Title run-in - The home straight

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 pm

GYBS wrote:well anderson last season had gerrard in his pocket a few times and nani has scored some very crucial goals for them - they will get better for them as they will be given time by the manager

Anderson had a good game in a side that had the better of it mate. But that was only once.

They are nowhere near 17 million players and its a classic case of united spotting talent and paying well over the odds to get them first.
Like they did with Ronaldo - it did work with him, i guarantee it wont with these two.
The same Anderson that had Gerrard in his back pocket has still not scored in two seasons and i wouldnt say he protects the back four that well either.

As i said decent but not great.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed May 13, 2009 11:39 pm

roberto green wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
roberto green wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
DrPepe wrote:
GYBS wrote:but isnt the strength in depth just a myth thou doc ???? :;):

i've never believed that one, GYBS

that front line is ridiculous  :laugh:

and when the astute management of fergie sniffs out another 17m bargain teenager, it tells you everything  :talktothehand

Which 17 million bargain teenagers are these though mate ?

Although totally agree on the forwards.

The type of 17m Anderson and Nani type players?

Can't we sell them Ngog?

:D

Well basedon what we have seen on Anderson and Nani they are hardly bargains at 17 million.

Decent players deffo but not exactly players that have made a difference this season.

Think its more the strikers and having some decent experienced players like Giggs and Scholes to bring on when the likes of Park and Fletcher had run themselves into the ground and worn the other sides players out.

Nail on the head mate.

Even tho United have plenty of flair I think Ferguson has took a leaf out of Rafa's book especially in Europe and played the hardworking fellas like Park,Fletcher anderson,Carrick etc to fight for the win

Spot on, its amazing how nobody in the press or the pundits have got onto this.

Since united lost that semi to Milan 2 seasons ago so badly in the second leg Fergie has copied our style in europe and to an extent adopted it in the league as well.

Watch them when they play in big games where they fear the opposition a bit and they play at 100mph and when they lose posession watch how quickly the midfield get back behind the ball in banks of four.
Its very effective and the only reason for them it has been more effective than as against other sides is that the players they have on the counter are more productive.
We have Gerrard and Torres who havent been fit enough that can turn defensive into attack and they have Ronaldo and Rooney - who have been fit all season.

Thats the difference.

When they played Barca last year in the semis of the champions league i could have swore it was us playing - keep it tight everyone behind the ball and working hard without it.
Strangle the life out of the better footballing side.

Tbh i take my hat of that he learnt his lesson, shows he isnt as arrogant as i thought, but i really cant believe the fact that the papers and pundits cant see the big attacking dominant united sitting back and soaking up pressure then playing on the break.

Good side they are yes.

Great like they are made out to be - no.

We are better.

Also as an add on, thats why united have struggled in the league against teams they would usually roll over - because ferguson has changed the style for the champions league so much, its very hard to then totally change style for league games 2-3 days later.

He is as cautious at times as Rafa is - if he thinks the other team are a genuine threat, its just that he doesnt think it that often as they have dominated for a while.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu May 14, 2009 12:06 am

COME ON ARSENAL YOU BUNCH OF FANNIES!!!!!!
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu May 14, 2009 12:21 am

Well it does look like they are going to get over the line, and although they've done well I suppose to right the ship after we gave them a serious wobble, I think we deserve much credit for sticking at it as well. Two observations from tonights game. Firstly the contrast between our taking Gerrard AND Torres off at Wigan once they equalised at 1-1, and the Mancs relentless pursuit of the winner couldn't have been more marked. In this season of many lessons learned, that surely has to be one of the main ones.

The second observation was a slightly more technical one and in rare praise a couple astute pieces of management from Steve Bruce. Firstly is the fact that he's put toghether a decent team on a tight budget, and crucially seems to have tapped into the less glamourous and cheaper South American market. He's bought some good players on the cheap and deserves credit.

He deserves more credit for his clever little ruse on the free-kicks which showed the World how to unhinge Christiano Ronaldo. It's one of my favourite bits of football when someone works on something clever and it actually works, and whoever in the bWigan think tank came up with the ruse deserves full credit. They've obviously noticed from the numerous slow mo slots of Ronaldo taking a free-kick that he momentarily glances back in the direction of the goal and wall on his run-up, so they had a man dummy to close it down prematurely on every free kick he took. This little movement forward a pace or two and then back seemed to completely put Ronaldo off his rhythm, and every free kick cannoned into the wall. Very clever, very effective, and I've no doubt we'll see both other teams trying it from now on, and no doubt Ronaldo working on the training pitch to eradicate his second thoughts. Like I say, full marks to whover in the Wigan backroom team came up with that one.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 am

bigmick wrote:Well it does look like they are going to get over the line, and although they've done well I suppose to right the ship after we gave them a serious wobble, I think we deserve much credit for sticking at it as well. Two observations from tonights game. Firstly the contrast between our taking Gerrard AND Torres off at Wigan once they equalised at 1-1, and the Mancs relentless pursuit of the winner couldn't have been more marked. In this season of many lessons learned, that surely has to be one of the main ones.

The second observation was a slightly more technical one and in rare praise a couple astute pieces of management from Steve Bruce. Firstly is the fact that he's put toghether a decent team on a tight budget, and crucially seems to have tapped into the less glamourous and cheaper South American market. He's bought some good players on the cheap and deserves credit.

He deserves more credit for his clever little ruse on the free-kicks which showed the World how to unhinge Christiano Ronaldo. It's one of my favourite bits of football when someone works on something clever and it actually works, and whoever in the bWigan think tank came up with the ruse deserves full credit. They've obviously noticed from the numerous slow mo slots of Ronaldo taking a free-kick that he momentarily glances back in the direction of the goal and wall on his run-up, so they had a man dummy to close it down prematurely on every free kick he took. This little movement forward a pace or two and then back seemed to completely put Ronaldo off his rhythm, and every free kick cannoned into the wall. Very clever, very effective, and I've no doubt we'll see both other teams trying it from now on, and no doubt Ronaldo working on the training pitch to eradicate his second thoughts. Like I say, full marks to whover in the Wigan backroom team came up with that one.

Agree with ye on other games mick but i dont thin tonight there was as you said a relentless pursuit of a winner, thats probably because they were in so strong a position.

On the south americans, agreed.

Palacios looks very good, as does Valencia and now Fuguroa (however its spelt) looks more than capable as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu May 14, 2009 8:20 am

Igor Zidane wrote:COME ON ARSENAL YOU BUNCH OF FANNIES!!!!!!

I'll second that! I haven't lost all hope, i never fancied City or Wigan to get a damn thing anyway, I pinned all my hopes on Arsenal doing us a favour to take it into the last day. If it's 0-0 going into the last 10 minutes of that game who knows, you might just see the mancs tighten up a bit and a late winner for the gooners. If it goes our way that is how it will happen I think. I just hope they can get themselves up for one more game, their capitulation in the last two games should work in our favour.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
DrPepe wrote:

and when the astute management of fergie sniffs out another 17m bargain teenager, it tells you everything  :talktothehand

for example that croat(?) deal  he bought in the Jan transfer window, the likes of nani etc

No one comments on him spending that much cash on players he doesn't use, simply because he's got so many players on his book that cost 15m+

If rafa did the same he'd be slaughtered for being rubbish in the transfer marker (see: Keane, Robbie)
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Thu May 14, 2009 8:51 am

it's over, children.  now i really wish we were in the champ final against the mancs.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu May 14, 2009 10:19 am

DrPepe wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
DrPepe wrote:

for example that croat(?) deal  he bought in the Jan transfer window, the likes of nani etc

No one comments on him spending that much cash on players he doesn't use, simply because he's got so many players on his book that cost 15m+

If rafa did the same he'd be slaughtered for being rubbish in the transfer marker (see: Keane, Robbie)

I wasnt disagreeing that ferguson has spent loads of money on youngsters mate.
It was the fact that you had said that these players were bargains.

I am sure when he signed Nani and Anderson Aguero went to Athletico for less or a similar amount - he is a bargain as he is the top top level. The other two are not.

So i am agreeing with you about Fergies record in the transfer market.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu May 14, 2009 10:21 am

Well the last thing they are is bargains - over priced but i think Doc maybe of been sarcastic when he said bargains -

Augero was a bargain at the 18 odd mill he went for but it still took him a season and a bit to settle and flourish and really only did when Torres left.

It also seems that Man utd are forking out 7 mil on a 18 year CB from Brazil called Dodo ?!?!?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 pm

F*ck sake! It's going to be a hard 3 months until the new season starts again knowing that them w@nkers equaled our record. Still, there'll be news to wipe the smugness of the c*nts faces when Tevez and that crying b@stard Ronaldo f*cks off to Spain.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu May 14, 2009 4:26 pm

We're gonna win it next year and Fergie's gonna do one, that's how we're gonna remember the whiskey b@stard
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion