Torres injury - Looks doubtful for everton game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Wilhelmsson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:36 pm

No Mark wrote:In all seriousness, do you go the game?

I have been to several, I do not attend matches because of the abuse I have been presented with from certain Scousers amongst the fan base, its more hassle than its worth in all honesty.

You’re right though, the language used at football matches is atrocious. As the old saying goes “Football is watched by hooligans and played by gentleman and Rugby is watched by gentleman and played by hooligans”.

Fair enough.

You tend to acclimatise to your environment. If those around you swear a lot - Miners, for instance, then most of the time you will follow suit to "fit in".

As an example, I would be very suprised if you said "Oh crumbs" in a rugby scrum if someone had just kneed you in the face.

Yes, that is very true, I am in an environment where there is little or no swearing at all, my parents rarely curse, I rarely curse and bar a few friends most of them rarely curse.

If you saw my height and build, you would soon understand why I do not participate in the sport, other than being a spectator. I know what you mean, but I doubt I’d swear the chances are I’d start crying or demand my own Chariot to carry me to the hospital.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Wilhelmsson wrote:Yes, that is very true, I am in an environment where there is little or no swearing at all, my parents rarely curse, I rarely curse and bar a few friends most of them rarely curse.

If you saw my height and build, you would soon understand why I do not participate in the sport, other than being a spectator. I know what you mean, but I doubt I’d swear the chances are I’d start crying or demand my own Chariot to carry me to the hospital.

:laugh:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Feugo » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:11 pm

i see a dark cloud coming.. please not again..
meh.. this thing scares me sometime..
En taro tassadar!

ImageImage
Feugo

Postby scouser 'til I die » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Feugo wrote:i see a dark cloud coming.. please not again..

this is just off topic but can you answer me one question please feugo, what in gods name is a meng? Its in your signature? has been pissing me off for ages

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby scouser 'til I die » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:13 pm

Feugo wrote:i see a dark cloud coming.. please not again..

this is just off topic but can you answer me one question please feugo, what in gods name is a meng? Its in your signature? has been pissing me off for ages. and meh? what are these strange words mate  ???

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:32 am

Fernando Torres' Merseyside derby aim:

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is determined to return to fitness in time for Saturday's derby at Everton.

Torres sustained an adductor injury while training with Spain but the 23-year-old, who has scored seven goals this season, said: "I intend to be fit for Saturday. I don't want to miss out. I've been told how special the game is and I need to be ready in time."

The £26.5 million summer signing from Atletico Madrid added:  "I have played in big derby matches before. I played for Atletico against Real Madrid and I'm looking forward to enjoying something similar."

From the Telegraph,

Link
LFC2007

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:51 am

hopefully he gets fit in time. he has a great record in the big games in spain
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:22 am

LFC2007 wrote:Fernando Torres' Merseyside derby aim:

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres is determined to return to fitness in time for Saturday's derby at Everton.

Torres sustained an adductor injury while training with Spain but the 23-year-old, who has scored seven goals this season, said: "I intend to be fit for Saturday. I don't want to miss out. I've been told how special the game is and I need to be ready in time."

The £26.5 million summer signing from Atletico Madrid added:  "I have played in big derby matches before. I played for Atletico against Real Madrid and I'm looking forward to enjoying something similar."

From the Telegraph,

Link

but we all know now at Liverpool its not relevant if he is fit or not, even if he is fit there is no guarantee of him starting as 'everton may play too deep and that doesn't suit Torres game'.

so its all very well him saying he wants to play, but it might be his turn to be rotated out of the team.

guys some of us might sound like broken records but sadly thats the way it is at Liverpool now    :no
112-1077774096

Postby bigmick » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:46 am

If anything the fact that most fans are on tenterhooks as to whether or not Torres will play or not, demonstrates the futility of not playing him in the other difficult Away game we've had so far. Fortunately I'm sure it will be once bitten twice shy as far as that one goes, but his fitness is certainly a worry given our paucity of cover.

I've tried my best not go on about the rotation thing recently and comment more about the team and individual players, just because I'm bored with the whole thing really and can't help feeling that the argument is kind of won TBH. It's strange though how those that think all is fine and dandy can't seem to let it go and are seemingly not getting involved in the player discussions. I would have thought that now we have surely demonstrated once and for all that changing the line-up as much as we have does nothing for the rhythm and flow of the team, and further the myth about rotation keeping players fresh at the end of the season has been exploded they would want to leave it but it seems not.

Whatever anyhow, though he is obviously not going to be as fit as he was the last time we decided not to "risk" him, and though Everton will no doubt defend very deep, I hope very much that he's fit and he plays.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:01 am

Wilhelmsson wrote:You’re right though, the language used at football matches is atrocious. As the old saying goes “Football is watched by hooligans and played by gentleman and Rugby is watched by gentleman and played by hooligans”.

Maybe you should jib the footie then ???

If swearing offends you so much?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 am

bigmick wrote:If anything the fact that most fans are on tenterhooks as to whether or not Torres will play or not, demonstrates the futility of not playing him in the other difficult Away game we've had so far. Fortunately I'm sure it will be once bitten twice shy as far as that one goes, but his fitness is certainly a worry given our paucity of cover.

I've tried my best not go on about the rotation thing recently and comment more about the team and individual players, just because I'm bored with the whole thing really and can't help feeling that the argument is kind of won TBH. It's strange though how those that think all is fine and dandy can't seem to let it go and are seemingly not getting involved in the player discussions. I would have thought that now we have surely demonstrated once and for all that changing the line-up as much as we have does nothing for the rhythm and flow of the team, and further the myth about rotation keeping players fresh at the end of the season has been exploded they would want to leave it but it seems not.

Whatever anyhow, though he is obviously not going to be as fit as he was the last time we decided not to "risk" him, and though Everton will no doubt defend very deep, I hope very much that he's fit and he plays.

I've bitten! IMO we're all bored with the rotation discussion, and although you've decided that you've 'won' the discussion (£1 Asda gift voucher is winging its way to NZ as we speak), the fact is that over this whole debate no evidence that points at rotation being the overwhelming factor in our dip in form, has transpired.

The point that fans are on tenterhooks waiting to see if Torres is fit bears no relevance to the Portsmouth team selection, and BTW Torres did play in that game, and has only missed 3 games this season, 2 being pre-season and the 4-0 CL home win, hardly underused, especially considering its his first season.

BTW i do not understand what your second paragraph is trying to explain???
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Feugo » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:08 am

scouser 'til I die wrote:this is just off topic but can you answer me one question please feugo, what in gods name is a meng? Its in your signature? has been :censored: me off for ages. and meh? what are these strange words mate  ???

Its the internet slang for "man"
like "hi man = hi mengz"
like "no way = no wai"
thats what happen when you play too much online games >.< got carried away
and sorry for the late reply scouser 'til I die
Last edited by Feugo on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
En taro tassadar!

ImageImage
Feugo

Postby tubby » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:04 am

No Mark wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
No Mark wrote:
Wilhelmsson wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Alternatively, it could be viewed that he is instructing the English language to its greatest effect by using those terms deemed "profanities".

Swear words are still viable in conversation, conveying a feeling which is otherwise difficult to suggest with an unnecessarily limited vocabulary.

In many climates today, swearing is not viewed as antisocial. Quite the opposite, infact.

Enter any building site, and you'll be awash with "F*cks" and "B*llocks", etc.

Walk into your local pub or Working Mens' Club - even the old biddies are at it.

Remember that, just because you are unaccustomed to it, that does not mean it's necessarily wrong. There's a whole World out there you've yet to discover, and judging someone purely because of the profanities they use is a little narrow-minded IMHO.

I understand what you are saying, but to me if people want to have a serious discussion than using profanities against those who have an alternative viewpoint simply isn't the way to go about having a serious discussion.

I personally dislike using such words, you are rather like Stephen Fry, whom enjoys nothing more than a good old curse now and again and I too have done so before, but it’s not what I want to hear and I have learnt to control my tongue, as it can land one in the most serious of consequences.

I tend to use other words such as ‘Oh sugar’ or ‘Oh crumbs’ instead of using the F word or the C word or any other word I deem to be unnecessary.

I am narrow minded in some instances, you won’t hear me say otherwise, but then is it not narrow minded to use profanities towards a person who has an alternative viewpoint to your own? Just to clarify, I do not judge someone solely on their use of what I deem profanities.

Lastly, does anyone know when Torres will return to action? I gather from what I have read that he’ll miss the Everton game and does anyone know how the injury came about?

In all seriousness, do you go the game?

Its spelt "games"

Up here its common practice to say:

"you going the game?"

I find it quite sad that in all the posts in all the forums, you have to look round and try, (I SAID TRY) and pull someone up on their punctuation, grammar or spelling. Is you life that sad?

Is "your" life that sad  :D

And the answer no, but im just very bored. No hard feelings.

Anyway I hope Torres is able to play at least a half if anything.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:10 am

Obviously i hope that Torres is fit enough to start on saturday but even if he is fit enough to make the bench it would be very good for us mentally.  Everton would have been jumping for joy when they heard Torres might miss the game. The fact that he may now be fit is a massive plus for us. They will be absolutely gutted when they see him in the starting line up.

Personally, i think that Torres will be ok to start. Lets hope so anyway.
mattylfc

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:53 am

redtrader74 wrote:
bigmick wrote:If anything the fact that most fans are on tenterhooks as to whether or not Torres will play or not, demonstrates the futility of not playing him in the other difficult Away game we've had so far. Fortunately I'm sure it will be once bitten twice shy as far as that one goes, but his fitness is certainly a worry given our paucity of cover.

I've bitten! IMO we're all bored with the rotation discussion, and although you've decided that you've 'won' the discussion (£1 Asda gift voucher is winging its way to NZ as we speak), the fact is that over this whole debate no evidence that points at rotation being the overwhelming factor in our dip in form, has transpired.

The point that fans are on tenterhooks waiting to see if Torres is fit bears no relevance to the Portsmouth team selection, and BTW Torres did play in that game, and has only missed 3 games this season, 2 being pre-season and the 4-0 CL home win, hardly underused, especially considering its his first season.

BTW i do not understand what your second paragraph is trying to explain???

The second paragraph is strange. Because he says a myth of the end of the season has exploded now, at the start of the season. So I guess he's referring to the adductors of Torres.

He also says he thinks he has won the discussion. Well, let him have that feeling, it won't hurt! the end of the season will say who was right and wrong. Bigmick after games like the 6-0 correctly said that we shouldn't get carried away the rotationist, after a couple of draws it's time to remember him the same thing, too early to say.

Ironically, Rafa has said recently that

"I think we are in a better position than last year. That is important. If we continue to be close to the top of the table, in two or three months and continue to change players I think we will be capable of doing something at the end of the season."

Which seems to imply that he was not too happy About not having ALonso and Agger in order to change players. So ironically he's far from admitting the glaring error other point out, rather, he thinks he was right and when we hadn't this injuries and we could change players it would have been better in the last games.

And well, some people has quickly said that the Gerrard/Mascherano partnership doesn't work. Perhaps it's not that. Perhaps having played some games together hasn't made them more "gelled" or with more "chemistry" like the antirotationists say, rather, they have been overplayed and noticed the midweek games. So it seems what Rafa thinks when you read his quote, but I admit is a very free interpretation.

Anyhow, who cares who wins discussions? The important thing is to beat Everton. If yesteryear I was confident about Liverpool without Torres, I expect no less this year if he's injured. Some players like Crouch can and must make a step forward and show the quality they have. If Torres is ready for the game, even the better, I promise that if we risk him and he gets seriously injured I won't go on a rant about resting players!  :D
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion