Champions league - Straight in?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:37 am

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Loving the fact that Chelsea still aren't good enough to make top seeds.

The italian league has resolved the champions league problem by allowing Roma, Chievo and Palermo to join Inter Milan in this years tournament.

So no automatic qualification this year people

So does this mean that Chelsea could again draw us in the group stages as they did last year ?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:39 am

bavlondon wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:Loving the fact that Chelsea still aren't good enough to make top seeds.

The italian league has resolved the champions league problem by allowing Roma, Chievo and Palermo to join Inter Milan in this years tournament.

So does this mean that Chelsea could again draw us in the group stages as they did last year ?

No teams of the same country cant draw each other in the group stage.
What happened last year was one off due to the circumstances of letting the holder of the cup back into the competition
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:41 am

laza wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

No teams of the same country cant draw each other in the group stage.
What happened last year was one off due to the circumstances of letting the holder of the cup back into the competition

Oh yes i forgot about that. Its too early in the morning.... :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:16 am

Although the good thing is because Chelsea are in the second pot they can meet the likes of Barcelona again. I'd love it if they beat them again (he says in a kevin keegan stylee)

:D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:25 am

chumpski are 2nd seeds, and i think they got that at the expense of AC Milan

:D  :D  :D  :D

i bet mourinho is sooooo angry :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:13 pm

Liverpool among top seeds in Europe

Jul 18 2006

By Nick Smith Daily Post Staff

LIVERPOOL will be among the top seeds for next season's Champions League draw, but Chelsea will again have to play second fiddle.

Despite being Premiership champions for two years' running, and even with the top Italian sides missing, Chelsea will be among the second seeds.

That is in comparison to their English rivals Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal, who have notched up more UEFA co-efficient points by having a longer history in Europe's elite club competition.

It will mean Jose Mourinho's side have a one-in-five chance of being in the same group as current European champions Barcelona, who beat them in the first knockout phase of the competition last season.
Beaten finalists Arsenal and 2005 champions Liverpool still need to qualify to take their place among the top seeds for the group phase and the Champions League third qualifying round draw is on July 28.

And they have been boosted by confirmation from UEFA that if they reach the group stages they will be fourth seed in the tournament with only Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter Milan ahead of them.

Celtic, who qualified automatically as Scottish champions, will be in the pot of second seeds.

Should they qualify, Hearts would almost certainly be one of the lowest seeds.

Even if Juventus and AC Milan win their appeals against their punishments for Italy's match-fixing scandal, their inclusion would not alter the seedings of any British sides in the draw
UEFA have given the Italian FA until July 25 to confirm which sides will be taking part in European competition next season.

With Juventus demoted to Serie B last week and AC Milan given a massive points deduction, Roma and Chievo are expected to join Inter Milan in the Champions League.

UEFA's procedure sees the 32 sides in the Champions League split into four pots of eight teams, divided according to their current European ranking.

Each group will contain one team from the top seeds, one from the second seeds, one for the third and one from the fourth.

Top pot of seeds for Champions League according to current UEFA co-efficient:

1 Barcelona (Spa) 127.0pts, 2 Real Madrid (Spa) 120.0, 3 Inter Milan (Ita) 112.0+, 4 Liverpool (Eng) 105.9*, 5 Arsenal (Eng) 101.9*, 6 Man Utd (Eng) 100.9, 7 Valencia (Spa) 95.0*, 8 Lyon (Fra) 89.7.

Second seeds:

9 Porto (Por) 87.5, 10 PSV Eindhoven (Hol) 81.6, 11 Bayern Munich (Ger) 80.9, 12 Chelsea (Eng) 79.9, 13 Roma (Ita) 76.0+, 14 Ajax (Hol) 60.6*, 15 Celtic (Sco) 60.0, 16 Lille (Fra) 54.7.

Others:

40 Hearts (Sco) 20. 0; 64 Cork City (Irl) 1.4, 68 Linfield (NIr) 0.77, 69 The New Saints FC (Wal) 0.77.

(* denotes needs to qualify, + denotes may change if Juventus and AC Milan win appeals in Italy against match-fixing punishment).

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby weringo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:25 pm

woof woof ! wrote:1 Barcelona (Spa) 127.0pts, 2 Real Madrid (Spa) 120.0, 3 Inter Milan (Ita) 112.0+, 4 Liverpool (Eng) 105.9*, 5 Arsenal (Eng) 101.9*, 6 Man Utd (Eng) 100.9, 7 Valencia (Spa) 95.0*, 8 Lyon (Fra) 89.7.

Why are Inter above us? What have they ever won recently, let alone get to the final of?
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby thegreedo » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:33 pm

Inter's scores in these co-efficient based rankings is a constant mystery to me.
Does anybody actually know why they score so high??

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anti-hero » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:44 pm

thegreedo wrote:Inter's scores in these co-efficient based rankings is a constant mystery to me.

What I want to know is the criteria that they use to base the rankings on..

I think Inter's high ranking may be attributed to their winning the Copa Italia.. 2 years on the trot, but thats just my theory anyways.

Look at Real Madrid.

They've won fuck for 3 seasons and yet they're second seeds?

What the fucks going on?  ???  :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:12 am

anti-hero wrote:
thegreedo wrote:Inter's scores in these co-efficient based rankings is a constant mystery to me.

What I want to know is the criteria that they use to base the rankings on..

I think Inter's high ranking may be attributed to their winning the Copa Italia.. 2 years on the trot, but thats just my theory anyways.

Look at Real Madrid.

They've won fuck for 3 seasons and yet they're second seeds?

What the fucks going on?  ???  :D

I have to say I always thought your co-efficient was calculated on your performances in European competitions over a number of years, hence Real's still lofty position. They, like us and the scum have many years of European pedigree, so our scores are high. Chelski's score appears to reflect the fact that they have only just recently bought there way on to the top table but Inter, I just can't work out for the life of me where their score has been earned.

Perhaps the reason they weren't embroiled in the ref-bung scandal in Italy was because they had used all their money bunging UEFA. Well, it's a theory! :eyebrow

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:22 am

They also add points for how well your countries other teams have done in the competition. Ie if Charlton won the league they would get 2nd seeded because of how well Liverpool/ Arsenal etc have performed in Europe even though they have no european experience themselves.
account deleted by request

Postby skipper » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:07 am

If you are looking at European competition, we've won the same amount of UEFA Cups as Inter and more CL/European Cup titles.  We won the CL in 2005 and other English teams have done all right in the past few years.  I would really like to know what the exact formula is.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:14 am

Not as well as Italian clubs though, milan have been in a raft of finals. So I presume inter get more points for being Italian based than we do for being england based.

Postby weringo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:22 am

s@int wrote:Not as well as Italian clubs though, milan have been in a raft of finals. So I presume inter get more points for being Italian based than we do for being england based.

So inter get more points than us just for being in the same league as two of the most recently successful european clubs even though they are shit and the other clubs they have to beat are shit (Middlesborough beat Roma  :laugh:)
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 am

its all the mancs fault for only winning it once when they had a decent team in the 90's(pussies)

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion