Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DrTNT » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:48 pm

1964 we sold Jim Furnell to Arsenal & bought Geoff Strong off them
1967 we bought Tony Hateley from chelsea
1974 we bought Ray Kennedy from Arsenal
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:50 pm

geoff strong came from arsenal i think, and didnt we get or was it sell nigel spackman and david speedie to chelsea? not sure now. joey jones went to chelsea didnt he?

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Jari's mullet » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:03 pm

Who did we get Michael Thomas off?
Jari's mullet

Postby Jari's mullet » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:05 pm

Did we get David speedie off Chelsea or was it Coventry?, I can't honestly remember
Jari's mullet

Postby greenred » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:06 pm

We also signed the infamous Micheal Thomas from Arsenal in the early nineties.He was the player who scored the last minute winner at Anfield in 1989 and robbed us of the title.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jari's mullet » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:11 pm

Thomas still lives in Liverpool apparantly, I remember reading in a match programme about him.  I think he even plays for the veterans in that 6 a-side thingy rather than for the gooners
Jari's mullet

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:12 pm

From Manure to Everton, I think Norman whiteside was one, Andre Kanchelskis may have been another. Nigel Spackman may have come to us from Chelsea aswell, though I'm not too sure.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:13 pm

the only other london player i can think of was possibly Ruddock from Spurs,also Paul Walsh from Luton i know its not London but its close enough :D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:16 pm

drummerphil wrote:Ray Kennedy was the best player signed from London.He was Shanklys last ever signing when he signed him as a centre forward from Arsenal.Bob Paisley moulded him into one of the top 5 midfielders our club have ever had.

our best ever midfield although before my time, is apparently
Kennedy Case Souness Terry Mac
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:22 pm

RAFABENITEZ wrote:
drummerphil wrote:Ray Kennedy was the best player signed from London.He was Shanklys last ever signing when he signed him as a centre forward from Arsenal.Bob Paisley moulded him into one of the top 5 midfielders our club have ever had.

I cannot argue with a word of that.They were class i never missed a home game between 1975 and 82.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:15 pm

Paul Stewart came from Spurs as well, didn't he?
ivor_the_injun

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:23 pm

Indirectly via Arsenal we got Anelka as well on loan, don't forget

Others...

Christian Ziege from Boro, then onto Spurs
Nick Barmby from Everton, formerly of Spurs
John Scales and Oyvind Leonhardsen from Wimbledon
Titi Camara and Julian Dicks from West Ham
ivor_the_injun

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:43 am

drummerphil wrote:
RAFABENITEZ wrote:

I cannot argue with a word of that.They were class i never missed a home game between 1975 and 82.

they were absolutely brilliant, souness and case were superb footballers but two of the hardest players ever to put on a pair of boots and kennedy was majestic, he always scored when we were in the :censored:, i remember he scored against st ettiene in that famous match and whilst faircloughs strike is always remembered like stevie g`s goal against olympiacos kennedys was like mellors i.e f@cking vital at the time. we were knocking on the door of the french champions goalmouth but without any reward, big ray gave us hope in that game.
he also scored in the vital league decider at wolves where we looked like we`d blown the league in the very last game away but won with goals from keegan, kennedy himself and toshack in the last five minutes when we went one down with quarter of an hour left!!
and of course his famous goal against bayern munich in the european cup semi final who were basically the german international side bar a couple of players who used to dominate world cups in those days, they drew 0-0 at anfield and where massive favourites on their own patch infront of 80,000 fans especially when kenny went off after ten minutes.
i could go on for ever about kennedys goals and the timing of them.
terry mcdermott had the engine of gerrard and sissoko combined and his one mission in life was to get into the box and score goals, he scored many memorable goals that were often goal of the season contenders and always seemed to be against spurs!! his claim to fame apart from winning player of the year has to be he was the man who scored liverpools first ever goal in a european cup final by doing in rome what he done all his liverpool career.
he sat on the bench for years as well as his career didnt really take off after we signed him after the 74 cup final from newcastle but he got his head down, worked hard, got in the first team and became a legend.
those were great days and they were a great team.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby drummerphil » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:19 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
drummerphil wrote:
RAFABENITEZ wrote:

they were absolutely brilliant, souness and case were superb footballers but two of the hardest players ever to put on a pair of boots and kennedy was majestic, he always scored when we were in the :censored:, i remember he scored against st ettiene in that famous match and whilst faircloughs strike is always remembered like stevie g`s goal against olympiacos kennedys was like mellors i.e f@cking vital at the time. we were knocking on the door of the french champions goalmouth but without any reward, big ray gave us hope in that game.
he also scored in the vital league decider at wolves where we looked like we`d blown the league in the very last game away but won with goals from keegan, kennedy himself and toshack in the last five minutes when we went one down with quarter of an hour left!!
and of course his famous goal against bayern munich in the european cup semi final who were basically the german international side bar a couple of players who used to dominate world cups in those days, they drew 0-0 at anfield and where massive favourites on their own patch infront of 80,000 fans especially when kenny went off after ten minutes.
i could go on for ever about kennedys goals and the timing of them.
terry mcdermott had the engine of gerrard and sissoko combined and his one mission in life was to get into the box and score goals, he scored many memorable goals that were often goal of the season contenders and always seemed to be against spurs!! his claim to fame apart from winning player of the year has to be he was the man who scored liverpools first ever goal in a european cup final by doing in rome what he done all his liverpool career.
he sat on the bench for years as well as his career didnt really take off after we signed him after the 74 cup final from newcastle but he got his head down, worked hard, got in the first team and became a legend.
those were great days and they were a great team.

the scariest thing about that era, i was only 7 in 1974 but i remember so much from back then and it only seems like yesterday.I;m 38 now and its bloody flying by.
my reason for living

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:25 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Titi Camara and Julian Dicks from West Ham

We sold Titi to West Ham

We sold Ronnie Rosenthal :bowdown to Spurs

I know it's not Chelsea or Arsenal but we got also got Johnny Barnes and Johnny Aldridge from Watford.
Last edited by Paul C on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion