We can sign one more player atleast

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:35 am

I don't think we should be signing a second striker who we have to "change our formation for" either. Our formation is fine thanks. If we were to sign a Tevez who can play occasionally out wide, then lovely. If not though, we basically need someone who can play when EITHER Gerrard or Torres are unavailable/rotated/subbed or whatever. I still think that my first chaoice of Robin Van persie holds good. He could easily play wide to give him game time, he could play in either Gerrard or Torres's role, he is a top player and you'd get him for around 20 mill.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:17 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't think we should be signing a second striker who we have to "change our formation for" either. Our formation is fine thanks. If we were to sign a Tevez who can play occasionally out wide, then lovely. If not though, we basically need someone who can play when EITHER Gerrard or Torres are unavailable/rotated/subbed or whatever. I still think that my first chaoice of Robin Van persie holds good. He could easily play wide to give him game time, he could play in either Gerrard or Torres's role, he is a top player and you'd get him for around 20 mill.

Van Persies a sick note, and always takes a few games to get his form back when he returns from an injury. He then usually has a nice spell of form and then gets injured again, its a vicious cycle and it means you only get about 20 quality games out of him a season, i no a few Arsenal fans who are starting to get frustrated with him.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:47 pm

I wouldn't mind gambling on that Walter guy, No.9 under 20 brazilian striker... he looks like a well balanced striker...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:06 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't think we should be signing a second striker who we have to "change our formation for" either. Our formation is fine thanks. If we were to sign a Tevez who can play occasionally out wide, then lovely. If not though, we basically need someone who can play when EITHER Gerrard or Torres are unavailable/rotated/subbed or whatever. I still think that my first chaoice of Robin Van persie holds good. He could easily play wide to give him game time, he could play in either Gerrard or Torres's role, he is a top player and you'd get him for around 20 mill.

On the contrary, I think we should. Our formation is not cast in stone and there is merit in being flexible..

RVP will not work well here. He does not sacrifice himself enough to function well under Rafa's concept of the game. Many Arsnl fans are frustrated by him...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Fauxy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:22 pm

Was watching England U21 v Sweden U21 and thought that Marcus Berg guy was good, top scorer for the U21 internationals.

He's young, wouldnt cost much at all and looks like he has a lot of potential in him.

Maybe he would be a decent buy? Better backup than Voronin surely?
Fauxy

Postby redsince2001 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:38 pm

pieneer from everton......... ha ha :D :D
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:27 pm

maybe this is the wrong place to put it, but poeple have been suggesting buying a back-up striker, even i have recently suggested tuncay

but i was just thinking we have 4 very good young strikers in nemeth(20), ngog(20), pachecco(18), and de valle(18) and with kuyt, benyoun and babel able to play upfront and the fact playing 1 upfront seems to work very well for us should we use our money elsewhere i.e the wings where we are not bleased with a world class player and put faith in these youngsters

surely at the age their at they need more then reserve football now, i cant wait to see how much playing time they get in pre-season because i believe if it wasnt for injury nemeth would have played for the first team last year
they all have massive talent and are all a different type of threat

they looked on the same level as insua in the reserves so lets give them a chance i say because many of us are shouting for insua to be first choice after he was given a run in the team

san jose looks a very good young centre back every time i see him maybe he could be the one to step up and replace sami??

just a thought, would be a shame to waste time and money on these kids without giving them a chance in the first team

.....anyway i would buy silva as the player we can buy without spending, hes obviouslt world class to anyone thats seen him play and someone like lennon with the funds we get from selling the dead wood, good young player with pace t burn and alot of skill, massive potential and english just what we need...
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Fernando Torres urges Rafael Benítez to make Spanish acquisition•

Valencia trio Villa, Silva and Mata top of Torres' wishlist
• 'We need small, clever players who can make the difference'

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 28 June 2009 10.26 BST

Fernando Torres has revealed he has recommended three fellow Spaniards to his Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez.

The Spain striker believes the Reds need "small players with quality" to finally wrest the Premier League title from Manchester United and would like Benítez to sign David Silva, Juan Mata or David Villa from Valencia.

"English football is very difficult because it's very physical and played at a high tempo," Torres said. "We have a fantastic team to play against the big teams and we are competitive.

"But maybe against those teams lower down we are not good enough. We have to improve that and I think we can.

"I think we can definitely be stronger at home. We have some very good players but maybe we need other players. I hope Liverpool will bring people like Silva, Mata or Villa. These are small players with quality like United had with Carlos Tevez and also with Paul Scholes.

"They are clever players and maybe they can make the difference. Yossi Benayoun plays like these kind of players and I hope we can bring more like that so then we have different options to play against all the sides."

The former Atlético Madrid striker added: "It was frustrating but football is difficult against the smaller teams. We need players with quality to try to win these matches and I want Liverpool to sign players like this.

"We finished four points behind United but we are improving. We are getting more points every season. I know that every year we can finish with more points. I have recommended the names to Benítez and I hope we have the money."
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:01 pm

that's a good sign... at least it means that he has promoted LFC to his mates and maybe they might be keen too...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:38 am

we lost the league by 4 points. and this can easily come down to 2 goals.
or simply the mancs won the league by the 2 goals scored by macheda. an injury time goal against aston villa and a late goal against sunderland.

frankly speaking i dont see anyone who have that kind of impact from the bench beside owen, who we didnt sign, and nemeth, hopefully we can see more of him next season.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Fat Guus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 am

Tevez would have been my pick, However would love to see Essien arrive - would be a good buy even if Xabi/Masch stay, Lucas is the one to offload.
Fat Guus

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:38 am

If Xabi goes and we get 35 million for him , i reckon we should bid for essein although i doubt chelsea would ever do business with us
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:44 am

The Spain striker believes the Reds need "small players with quality"

Fernando, we're going to need you convince Bigmick about the "small players" part . :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:49 pm

Toffeehater wrote:If Xabi goes and we get 35 million for him , i reckon we should bid for essein although i doubt chelsea would ever do business with us

Essien is more like Mascherano, defensive midfielder, but not a pass master.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:47 pm

Alex G. wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:If Xabi goes and we get 35 million for him , i reckon we should bid for essein although i doubt chelsea would ever do business with us

Essien is more like Mascherano, defensive midfielder, but not a pass master.

Essien is the far better player of the two... Offers much more going forward and he rarely loses possession... one of the best central midfielders in the world today... defensively hes excellent, about as good as mascherano i'd say but everything else id say hes the far better player...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion