TIAGO ILORI - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Here's his performance yesterday, check out the Alonso-esque assist - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8drZCnNNY
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:10 pm

RedAnt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 am wrote:Loaning out youngsters makes no sense. If they're not good enough to play for us why sign them? So we invest in the future then loan them out to get experience. I imagine what players learn whilst on loan at grade B and C teams on the field (competitiveness, how to stand up for yourself) are of limited value, and in some cases, detrimental to development. We've shared Suso's wages with other clubs for years and he's never been deemed good enough for us. Why learn the game at a lower level? It makes little sense to me. The early years of a players career shape his mentality and style and should be learned with us, if they're any good of course. But then we have Coates too, and ahead of him, Sahko, Skrtel, Agger and Toure. We deemed it vital to the squad to replace Cara, and brought in Sahko too. If the old defensive head is good for a squad, why not a young, hungry lad like this Portuguese fella who is clearly held in high regard and with a good future. Should be learning his trade with us.

They say if you're young enough, your good enough, but this lad is what, 20, 21? Not particularly young in comparison to some, and now in lower tier Spain. The mind boggles.

No European football and an early exit from the Carling Cup made it impossible to get any of the youngsters a game or two here. 

There needs to be some kind of competitive football for youngsters who are too good for under age football but not quite ready for first 11. 

Otherwise the only option is to send them on loan to get some games.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:33 pm

jacdaniel » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 am wrote:Loaning out youngsters makes no sense. If they're not good enough to play for us why sign them? So we invest in the future then loan them out to get experience. I imagine what players learn whilst on loan at grade B and C teams on the field (competitiveness, how to stand up for yourself) are of limited value, and in some cases, detrimental to development. We've shared Suso's wages with other clubs for years and he's never been deemed good enough for us. Why learn the game at a lower level? It makes little sense to me. The early years of a players career shape his mentality and style and should be learned with us, if they're any good of course. But then we have Coates too, and ahead of him, Sahko, Skrtel, Agger and Toure. We deemed it vital to the squad to replace Cara, and brought in Sahko too. If the old defensive head is good for a squad, why not a young, hungry lad like this Portuguese fella who is clearly held in high regard and with a good future. Should be learning his trade with us.

They say if you're young enough, your good enough, but this lad is what, 20, 21? Not particularly young in comparison to some, and now in lower tier Spain. The mind boggles.

No European football and an early exit from the Carling Cup made it impossible to get any of the youngsters a game or two here. 

There needs to be some kind of competitive football for youngsters who are too good for under age football but not quite ready for first 11. 

Otherwise the only option is to send them on loan to get some games.

Yup, spot on.
That was the one redeeming feature about the Europa league (although now the winners qualify for the CL which is another).
The fact that there were plenty of games and the standard wasn't that high (especially early on) meant that you could give a lot of your fringe players and players coming through the ranks a fair amount of game time. The likes of Shelvey, Suso, Wisdom, Kelly, Coady and even Sterling and Hendo deffo benefitted from playing in the EL. They also got to travel abroad and play alongside experienced pro's like Dirk, Maxi and Carra, invaluable experience when you are 18/19/20 etc.
One season someone like Wisom played over 30 games for us and didn't appear in the league once.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm

I understand the point of loaning out some of the positives and negatives. Just a bit of a damp squib when we sign these boys and loan them out. Our defence had been a bit dodgy for ages now. There'd be chances for him this year. When we were hammering Arsenal for example. Chuck the lad in and see how it goes. BR has been an advocate of youth so far.

My point is that at 21, if he's any good, he should be on our bench this season. Suso too. Wouldn't have hurt to keep Robbo either with Enrique out and this being Aly C's (can't spell it) first season (loan).
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 am wrote:Here's his performance yesterday, check out the Alonso-esque assist - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_H8drZCnNNY

Superb passing range! The game in England is at a higher tempo though. But looks really promising.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Granada, perhaps looking to buy on a permanent deal, doubt we would sell though

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/ ... -targeted/?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Boocity » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:33 am

Should partner Sakho next season

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/46278-liverpool-loanee-proves-too-good-for-messi.php

Granada defender Tiago Ilori has reminded Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers of his qualities after producing a solid display against Barcelona's Lionel Messi.

Following Barcelona's 1-0 defeat to Granada, four-time Ballon d'Or winner Leo Messi swapped shirts with Tiago Ilori after the English born defender produced a solid display to stop the Argentine.

Ilori is currently on loan with the Spanish side from Premier League club Liverpool but his latest performance will undoubtedly gain plaudits from Reds boss Brendan Rodgers.

The 21-year-old began his career with Sporting Lisbon before moving back to his native England with Liverpool in 2013 but he was immediately loaned out to the Andalusian side.

Ilori has represented the Portuguese national side at U18 to U21 level but it is still possible for the defender to represent the English national team
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:17 pm

It appears that he's had a good game. Hopefully it wasn't a one-off. I agree with Boocity, he has the potential of having a good future with Sakho.

damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:54 pm

The kid had an absolute mare against Sevilla ,including one decidedly weak back pass that resulted in a goal ,and yet he was
imperious against Barcelona.......It seems like even the most talented and cultured of defenders can have the odd howler.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon May 19, 2014 4:30 pm

An overview on Ilori's performance this season

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2068 ... ed-or-fail
maypaxvobiscum

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 19, 2014 6:59 pm

still reckon it would have been better for us and the player if he had of been loaned to a lower prem club and now it will be interesting to see how much this lad features next year. if he ends up just being used in cup games then we wasted more money.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Personally I'm sick and Fu*king tired of our investment in "maybes' " who then almost immediately get shipped out on loan or if they hang about just never get a look in.

If you (the management and scouts) think he's worth signing then why not keep the fella here for a season at least. Drill him into our culture and let the lad make a few 1st team appearances if only as a sub ?

For me, big f'ucking question marks still hang over our recruitment policy .There's far too much throwing £7-£10 million pounds worth of money at the wall in the hope that some of it turns out to not just be sloppy shi't and that some of it actually sticks.

Take Aspas as an example !

Virtually 99.9% percent of the people in here thought WTF !!!! why are we signing him ? !!!

He was signed AND maybe the management will eventually explain to us just exactly what it was he added to the team.

I think most of the members in here (that includes me) are a sandwich short of a picnic when it comes to transfers and targets but there are times when I think the New Kit regulars could probably make better decisions about who we bring in than the those who actually have the power to negotiate and sign the contacts.

Love what we've done this season, just not convinced we'll have the "brains" to sort ourselves out for the next one.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Santa » Tue May 20, 2014 1:59 am

If we don't strengthen the key areas and with high calibre signings this summer, we can expect a tough season next. No longer will we be able to surprise teams with our (pretty one-dimensional) brand of football but the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd being armed with £100M & £200M respectively will mean we get left behind yet again. Chelsea will spend big on a couple of key signings and with Courtois back, they will be tough to crack. I'm worried when we are being linked with second rated players and the club is back to it's old way of haggling with the selling clubs over a few million Quid's when we know what's at stake. We will ended up with some half-arsed signings that will not make us better team than what we currently have. :(

And what's all the sh it with us being linked to so many ex-Swansea players???
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 20, 2014 3:25 am

Santa » Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 am wrote:If we don't strengthen the key areas and with high calibre signings this summer, we can expect a tough season next. No longer will we be able to surprise teams with our (pretty one-dimensional) brand of football but the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd being armed with £100M & £200M respectively will mean we get left behind yet again. Chelsea will spend big on a couple of key signings and with Courtois back, they will be tough to crack. I'm worried when we are being linked with second rated players and the club is back to it's old way of haggling with the selling clubs over a few million Quid's when we know what's at stake. We will ended up with some half-arsed signings that will not make us better team than what we currently have. :(

one thing this season should have taught you is that Brendan Rodgers has a plan and a vision that was executed near on perfectly this season. Despite a poor mid season transfer window.

I back him to continue to succeed rather than spouting stupid negativity, hoping for failure.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 am

SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 am wrote:
Santa » Tue May 20, 2014 12:59 am wrote:If we don't strengthen the key areas and with high calibre signings this summer, we can expect a tough season next. No longer will we be able to surprise teams with our (pretty one-dimensional) brand of football but the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd being armed with £100M & £200M respectively will mean we get left behind yet again. Chelsea will spend big on a couple of key signings and with Courtois back, they will be tough to crack. I'm worried when we are being linked with second rated players and the club is back to it's old way of haggling with the selling clubs over a few million Quid's when we know what's at stake. We will ended up with some half-arsed signings that will not make us better team than what we currently have. :(

one thing this season should have taught you is that Brendan Rodgers has a plan and a vision that was executed near on perfectly this season. Despite a poor mid season transfer window.

I back him to continue to succeed rather than spouting stupid negativity, hoping for failure.

Only a half dead mo ron will fail to understand the reality of the situation or to properly prepare for the challenges that's coming ahead of us. Sure Brendan has been a breath of fresh air and the team have managed to punch above it's weight but make no mistake...we do have a relatively inexperience manager here and it is not fair to assume that he will be able to perform miracle year after year without a proper team to carry the weight of expectations. This season has show both the potential and the shortcoming of Brendan and we missed out by a whisker to land the title. We are also unable to call upon the likes of Dzeko, the Negredo, Fernandinho, the Javi Garcia, Schurrle, Ramires etc when we missed anyone of our starting eleven. It is precisely these factors that we need to prepare well and failure to recognised these red flags will mean we take a two steps back. Even a perpetually optimistic me can recognised this but some blind T*ss*r will think this is being negative...but maybe that's how some people rather live their live by living in their perpetual dreamland?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion