of Barca, Real Madrid and City will take more notice of the number of goals he scores above everything else when it comes to considering just what they are prepared to pay for a player. The key reason Suarez's value has gone up substantially along with his wages is because of the goals he scores.

Its such a daft argument mate as ANY club in the Prem would give their right arm for Sturridge.
Yet hes too selfish for us
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion