Title run-in - The home straight

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon May 04, 2009 9:52 am

DrPepe wrote:Good analysis from owzat!

I agree Consistency is the key. But I disagree about the relative importance of big4 games, as these are "6 pointers" in my view and should be concentrated on (our big4 form this season supplemented by a very marginal improvement against the rest would see us top now, whereas a worse record vs the big4 would have required a unrealistic improvement  against the dross)

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The fact is the mancs know you can pick up NINETY-SIX points against the rest of the Premiership compared to just EIGHTEEN against the 'big four'. We definitely needed to pick up more points against the 'big four', but you can't guarantee it and it doesn't necessarily make any difference. Maybe not losing major ground in those six games is important, but we've gained plenty on the mancs and are still behind. Nice "six pointer" quote, we took six points off the mancs and could end up six points behind. I think Reading have an excellent set of results against Brum, Wolves and Sheff Utd, but they finished fourth - because they couldn't win against sides like Forest, Charlton and Southampton. "Six pointers" is an age old theory, the bottom line is you can win those all you like, but the law of averages dictates that you'll play more games that aren't "six pointers" than are.

It's a fine balancing act, but it is easier to beat "the dross" than Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. Bottom line is we need to win 27+ games in a season and the mancs have already notched up 25 wins this season against sides outside the 'big four'. Of course I'm sure the mancs and fergie will bow to your say so on how best to go about winning the league  :p

Champions vs Runners-Up

08/09 : Lost home, lost away*
07/08 : Won home, lost away
06/07 : Drew home, drew away
05/06 : Won home, lost away
04/05 : Drew home, drew away
03/04 : Won home, won away
02/03 : Won home, drew away
01/02 : Drew home, won away

*assuming the top two stay the same

Only once in the past eight seasons including this have the side top of the table done the double over the side second - and that was the season Arsenal went unbeaten and finished ELEVEN points clear of second. This season will be the first in six seasons that hasn't ended in the top two getting equal points from the head to heads - the mancs took four points to Chelsea's one, we took six to the mancs zero and vice versa.

The media love "six pointers", it makes a game sound vitally important when often it isn't. "Biggest game of the season" is another the media love, many are taken in by it. Of course "six pointers" can sometimes decide the title when two teams are close on points, but equally if we'd won four of our home draws we'd be top so ground can be gained anywhere that points have been dropped. The biggest difference is there are more points to be gained or dropped against the 16 other teams, we've dropped just four points against the 'big four' and a whopping 24 against the rest of the Premiership.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue May 05, 2009 8:15 pm

anyone seriously think we can win it now? arsenal are losing 2-0 after just 11mins at home. the team thats expected to beat them scums. :(

(For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) It. to think our hopes lie on them and City is a rather bleak though with bleak prospects.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby DrPepe » Tue May 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Owzat wrote:It's a fine balancing act, but it is easier to beat "the dross" than Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. Bottom line is we need to win 27+ games in a season and the mancs have already notched up 25 wins this season against sides outside the 'big four'. Of course I'm sure the mancs and fergie will bow to your say so on how best to go about winning the league  :p

balancing act?  ???  :D

go out and win your 26 or so games, and if 4+ are against your rivals then you can also get the benefit of contributing to putting them out of the title race and keeping the pressure off

As i said "consistency is the key" - i certainly don't think the 6pointers are everything -but beating your challengers is certainly a more important 3 points than beating stoke (maybe not 6 points, but certainly 3.5 points :D )

THe 'bugger your neighbour' effect is exemplified by last season : beat the mancs home&away and we finish 3rd instead of 4th, and they finish 4th rather than 1st
:p
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby RedRoots » Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 pm

United beating Arsenal 3-0 at the moment, completely pathetic and inept performance from Arsenal might work out well for us as hopefully arsenal will be looking for revenge after this.

Makes me sick that United have had such an easy ride into this years final, hopefully barca turn on the style big time and knock those other scumbags tomorrow night then go on and do the business in the final against united.
RedRoots

Postby Alex G. » Tue May 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Consistency on the victories, 10 victories in a row, we never did it in the league.

What do you need for that??   Quality.

And i think we haven´t quality enough to do that.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Tue May 05, 2009 11:05 pm

RedRoots wrote:United beating Arsenal 3-0 at the moment, completely pathetic and inept performance from Arsenal might work out well for us as hopefully arsenal will be looking for revenge after this.

Their defence just let Ronaldo run them ragged, they should have doubled up on him and make the rest of the mancs earn their money. That said the mancs were lucky to be 2-0 up so early, first because the Arsenal kid fell over at an inopportune moment, and then the second because Ronaldo fell over. But Almunia could have done better with both shots, went to ground too early for Park's goal and should have got a hand to Ronaldo's free-kick that never should have been. The diving cheat has got it down to a fine art, he goes down like Elias (Willem Dafoe) out of platoon when he's being gunned down from behind. Watch replays of him going down and there is a delay before he goes down, even when there is contact.

Game was pretty much over thanks to a slip, a dive and a less than convincing keeper for both goals. No way Almunia for England, he's not English and if we need to resort to a near 32 year old Spaniard who ain't a lot better than what we've got, then we should just retire as a team from International football.

On Ronaldo, I've read praise of Arshavin for saying a tackle on him wasn't a penalty and asking why Ronaldo never does that. Well why would he? If he is going to dive to win penalties and then say it isn't a penalty, then he might as well not dive in the first place! It's about time the FA or UEFA or FIFA did something about that diving cheat, he brings the game into disrepute and only the manc fans and media that are sucking on his d1 ck won't admit he does. The usual retort to saying Ronaldo dives is retaliatory accusations at Gerrard and Owen. Maybe Ronaldo will suffer real injuries from all his diving as he gets older but no wiser

RedRoots wrote:Makes me sick that United have had such an easy ride into this years final, hopefully barca turn on the style big time and knock those other scumbags tomorrow night then go on and do the business in the final against united.

Could only have been slightly easier had they played Villareal first and the winners of Porto vs Arsenal. The ref must have thought he was reffing at old twatford the amount of soft awards he gave to the mancs.
Last edited by Owzat on Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Tue May 05, 2009 11:48 pm

RobinHood6969 wrote:Barring home draws we were clearly the better team this season. If we can change that and be a bit more miserly in defense, i guess nothing can stop us next season

Were we the better team in January as well??

Why can't you guys actually be a bit grown up and give credit where it's due. Manure are better than us this season FACT. It's impossible to be lucky in 38 games, what they are great at is winning when they play :censored:.  When we play :censored: we draw at home to Stoke, when they play :censored: they win 1-0. That is the difference but we are much much better this season.
heimdall

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue May 05, 2009 11:59 pm

heimdall wrote:
RobinHood6969 wrote:Barring home draws we were clearly the better team this season. If we can change that and be a bit more miserly in defense, i guess nothing can stop us next season

Why can't you guys actually be a bit grown up and give credit where it's due. Manure are better than us this season FACT. It's impossible to be lucky in 38 games, what they are great at is winning when they play :censored:.  When we play :censored: we draw at home to Stoke, when they play :censored: they win 1-0. That is the difference but we are much much better this season.

You a manc ?  :oops:
Kopite-Jud

Postby heimdall » Wed May 06, 2009 12:01 am

Kopite-Jud wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Yeah of course I am, how perceptive and original of you.  :no

No mate I'm not, I absolutely fecking hate Manure but I believe in giving credit where it's due which is why I have to begrudgingly admit that "Oil slick", aka Ronaldo, is probably one of the most sensational players I have ever seen, right up there with Stevie and Nando.
heimdall

Postby Madmax » Wed May 06, 2009 12:09 am

heimdall wrote:
Kopite-Jud wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Yeah of course I am, how perceptive and original of you.  :no

No mate I'm not, I absolutely fecking hate Manure but I believe in giving credit where it's due which is why I have to begrudgingly admit that "Oil slick", aka Ronaldo, is probably one of the most sensational players I have ever seen, right up there with Stevie and Nando.

Would agree with you there.. Even though mannure have been shyte many times this season they still pull out victories. Thats a sign of champions i guess.

As for ronaldo i was hoping the fecker would move to real madrid but looks doubful now. Without him i dont think mannure will be that good!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 am

Kopite-Jud wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Who knows, but most of his posts and replies to his posts follow a similar pattern. I was a bit surprised at the brevity of bans handed out recently, even if I agreed with a lot of what one member said in defence of those banned
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:19 am

Come PHUCKIN' ON, CITEH !!....Break a few legs, hammer the bejaysus outta them. Richard Dunne - bate the bleedin' head off as many of them as you like. Do it for your club, your (adopted) city, your country, for fun, for no other reason than it's the SCUM you're playing.....
I wanna see as many of the SCUM as possible hospitalised.....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby destro » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 am

heimdall wrote:Were we the better team in January as well??

??? No, but we were the better team in August,September,October,December and March if that helps  :;):
destro

Postby Octsky » Wed May 06, 2009 12:25 pm

seeing how the bunch of girls collapse against manure in the champs league, our chances of the title looks bleak. given man city is managed by fergie's old boy mark hughes, our chances look even worse.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed May 06, 2009 8:03 pm

Chelsea now 1-0 up. They are now playing like Stoke :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion