Champions league - Straight in?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:13 am

You need to know what this is about, and many papers and news channels have run the story without the background or reason for the ban. Let me explain.....

This is all came about when the new incoming government that took over in Greece in September last year intoroduced some laws/regulations regarding running the sport in Greece.

Basically, the sports minister was unhappy at the control that the big three in the greek league have over players, money and semingly influencing the refs. So he introduced some law that meant that total control for football was no longer the Greek FA's.

FIFA demands that all football is independently (of the country's government) run, so as this contravened FIFA's regulations, they (GreeK FA) where ordered in October 2005 to make sure that the law was changed or removed by 15th July 2006.

This move by FIFA is a flexing of the muscles, nothing more, and I predict that this will be sorted and the ban lifted by 15th July.

I doubt it that the ban would mean our entry to the third round, however the Italian LEague investigations, and the subsequent proposals by the prosecutors that the old lady is demoted to Serie C and Lazio, Milan and Fiorentina demoted to Serie B is more intresting and may have more legs.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kano » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:54 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:You need to know what this is about, and many papers and news channels have run the story without the background or reason for the ban. Let me explain.....

This is all came about when the new incoming government that took over in Greece in September last year intoroduced some laws/regulations regarding running the sport in Greece.

Basically, the sports minister was unhappy at the control that the big three in the greek league have over players, money and semingly influencing the refs. So he introduced some law that meant that total control for football was no longer the Greek FA's.

FIFA demands that all football is independently (of the country's government) run, so as this contravened FIFA's regulations, they (GreeK FA) where ordered in October 2005 to make sure that the law was changed or removed by 15th July 2006.

This move by FIFA is a flexing of the muscles, nothing more, and I predict that this will be sorted and the ban lifted by 15th July.

I doubt it that the ban would mean our entry to the third round, however the Italian LEague investigations, and the subsequent proposals by the prosecutors that the old lady is demoted to Serie C and Lazio, Milan and Fiorentina demoted to Serie B is more intresting and may have more legs.

Realistically can you see any of those clubs getting relegated ?

I mean like someone said in another thread inter got away lightly with throwing flares at players in last years semi final.

Chelsea were supposedly going to be given points deducted if found guilty of the tapping up nonsense with Ashely Cole.

A team like Juventus is so politically connected that I can only see some :censored: fine being the outcome.

Then again I think there was a case of match fixing in the 80's in Italy but i cant remember what was the punishment there.
Kano

Postby radun5 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:44 am

Not wanting to spoil your enthusiasm, but I think the place of the Greek Champions in the groups was given by country, not by club ranking... that would mean that their place should be normally taken by the champion club from next country (which I do not know who is)

Anyway the ban will probably be lifted and Liverpool will have to win the damn qualifying game
radun5

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:33 am

Kano wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:You need to know what this is about, and many papers and news channels have run the story without the background or reason for the ban. Let me explain.....

I mean like someone said in another thread inter got away lightly with throwing flares at players in last years semi final.

Chelsea were supposedly going to be given points deducted if found guilty of the tapping up nonsense with Ashely Cole.

A team like Juventus is so politically connected that I can only see some :censored: fine being the outcome.

Then again I think there was a case of match fixing in the 80's in Italy but i cant remember what was the punishment there.

I thought htesame, but remember what happened to MArseille when they were found guilty or corruption ?

They dropped two divisions.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:45 am

Napoli were relegated to Serie B a couple of years ago, for financial irregularities I think.  Of course, they're a smaller club with less influence.  At this rate, Serie B will be better than Serie A.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:28 am

radun5 wrote:Not wanting to spoil your enthusiasm, but I think the place of the Greek Champions in the groups was given by country, not by club ranking... that would mean that their place should be normally taken by the champion club from next country (which I do not know who is)

Anyway the ban will probably be lifted and Liverpool will have to win the damn qualifying game

No it wouldn't.

It would go to the highest ranking club in the 3rd Qualifying round.

WHy should some tin-pot club from Cyprus get in the Champions' League proper, while the ex-champs have to qualify?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clint » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 am

i heard juve has basically acepted relagation to serie b but still might have to go to serie c
clint

Postby Crouchamania » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:36 am

Hope it comes off i hate playing Greek teams especially Olympiakos. We so nearly went out to them in 2004/5 and i cant go through all that again.
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby callaway360 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:46 am

that game had my heart racing. it was like the champions league final
we love yu liverpool we do,
OOOH LIVERPOOL WE LOVE YU
callaway360

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:03 pm

callaway360 wrote:that game had my heart racing. it was like the champions league final

A bit ott, but a superb game nonetheless.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Kano wrote:

I thought htesame, but remember what happened to MArseille when they were found guilty or corruption ?

They dropped two divisions.

Fiorentina would be gutted aswell becasue they fought so hard to come back out into Serie A after they got relegated a few years ago.
Last edited by tubby on Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:13 pm

From SSN

Fifa lift Greece ban

Fifa have lifted their suspension on the Greek Football Federation.

European champions Greece were banned from all international competition last week because of political involvement in the running of the country's football.

The ban had raised a doubt over Greece's game with England on August 16, but the fixture is now set to go-ahead.

The Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) approved a revised sports bill which was passed by the Greek parliament on Tuesday night to try and clear up the matter.

Fifa have accepted the revised set-up and Greece will now have the suspension removed.

"In view of this amendment, the Fifa Emergency Committee deemed that the (federation) is now in a position to respect the statutes and regulations of Fifa as well as those of Uefa," read a Fifa statement.

"As a result, the suspension previously imposed on the Hellenic Football Federation has been lifted as of today."
-------------------
guess we wont be going straight in then!
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Redman in wales wrote:From SSN

Fifa lift Greece ban

European champions Greece were banned from all international competition last week because of political involvement in the running of the country's football.

The ban had raised a doubt over Greece's game with England on August 16, but the fixture is now set to go-ahead.

The Hellenic Football Federation (EPO) approved a revised sports bill which was passed by the Greek parliament on Tuesday night to try and clear up the matter.

Fifa have accepted the revised set-up and Greece will now have the suspension removed.

"In view of this amendment, the Fifa Emergency Committee deemed that the (federation) is now in a position to respect the statutes and regulations of Fifa as well as those of Uefa," read a Fifa statement.

"As a result, the suspension previously imposed on the Hellenic Football Federation has been lifted as of today."
-------------------

pity.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:39 pm

oh well we'll just have to do it the hard way. at least there'll be a bit more tv money.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Effes » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:32 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:From SSN

Fifa lift Greece ban

-------------------

pity.

It would have been a bit tight on the fans though wouldn't it?
I mean, the clubs don't seem  to be found guilty of doing anything.... unlike those cheating, double crossing Ities...

the way they behaved in the 2nd world war tells you all -
On Hitler's side til we were winning, so joined us.... lilly livered...
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion