DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:35 pm

He didn't beat the club's record for scoring in consecutive games in all competitions but he can still reach the league's record which is held by van Nistelroy who has scored in 10 consecutive league games while Sturridge has in 8.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:16 pm

He's got 17 in the league now and 20 in all comps, if him and Suarez manage to score 20 league goals each in the same season that would be a phenomenal achievement.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:00 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:16 pm wrote:He's got 17 in the league now and 20 in all comps, if him and Suarez manage to score 20 league goals each in the same season that would be a phenomenal achievement.

He has actually scored 18 goals in the league, not 17.  :eyebrow
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22 am

Such a frustrating player to watch and also play with.

Suarez, Henderson and Gerrard again told him to buck up and again he was selfish. It needs to stop.

Had a fabulous game with some superb skill, movement and one or two moments of pure quality, yet his stupid me, me, me attitude ruins his decision making and ruins the impact he could have on games. If he had half of Suarez team work abilities and mental quality, he'd be a hell of a player.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 am

Stu I know what your saying about players who constantly fk up opportunities. Yes it can cause mayhem with team mates and team spirit. At the moment because Danny is a bit of a goal machine it is not a problem but I fully accept that could change. I think Danny is learning and getting better. Would the Danny of a couple of months ago have slid that superb ball to Hendo for his goal. I'm not sure that he would. Danny also has a massive amount to prove to Chelsea, Man City and himself. Scoring goals is his way of doing that. It would be reasonable to say that in percentage terms he should have passed the ball to another player that was in a potentially better position than take some of the shots he has which have resulted in brilliant goals. I'm not to bothered about the me,me,me I attitude of players like Danny. I don't think Luis was very different in his first season when he was probably trying to hard. Admittedly he also had the slight problem of worrying that if he passed the ball to somebody else they would fk it up  :laugh: That was during a period when if the opposition left the pitch for ten minutes we still probably wouldn't have scored. Rodgers has eradicated that situation and created a magnificent attacking force by simply improving players. Sterling, who you have been less than complimentary about in the past has improved almost immeasurably. The same can be said for Henderson who Rodgers was so frustrated with he nearly got rid of him. Luis is also a far better player than when he first arrived. Gerrard is thriving in his new role that Rodgers created. Danny as I said is also improving under the tutelage of Rodgers. He is clearly an attack minded coach who has concentrated his strengths in this area.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:03 am

devaney » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:43 am wrote:Stu I know what your saying about players who constantly fk up opportunities. Yes it can cause mayhem with team mates and team spirit. At the moment because Danny is a bit of a goal machine it is not a problem but I fully accept that could change. I think Danny is learning and getting better. Would the Danny of a couple of months ago have slid that superb ball to Hendo for his goal. I'm not sure that he would. Danny also has a massive amount to prove to Chelsea, Man City and himself. Scoring goals is his way of doing that. It would be reasonable to say that in percentage terms he should have passed the ball to another player that was in a potentially better position than take some of the shots he has which have resulted in brilliant goals. I'm not to bothered about the me,me,me I attitude of players like Danny. I don't think Luis was very different in his first season when he was probably trying to hard. Admittedly he also had the slight problem of worrying that if he passed the ball somebody else would fk it up  :laugh:

When we're winning its fine. Its when we aren't winning games and he's doing these things fans will get on his back. Its a major reason Chelsea and City both sold him as they realised at a young age he was always going to be to selfish to be a real top player. His technical ability is good, his composure in front of goal is quality... but mentally he's a child still and at 24/25 I don't think that will ever change.

Having watched the game yesterday at times I was absolutely livid with his decisions and fuming with the amount of times he slowed down good attacks, Gerrard, Henderson and Luis Suarez were also annoyed with him at times for doing this. But at others he shown moments of pure quality. Erratic in general play is never a good sign. He's the type of player who will make the same mistake over and over again and at times it will cost us. As much as he's had a fabulous season and I can see what he brings to the side, because of this I can't quite take to him. Also, I do believe we're a better side with Luis in that position rather than Luis having to accomadate him.

As for him being similar to Suarez I disagree totally. Luis shoots when he's on the end of the move, at times in his first season other players weren't on his wave length and were asking for passes that simply were not on, he occasionally will shoot when he shouldn't but usually he makes the right decision and the team decision, that's what makes him world class and what stops Sturridge being a top player.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:09 am

7th in the european goal scorers list for this season so far, Suarez is 4th in the same list. These are good times when Liverpool have 2 strikers in the top 10 in Europe.

Well done danny, keep it going!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:23 am

Just wondering, does anyone know if there were there any strike partnerships where both the players got at least 20 goals each in a season?
Yorke and Cole? Fowler and Collymore?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Shearer and Sutton?
Collymore Fowler 1995 - 96?
Tevez and ronaldo?
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 am wrote:Such a frustrating player to watch

Yep, I hate seeing him score every game and have defences terrified.

It was much better when we had Voronin and Ngog up front.  ???
mkingdom

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:10 pm

I don't think it's been done in the modern era, there's probably been quite a few strike partnerships where two or more players have scored 20+ goals each in all comps but 20 LEAGUE goals each takes a hell of a lot of doing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Tibbers » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:57 pm

Brendan Rodgers strongly believes that Daniel Sturridge got better after the striker helped Liverpool to win against Swansea 4-3.

Any thoughts on this one? I thought so too! He's the man of that intense first half match with his double - 3' opener and 36th minute goal!
Tibbers
LFC Basic Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:I don't think it's been done in the modern era, there's probably been quite a few strike partnerships where two or more players have scored 20+ goals each in all comps but 20 LEAGUE goals each takes a hell of a lot of doing.

surely that man utd team with Ronaldo and Tevez did this? they got something like 48 goals between them.

Lampard and Drogba got 51 goals in a season too
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:22 am wrote:Such a frustrating player to watch and also play with.

Suarez, Henderson and Gerrard again told him to buck up and again he was selfish. It needs to stop.

Had a fabulous game with some superb skill, movement and one or two moments of pure quality, yet his stupid me, me, me attitude ruins his decision making and ruins the impact he could have on games. If he had half of Suarez team work abilities and mental quality, he'd be a hell of a player.

Oddly I am sure he wasn't this selfish earlier in the season. I wonder whether the goal gap, between himself and Suarez, when he returned has driven his competitive instinct into overdrive - so much so that he has lost part of that team ethic to his game.

That said I still think he has lots of development potential. Suarez was extremely selfish when he first arrived here, over the course of his time here he has also developed, he is now far more of a team player than he was when he first arrived. Sturridge needs to make that same team player transformation if he wants to continue developing at the rate he is going at.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:01 pm

leeroy74 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:I don't think it's been done in the modern era, there's probably been quite a few strike partnerships where two or more players have scored 20+ goals each in all comps but 20 LEAGUE goals each takes a hell of a lot of doing.

surely that man utd team with Ronaldo and Tevez did this? they got something like 48 goals between them.

Lampard and Drogba got 51 goals in a season too

Ronaldo only surpassed the 20 league goals in a season barrier once in his 6 years at old Trafford - (the 07/08) season when he scored 31. The closest Tevez came to scoring 20 league goals in a season for United was when he scored 14.
Your right with Lampard and Drogba though, in 13 seasons at Chelsea Lampard only managed it once but it just happened to be the same season Drogba achieved it (09/10 I think)
Drogba managed to do it twice in 8 seasons.
Luis has done it twice and he hasn't been here 3 full seasons yet!
It's easy to become blasé but what we are watching now with Suarez and Sturridge is two strikers making history, these two will become a yardstick that future Liverpool strike partnerships will be measured by.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion