Transfer history - Between mancs and scousers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:34 pm

I recently heard during an Everton match that old man legs Phil Neville was the first direct transfer between Everton & Manure for 45 years.

Got me thinking, does anyone know when and who the last trade between Man U & Liverpool was in either directon?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:38 pm

All I can think of at the moment is Ramon Calliste's transfer from Manchester United to Liverpool on a free.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:45 pm

AussieKopite wrote:I recently heard during an Everton match that old man legs Phil Neville was the first direct transfer between Everton & Manure for 45 years.

Got me thinking, does anyone know when and who the last trade between Man U & Liverpool was in either directon?

The commentator must have forgot about Rooney then!!

As for between us and Man U, I can't think of any since I started following football in the 80s.  Even Paul Ince is the only real indirect transfer I can think of.  Oh yeah, and Peter Beardsley, didn't Man U reject him as a youngster?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:48 pm

john craig wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:I recently heard during an Everton match that old man legs Phil Neville was the first direct transfer between Everton & Manure for 45 years.

As for between us and Man U, I can't think of any since I started following football in the 80s.  Even Paul Ince is the only real indirect transfer I can think of.  Oh yeah, and Peter Beardsley, didn't Man U reject him as a youngster?

Good point, sure I missed it but that commentator is in the industry. Hes got no excuse.

You guys know what year for Ince, Beardsley & Callista?
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:50 pm

AussieKopite wrote:
john craig wrote:

Good point, sure I missed it but that commentator is in the industry. Hes got no excuse.

You guys know what year for Ince, Beardsley & Callista?

Ince was in about 1998 I think (from Inter Milan), Beardsley must have been late 80s and Calliste was in the summer just past.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:52 pm

Calliste was released by Manchester United and we snapped him up on a free during summer. I guess this is another example of an indirect transfer between Manchester United and us.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:59 pm

phil chisnall is the only direct transfer between liverpool and manure that i can think of but that was way before my time
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:59 pm

YOure probably right. Maybe that comment about Neville and 45 year might have been talkiong about from Man U to Everton as well.
You'll never walk alone.

AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:07 pm

stmichael wrote:phil chisnall is the only direct transfer between liverpool and manure that i can think of but that was way before my time

i think david sadler might be another but like you before my time really.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:21 pm

I started a topic on this in the elite section. It was 1964 when money last changed hands between us and them.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:37 pm

at the risk of being blown apart here and going off the top of my head there's also been very little, if any, trading between us and arsenal or chelsea. top teams don't tend to exchange players except in the odd unusual case. players tend to come to these kind of clubs from 'lesser' clubs or from abroad - and tend to only leave to go abroad or take a step down for more playing opportunities or to wind down their career.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:41 pm

andy_g wrote:at the risk of being blown apart here and going off the top of my head there's also been very little, if any, trading between us and arsenal or chelsea. top teams don't tend to exchange players except in the odd unusual case. players tend to come to these kind of clubs from 'lesser' clubs or from abroad - and tend to only leave to go abroad or take a step down for more playing opportunities or to wind down their career.

You're right Andy, I can only think of Jimmy Carter who transfered to us from Arsenal in the early 90s and can't think of any between us and Chelsea apart from Zenden indirectly.  I'll probably have forgot loads though :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:45 pm

Ray Kennedy was the best player signed from London.He was Shanklys last ever signing when he signed him as a centre forward from Arsenal.Bob Paisley moulded him into one of the top 5 midfielders our club have ever had.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:46 pm

drummerphil wrote:Ray Kennedy was the best player signed from London.He was Shanklys last ever signing when he signed him as a centre forward from Arsenal.Bob Paisley moulded him into one of the top 5 midfielders our club have ever had.

Good shout, I've read his book although he was a bit before my time to be honest.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:48 pm

one of my all time favourites Ray Kennedy.......truly a great great player
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion