We can sign one more player atleast

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:35 pm

Sabre wrote:
The Spain striker believes the Reds need "small players with quality"

Fernando, we're going to need you convince Bigmick about the "small players" part . :D

:D Fair enough, although some tinies do make it. They do say it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog and to some extent that's true. To make it in England as an offensive player, you have much to cope with and only the strongest survive.

Yes sometimes you can survive by sheer force of will if you keep dragging yourself up off the deck, but a better way is to adapt the way you play. The way you shield it in Spain won't work in the Premiership, because as the defender leans into your back and you flop over the ball feeling contact, in England it's play on and he simply takes the ball away from you. The better method is to get your trailing arm back, fight the fella off physically.

Even better if you're a Silva or a Zola, is to avoid the situation. Don't stand still on the football, shimmy, swerve, move, feint and offload. Show, don't show. Come in, go short, spin off and back in agin. Get it, move, move, move, move and pass. If they do catch up with you, take the contact, hit the deck and bounce. Don't writhe around like you've been shot, don't scream 'AAArrghhhhhh!" on your way down. Relish the challenge, puff out your chest and look em in the eye. Most of all, bottle the aggression you feel and channel it into a desire to hurt them where it hurts the most, by making a matchwinning contribution.

Follow in the footsteps of the Cantona's, the Ginola's, the Henri's, the Zola's and the Torres's. People with the strength of character, masses of ability and a desire which simply cannot be supressed by opposition aggression. Leave the well trodden paths of the Morientes's, the Gonzales's, the Riera's etc well alone. For them the involvement is fitful, the desire to succeed less pronounced as they fleetingly show in short bursts, dancing between the raindrops of physicality. For them the desire to adapt isn't or wasn't strong enough, the determination to overcome the hostility not ingrained enough.

Small players can do it too, but they must be able to carry a bucket of desire which exceeds their body wieght comfortably, and they must learn to dodge the bullets. Not easy by any means, but just about possible. For every Gianfranco Zola though, there are twenty Emre Bozogliou's.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 pm

great post.
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Ta mate :) and on the subject of the question, if we kept all out players and could sign only one player, I'd sign Darren Bent if we can get him for 12-13 million. I think the need for a striker marginally exceeds the need for a centre half, although it's very close.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flamingpoe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:59 am

we dont need a striker if you ask me, we need a winger, for the right, second team strike partnership in a ideal world i wudn't have got rid of keane and played keane and kuyt, cause keane relies upon a worker, kuyt ideal for the only thing he seems to b good at!!, yet in times i wud play torres on his own and then play babel sometimes with him and then switch and use kuyt and babel as a second strike partnership, i wud bring in silva and bang him out on the right :P , i know that seems odd, but riera i wud play on left cause riera has good pace control to play the diagonal ball to silva, and vice versa and silva usually plays a crossing sort of game on the left, i reckon put him on the right and he will wanna cut inside more often making him more deadly, with gerrard as a more centre attacking mid because silva might cut inside on the right that wud make him a somewhat ronaldo who no 1 cud deal with last season really so silva wud b a very very useful addition in my eyes, and then with a bit of change left over i wud poach obafemi martins from newcastle :P hes got a few pretty pennies i suspect, and partnered with some1 like kuyt or babel or torres, wud b a good basement signing :D :P but obafemi has probably gone to some s**t team that will play him upfront all season and then he will go on to be a bloody beast!! if he hasnt already done so!
flamingpoe

Postby Raoul » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:21 am

bigmick wrote:
Sabre wrote:
The Spain striker believes the Reds need "small players with quality"

Fernando, we're going to need you convince Bigmick about the "small players" part . :D

:D Fair enough, although some tinies do make it. They do say it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog and to some extent that's true. To make it in England as an offensive player, you have much to cope with and only the strongest survive.

Yes sometimes you can survive by sheer force of will if you keep dragging yourself up off the deck, but a better way is to adapt the way you play. The way you shield it in Spain won't work in the Premiership, because as the defender leans into your back and you flop over the ball feeling contact, in England it's play on and he simply takes the ball away from you. The better method is to get your trailing arm back, fight the fella off physically.

Even better if you're a Silva or a Zola, is to avoid the situation. Don't stand still on the football, shimmy, swerve, move, feint and offload. Show, don't show. Come in, go short, spin off and back in agin. Get it, move, move, move, move and pass. If they do catch up with you, take the contact, hit the deck and bounce. Don't writhe around like you've been shot, don't scream 'AAArrghhhhhh!" on your way down. Relish the challenge, puff out your chest and look em in the eye. Most of all, bottle the aggression you feel and channel it into a desire to hurt them where it hurts the most, by making a matchwinning contribution.

Follow in the footsteps of the Cantona's, the Ginola's, the Henri's, the Zola's and the Torres's. People with the strength of character, masses of ability and a desire which simply cannot be supressed by opposition aggression. Leave the well trodden paths of the Morientes's, the Gonzales's, the Riera's etc well alone. For them the involvement is fitful, the desire to succeed less pronounced as they fleetingly show in short bursts, dancing between the raindrops of physicality. For them the desire to adapt isn't or wasn't strong enough, the determination to overcome the hostility not ingrained enough.

Small players can do it too, but they must be able to carry a bucket of desire which exceeds their body wieght comfortably, and they must learn to dodge the bullets. Not easy by any means, but just about possible. For every Gianfranco Zola though, there are twenty Emre Bozogliou's.

You have always been a poster well worth reading, but this is sublime, "the desire to succeed less pronounced as they fleetingly show in short bursts, dancing between the raindrops of physicality".  Such poetic inspiration can only come from one place.  Godzone agrees with you I think!
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 am

That was a good post Mick and I had missed the answer, I can't argue about the need to have lots of desire to adapt, although I have to say that it's difficult to know how someone will adapt to the English game without watching him play in England.

For instance if you saw Torres in Spain, you would have never imagined he'd answer to the physicallity the way he has. Lots of sitting down in the pitch complaining, lots of lack of contact with the toughest CB. Yet, he came, and he adapted to the physicallity in a way not only me, but everyone around here didn't expect.

My point is that I can't disagree what you say, but don't rush to say how Silva would do here until you see him 4 or 5 games here.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:32 am

Sabre wrote:That was a good post Mick and I had missed the answer, I can't argue about the need to have lots of desire to adapt, although I have to say that it's difficult to know how someone will adapt to the English game without watching him play in England.

For instance if you saw Torres in Spain, you would have never imagined he'd answer to the physicallity the way he has. Lots of sitting down in the pitch complaining, lots of lack of contact with the toughest CB. Yet, he came, and he adapted to the physicallity in a way not only me, but everyone around here didn't expect.

My point is that I can't disagree what you say, but don't rush to say how Silva would do here until you see him 4 or 5 games here.

maybe we should ask Valencia if we can take him for a test drive  :D
JoeTerp

Postby stmichael » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:19 am

The ideal would be to get someone who can play from the left the majority of the time and is comfortable through the middle ala Henry.

I really struggle to see how Babel is going to get a run out unless he seriously ups his game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby aCe' » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am

stmichael wrote:The ideal would be to get someone who can play from the left the majority of the time and is comfortable through the middle ala Henry.

I really struggle to see how Babel is going to get a run out unless he seriously ups his game.

Juan Mata... also, Mutu and Cassano spring to mind but doubt Rafa would be interested in any of the latter two despite them doing brilliantly with their clubs in recent times... Mata is a realistic target though and we've been linked to him in the past few days... would be a good signing and provides goals for the side...
Its a shame we missed out on Robinho last season... would have been perfect for us...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:38 am

aCe' wrote:
stmichael wrote:The ideal would be to get someone who can play from the left the majority of the time and is comfortable through the middle ala Henry.

Juan Mata... also, Mutu and Cassano spring to mind but doubt Rafa would be interested in any of the latter two despite them doing brilliantly with their clubs in recent times... Mata is a realistic target though and we've been linked to him in the past few days... would be a good signing and provides goals for the side...
Its a shame we missed out on Robinho last season... would have been perfect for us...

We would have never been able to afford robinho and his wages are pretty steep , he went to city as they were offering him the highest also i think he's a :censored: , there are some games where he strolling and walking around the pitch as if he wasn't interested , we don't need players like him at LFC.
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:04 am

Don't care who Rafa gets we are gonna win the league.

Ribery want's to go to Madrid oh dear Fergie :laugh:
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
aCe' wrote:

We would have never been able to afford robinho and his wages are pretty steep , he went to city as they were offering him the highest also i think he's a :censored: , there are some games where he strolling and walking around the pitch as if he wasn't interested , we don't need players like him at LFC.

yea.. fck all the brilliant yet arrogant money grabbing players in the world.. the ronaldos, Kakas (sould his soul to Madrid  :wwww ), Robinhos, Ibrahimovics, Tevezs, Barrys and Etoos.... we'll go for players who really live to wear the red shirt like Mascherano (oh wait...), Alonso (mmmm...), Kevin nolan and David Wheater....
fck winning the league if it means we sign good players to do that !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite_1232002 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Bing news 2 nite is that owen could be on his way to the mancs. should be snapping him up, in my eyes a mistake if we dont go for him.

100000000% better than voronin

Be gutted if he goes these
kopite_1232002

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:19 pm

As long as he is in Alonso, Gerrard and Torres' class I don't care who we get :)
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:55 pm

Wasn't sure where this would fit and didn't want to bump the Tevez thread.

Pepe Reina blasts Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez

By AIDAN MAGEE, 04/07/2009
PEPE REINA has hit out at Gareth Barry and Carlos Tevez for snubbing Liverpool and opting for the riches on offer at Manchester City.

The Spanish keeper was a key part of the Reds side that finished just four points below Manchester United in the club's best Premier League season for years.

But instead of adding to the squad over the summer, Reina has so far seen two transfer targets turn down the chance of a move to Anfield and could also see team-mates like Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano leave Liverpool in search of moves abroad.
Opportunity

Barry looked a certainty to arrive on Merseyside in the close season after missing out on a move from Aston Villa 12 months ago.

But City seized the opportunity to snatch the player by offering him £120,000 a week before Liverpool had a chance to put in place the finance to sign him.

Tevez has been offered £140,000 a week to move to Eastlands after failing to agree a deal to extend his career at Old Trafford.
Pole

Liverpool also thought they were in pole position to land the Argentine by offering him Champions League football. Instead, the pair look to have chosen the money available at City. And Reina believes they should have prioritised their prospects of achievement above their wages.

He said: "Apparently, they moved for the money. That is their decision but I also think it is their problem if they cannot see that Liverpool is a bigger club.

"It's up to them what they do but let me tell them that I am very proud to play for Liverpool. We can offer European football and I think that should have been a consideration for them.
Honour

"Everybody knows what it is to play for Liverpool. It's a pleasure and a tremendous honour. I am surprised they didn't consider these things. Some things in a player's career should be more important than money."

Liverpool's latest balance sheet shows why they appear unable to offer anywhere near the kind of lucrative wages City are tempting players with at present.

Figures announced last month showed that joint owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks are struggling to service the £350million loan they took out to buy the club.

Kop Holdings, the parent company that owns Liverpool, lost nearly £43m last year and backers RBS have moved to assure fans that their club is safe.

As it stands, manager Rafa Benitez is having to sell players before he can strengthen his side.
Fighting

Even so, Reina, 26, insists Liverpool will be strong enough come the start of the season.

He said: "At Liverpool, you have to be fighting for the title and that's what we will be doing this year.

"We are involved in four competitions and just targeting one of them is not enough. The big one of the Premier League would definitely be best."

------------

Pepe is dead right. Tevez was in talks with us but as soon as he realised we were not going to pay him silly wages he started on his 'it would be disrespectful' crusade speech.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion