Torres injury - Looks doubtful for everton game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:26 pm

peewee wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Fernando Torres' Merseyside derby aim:

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is determined to return to fitness in time for Saturday's derby at Everton.

Torres sustained an adductor injury while training with Spain but the 23-year-old, who has scored seven goals this season, said: "I intend to be fit for Saturday. I don't want to miss out. I've been told how special the game is and I need to be ready in time."

The £26.5 million summer signing from Atletico Madrid added:  "I have played in big derby matches before. I played for Atletico against Real Madrid and I'm looking forward to enjoying something similar."

From the Telegraph,

Link

but we all know now at Liverpool its not relevant if he is fit or not, even if he is fit there is no guarantee of him starting as 'everton may play too deep and that doesn't suit Torres game'.

so its all very well him saying he wants to play, but it might be his turn to be rotated out of the team.

guys some of us might sound like broken records but sadly thats the way it is at Liverpool now    :no

Bah humbug
LFC2007

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Sabre wrote:And well, some people has quickly said that the Gerrard/Mascherano partnership doesn't work.

If in the "some people" Sabes you are referring to myself, then this would be inacurate paraphrasing of what I feel on the subject to be perfectly honest. There is a World of difference between saying it clearly isn't working (which it isn't) and saying it doesn't and won't work.

I've alluded on a couple of occasions to the fact that when discussing compatibility it's not an easy comparison to make as Gerrard clearly is some way off his imperious best at the moment. That however, as I said in the post I think you refer to, doesn't excuse a reluctance on either of the current central midfielders part to show for the ball off the centre-halves. The attempt by the use of the phrase "has quickly said" to give some sort of indication of a knee-jerk over-reaction is not really in keeping with where I'm coming from to be perfectly honest.

Where I am coming from is when discussing all matters football there is it seems to me to be little point in dogma. I thought the Masherano/Gerrard partnership could be more suited to the effect the captain would have on the team and at the moment it isn't working. To me it would be pointless and silly to pretend that Alonso wouldn't walk back into the team based on the form of the current central midfield pairing.

As for rotation, when I used the phrase about the debate being "won", perhaps I should have used the words "it's over" as it sems to me that most everyone was accepting the basics of the argument and had agreed to let it go. Unfortunately, numerous posts (not from yourself I hasten to add) attempting to take some sort of footballing/loyalty moral high ground just keep the thing rumbling along.

The points which I thought/think have/had been accepted by pretty much everybody.

1. Rotating the team to the extent that we have has some effect, however miniscule some maintain but some anyhow, on the fluency and cohesion of the unit.

2. Rafa has largely stayed with a fairly settled team in the Premier League, but has changed the team quite a lot in the Cups.

3. We have changed the team in all competitions more than Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea.

4. However much rotation has had an effect on the effectiveness of the team (and even if the effect is nil), injuries certainly haven't helped either.

5. Rafa is a good manager who has transformed the club. He has built and is the process of building a very good squad of players. Nearly everyone doesn't think he should be kicked out/rotated, and most people think he should be given at least another year after this one provided we do OK this season.

5. Most people by now have an idea of where we would need to be come the end of the season for the campaign to be judged a success. Allowing for extenuating circumstances of course, but coming somewhere near to challenging for the Premiership is high on most peoples list (although obviously how close would vary from person to person), and some have alluded to good cup performances being sufficient if we don't go too well in the League. Whatever though, most people have made their stance fairly clear by now.

6. Most people (and I genuinely do think it would be most by now) think that on balance, on reflection, knowing what we know now etc etc etc not starting Torres at Portsmouth was probably a mistake. Most of those who think it was a mistake would accept that playing Torres wouldn't have made the win anything of a certainty, but most would accept (I think) that we would have had a little bit more chance of winning the game had he played.

7. We are not playing very well at the moment. However, most if not everyone would accept that we have made our best start under Rafa when results are compared to previous seasons. We are still unbeaten in the League.

Now this is what I meant about most people agreeing on most things, and only the fullness of time will show who called it on the money. Spare us though the various little jibes about "Oh I suppose that's Rafa's fault as well is it? or rotation Tee-Hee (oh how we laughed)". Forum fans are entitled to voice an opinion and no amount of trying (unsuccessfully) to take some sort of moral high ground will ever alter that.

As an add-on. I referred to the myth of players keeping soemthing in the tank for the end of the season being exploded which got some peoples backs up. Sorry for the wind-up but I do think the notion that you can rest somebody for half a game (because as we keep getting told, Torres DID play in that game) in September and it will have a positive effect on his peformance six months later is a complete and utter nonsense. Rest him for two months maybe, but put him through training, on the bus, stay in the Hotel, on the bench and play the last forty minutes instead of ninety and the body will be fresher in six months? Nonsense.
As he is showing right now, one injury however slight will alter the whole equation out of all recognition. Resting him at Pompey might have an effect on the following weekend, but not six months later. Not in my opinion anyway. Put it this way, it didn't make him fresher six weeks later because he got a muscle injury in training, so why it would carry forward six months is a complete mystery to me.

That aside though, I think most would agree with the other points  :D
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:58 pm

bigmick wrote:Where I am coming from is when discussing all matters football there is it seems to me to be little point in dogma.

I've just re-read it and this is the best bit  :D Little point in dogma coming from me, you couldn't make it up really could you?  :blush:
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:14 pm

bigmick wrote:
bigmick wrote:Where I am coming from is when discussing all matters football there is it seems to me to be little point in dogma.

I've just re-read it and this is the best bit  :D Little point in dogma coming from me, you couldn't make it up really could you?  :blush:

You know, mate, with your avatar and your staunch criticisms of rotation, I sometimes get an image in my head of two Rafas battling it out.  It's like one of those cheesy movies about evil twins, where this one (the clean-cut protagonist) believes in picking a settled side:

While this one (the evil usurper with the requisite 'baddy' facial hair) wants to rotate to keep the team fresh:

Which one will best the other and claim both the throne of Anfieldia and the hand of the beautiful princess Montse?  ???

:D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:28 pm

Hehe, no bigmick, in the post I reffered to you only when it was required, but in the Gerrard-Mascherano partnership, it's not one, nor two, but several posters that have mentioned it, thus the use of "some people"

I do agree many points you number, the problem is that I make additions. For instance, I agree point one, but then I have a point 1.b) If a good partnership in the middle are overused, then they'll notice the effort of playing in midweek. So, rotation affects, and non rotation affects too.

Which leads me again to the Gerrard Mascherano partnership. If many people were saying that Mascherano would be a better companion for Gerrard, they didn't think so because they felt like it, they thought so, because yesteryear we saw promising things coming from them (PSV game comes to mind). These players have been used, and have been used with success before, so, I'm not so sure I agree those who think they're not the best partnership now (cannot remember posters now, but I'm sure the point has been risen).

And that leads to uncomfortable questions. If Alonso isn't in the rotation ecuation, then, according to the antirotationists, Gerrard and Mascherano should benefit from that lack of rotations as they play more times together. Is there an improvement? well... not so far. Why? well, the stubborn bástards like me think that it's because Alonso isn't entering the rotations, and thus, they suffer from playing in midweek. They suffer the midweek game when they make a run in min 60, and they feel more exhausted, they feel that their legs do not respond as well as if they hadn't played in midweek.

Of course, if someone thinks that hasn't nothing to do with ALonso being out of rotations and just think that Gerrard is under his best, that's a perfectly reasonable opinion. I'm sure that we've missed ALonso, but I'm also sure that once he enters rotations again, the other quality players will be more fresh and will seem better.

To be honest Mick, I do enjoy that there's different opinions. Traditionally in this forum I've agreed your points wholeheartedly most of the times, and it's interesting to disagree, for once!  :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:39 am

! the end of the season will say who was right and wrong.

And if it doesnt work (again) after this season, I take it you'll be saying exactly the same thing, come next season ?
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:47 am

Zelda

Montse

:D
112-1077774096

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:47 am

That's a bit harsh Peewee :D
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
! the end of the season will say who was right and wrong.

And if it doesnt work (again) after this season, I take it you'll be saying exactly the same thing, come next season ?

No, because I expect the team win and have a laugh.

IMHO when you see the squads of 3 years ago and now there's more quality now (you all seem to agree Torres is a class act we didn't have yesteryear) so it makes sense to increase the demands to Rafa progresively. It didn't make sense to ask for the league after so many years when he came. It makes more sense now.

This year for instance, we have to be close.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion