The strikers - Cisse|fernando|baros|crouch

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:17 pm

If I were a Chelsea fan, I would be very worried about every season. What Chelsea achieved last Season was spectacular and as much as I don't like Mourinho's attitude, he definatly has some talent. But this season will be much harder. All of the top six teams from last season, except for whoever it was that finished fourth, have vastly improved. Ok, :censored:-nel lost Viera, but they will bring in good players and Wenger never buys duds. Fergascum will get a couple of new big boys, Boro look a bit more solid (but they won't challenge) and we actually have a squad with quality and depth which is something of a relief after Houllier's reign. There is no doubt that SWP and Del Horno will do great things for you and your existing squad is V. strong indeed.

But now, you become the hunted. The scalps of the holders are always treasured and just like the Gunners last season, you are the new targets. It's the same for us in Europe. Everyone wants to knock us out, and everyone wants to knock you off the top. Your major problm is still upfront. Crespo obviously resents not being in Milan and his troubled family life will take his mind off his game. Cole is not as good as Forsell and I'll never understand why you sold him. Drogba was never worth £26m or however much you payed for him. And Gudjohnsson, probably the best of your bunch, looks better as an attacking mid-fielder and not an out and out man. But hey, you've got Lampard, Robben, Duff, Cole, SWP and JT right? Not bad, i'll give you that.

You're also going to find it very hard to aquire players soon. I'm suprised that it is only the French clubs that have adobted the "1 price for Chelsea, 1 price for everyone else" stance. If we had gone for Drogba before you guys, we may well have got him for £15m, and the stance that Lyon are taking with Essien will catch on. For Arsenal it's £21m, for you it's £31m. This will catch on. It did for Real. Look at how much Robinho is going to cost them, £28m, but if it had been Real Zaragoza before anyone else, they may have been talking £10m.

Mourinho's attitude is also a danger. Strong personalities tend to clash and Mourinho, Kenyon and Abramovich do possess these. One fall out and it's bye bye Jose. And FYI, apparently Arnesen isn't that easy to work with. But this sort of thing may not happen for five years.

My biggest concern, and I would be very interested to find out what you think about this, is "what if Roman goes?". Unless you can find another Billionaire to front up the wage bill and everything else that Chelsea has become since his arrival, you may face administration. Of course this is all very hyperthetical, but if you don't continue winning, is Roman really going to hang around? He isn't a "real" fan, he has no emotional attachment, he has no loyalty and he still has CSKA to crawl back to. Not to mention that rumours abound that the KGB (which of course don't exist anymore, yeah right) are after him and all his other oil baron buddies fuel the suspition that his reign at Chelsea will be short lived.

I would like to know if you guys do actually have any real concerns for the fast approaching new season. Good luck, but it's gonna be a tighter finish.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:29 pm

Chelsea forever. wrote:You speak of rules on this illustrious site? I have been respectful of the Club, its players, its manager, this forum and everyone on here since the day i wrote my first post. If it is otherwise then im sure the Mods will point it out to me.

All you say is Jose is not a gentleman and is guitly of tapups, and that Roman will leave the club one day, and that we buy success and money money money. Now if your up for a logical explaination of your comments and a healthy debate then im here, if your on a slagging match and if each post of yours has 2 lines directed to Jose and the club then id rather not respond.

Lets get one thing straight , you're welcome in here as you have been "respectful " and have not set out to wind anyone up BUT don't start thinking that anyone in here seriously respects Chelsea FC.
Abramovich may well be the best thing thats happend to Chelsea but he's also the worst thing that has happend to the european transer market . I admit if we also had a daddy with his amount of cash we'd also be smiling but it wouldn't change the fact that when it comes to transfers ,one club with limitless reserves of cash i.e the ability to outbid any club by paying stupid prices is NOT good for the game..eg Drogba , I rate him ,but even you lot know you paid way over the odds for him . With your money it's almost as if you have bullied your way to success.

Mourinho ? Hey , he's you're manager so I fully expect you to support him , he's a very entertaining and succesful character and in many ways a breath of fresh air ,reminds me in many ways of Brian Clough , but unlike Cloughie his self belief has a sour streak ,I never saw Coughie putting his finger to his lips in front of opposing fans when his team scored . A degree of the word Humility is obviously not in Jose's portugese/english phrase book .

Your team has some superb players and yet you earn little respect from opposing fans . Arsenal and Man U actually play far more attractive football than Chelsea but they like us didn't have the good fortune to "win the lottery", instead they had to  build their way to success . If you think the "lottery" comment is unfair ,ask yourself where Chelsea would be if Ken Bates was still running the club ,( for starters you wouldn't have Mourinho ) .
You seem like an ok bloke and I've enjoyed your contribution to this forum but don't misconstrue our failure to tell you to just "do one " as a signal that any real LFC supporters have some respect for your club . Most of us fu'ckin' hate you   :angry:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:09 pm

i echo your words woof. i feel he has shot himself in the foot here.

yes, he wants healthy debate, but doesnt like it when we criticise his club. well chelski brings it on themselves, i hope they win fu'ck all this season.

but i hope lampard does well for England though

to all lfc fans here and worldwide - YNWA

we are liverpool, the greatest trophy winning side in England, bar none  :cool:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Chelsea fans may think that everything in their garden is rosy but it is not by any means.

So far this summer, the transfer market has been characterised by the clutch of star names who have said no to Chelsea. Those declining the lure of Roman Abramovich’s chequebook include Andrii Shevchenko, Samuel Eto’o, Adriano, David Trezeguet, Steven Gerrard and, most recently, Ronaldinho. In other words, a first eleven of world superstars.

Barcelona are preparing to offer Ronaldinho a contract that will keep him at the club for the rest of his player career – and beyond. Similarly, Eto’o has agreed a lucrative contract extension with Barca, while the likes of Shevchenko, Trezeguet and Adriano have committed themselves to their repsective Italian clubs.

As Gerrard demonstrated in his protracted contract negotiations with Liverpool, money is not the primary concern for these players because they are already among the best paid in their profession. They know, as their agents will have no doubt informed them, that they could earn bigger salaries at Chelsea. But can Chelsea offer them a greater chance of success? A glance at the recent records of Milan, Barcelona, even Liverpool, suggests otherwise.

With the exception of Gerrard, all the star names who have turned down Chelsea have also rejected the Engish Premier League. It’s no coincidence that in a season that culminates in a World Cup finals, a gruelling English season, with no winter break, does not appeal, no matter how big the financial carrot dangled in front of them.
So Chelsea continue their quest for new additions – all funded by Abramovich, who last week banked the mother of all bonuses, a £750million share dividend payout from the profits of his oil company Sibneft.

Yet Abramovich’s millions are all dressed up with nowhere to go.

Perhaps the most significant transfer for Chelsea this summer has been the acquisition of technical director Frank Arnesen.The ham-fisted negotiations with Spurs matter little now. Arnesen’s arrival in September will be a recognition by Abramovich that chief executive Peter Kenyon has failed to deliver the transfer goods, just as he failed to sign Ronaldinho as a replacement for David Beckham when he performed the same, highly-renumerated role at Manchester United.

Abramovich, Kenyon and Chelsea are discovering that money can buy many things in football. But respect has to be earned.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:35 pm

stmichael wrote:Chelsea fans may think that everything in their garden is rosy but it is not by any means.

So far this summer, the transfer market has been characterised by the clutch of star names who have said no to Chelsea. Those declining the lure of Roman Abramovich’s chequebook include Andrii Shevchenko, Samuel Eto’o, Adriano, David Trezeguet, Steven Gerrard and, most recently, Ronaldinho. In other words, a first eleven of world superstars.

Barcelona are preparing to offer Ronaldinho a contract that will keep him at the club for the rest of his player career – and beyond. Similarly, Eto’o has agreed a lucrative contract extension with Barca, while the likes of Shevchenko, Trezeguet and Adriano have committed themselves to their repsective Italian clubs.

As Gerrard demonstrated in his protracted contract negotiations with Liverpool, money is not the primary concern for these players because they are already among the best paid in their profession. They know, as their agents will have no doubt informed them, that they could earn bigger salaries at Chelsea. But can Chelsea offer them a greater chance of success? A glance at the recent records of Milan, Barcelona, even Liverpool, suggests otherwise.

With the exception of Gerrard, all the star names who have turned down Chelsea have also rejected the Engish Premier League. It’s no coincidence that in a season that culminates in a World Cup finals, a gruelling English season, with no winter break, does not appeal, no matter how big the financial carrot dangled in front of them.
So Chelsea continue their quest for new additions – all funded by Abramovich, who last week banked the mother of all bonuses, a £750million share dividend payout from the profits of his oil company Sibneft.

Yet Abramovich’s millions are all dressed up with nowhere to go.

Perhaps the most significant transfer for Chelsea this summer has been the acquisition of technical director Frank Arnesen.The ham-fisted negotiations with Spurs matter little now. Arnesen’s arrival in September will be a recognition by Abramovich that chief executive Peter Kenyon has failed to deliver the transfer goods, just as he failed to sign Ronaldinho as a replacement for David Beckham when he performed the same, highly-renumerated role at Manchester United.

Abramovich, Kenyon and Chelsea are discovering that money can buy many things in football. But respect has to be earned.

that is the best thing ive seen all day, great post Mikey.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:37 am

The Ace 1983 -

Sure this season will be much harder, and the season after even more and so on and so forth, as all the teams are getting new players, getting stronger and it will be a tough dog fight. But only the strong will survive and only time will tell who the strong are.

Yes we are the hunted, and so are you. But the key is to lure the hunter deep into the forest, where he cannot navigate himself and is lost in the wilderness, there the panther strikers and the hunter becomes the hunted - dead. We paid 24M for Drogba, and I agree he is no worth that much at all. But I believe with a strike force of Drogba | Crespo | Guddy and Cole we are well sorted. I don’t think we will have problems scoring goals as Robben, Duff, Cole, Phillips, Lampard all have goals in them, and if Makelele continues to score those penalties then we are safe :laugh:

You might be right about other clubs paying less for the same player. But this is what comes with being a top club and having a rich owner. It has happened to Madrid, Juve, Milan, Manu and now Us. I don’t think we will face a problem in signing players because we wont have to sign that many in a few years time. Jose has said he wants 2 players next season and maybe 1 after that and in the 5th year no signings. So lets see if we follow that path.

I don’t think Jose and Roman will have a rift. The good thing about Roman is that he loves the game. Hs isn’t here to run this as a business, he loves football and he loves Chelsea. He is here to stay. So I am not concerned about him leaving, sure you never know what happens tomorrow and that is life - it applies to everything in life. But Roman isn’t the rich daddy sitting in the office, he is present at each game, he talks to the players and the manager and he is very involved in the club.

""I would like to know if you guys do actually have any real concerns for the fast approaching new season. Good luck, but it's going to be a tighter finish. :laugh: ""

I don’t think we have any major concerns, the only concern is consistency. And with the squad we have I believe a healthy rotation of players will keep that consistency up. Oh yeah .. once concern is to wait and see if Drogba drank enough beer to get a belly which could go in goal  :cool:

---------------------------------------------------

Woof -

Lets get another thing straight, Im not on here to win people over or to talk great things about my club. Infact I very seldom even post anything related to Chelsea. I came here initially to congratulate you lot on your win over us in the CL and there after have just been here to give my views on your club, players etc. If I am not wanted of If my posts are offensive or of no value that I would request the Mods to tell me so, so I know not to visit again.

Sure we have an upper hand in the transfer market. But then so would any club with money. If tomorrow Liverpool discovered 1000 oil mines under Anfield then you would have more money than us and I would be saying this about you. Madrid just paid 29M for Robhino, a kid from the Brazilian league!

Yes Jose is an interesting character, but I don’t think the finger was directed towards you. He even apologized and said it was to the media who were giving him a very very tough time during that period.

I agree Arsenal play attractive football. Hell I haven’t seen passing like that ever, smooth flowing one touch passing - simply out of this world. Manu and attractive football? Maybe you didn’t watch them last season .. they were just awful at certain times. I thought we played some great ball last season, yes the start was patchy and all 1-0 wins, but that’s ok because we had a new manager and new players. Towards the middle with Robben and Duff firing on all cylinders I thought we played some brilliant football. Im a fan of great tactical play with smart passing. Not attractive football with no sense - like Norwich.

""You seem like an ok bloke and I've enjoyed your contribution to this forum but don't misconstrue our failure to tell you to just "do one " as a signal that any real LFC supporters have some respect for your club . Most of us fu'ckin' hate you""

Like I said, Im not on here to win people over.

-----------------------------------------------------

stmicheal -

""Chelsea fans may think that everything in their garden is rosy but it is not by any means."" It surely isn’t my friend, it surely isn’t!

""So far this summer, the transfer market has been characterized by the clutch of star names who have said no to Chelsea. Those declining the lure of Roman Abramovich’s chequebook include Andrii Shevchenko, Samuel Eto’o, Adriano, David Trezeguet, Steven Gerrard and, most recently, Ronaldinho. In other words, a first eleven of world superstars. ""

We never bid for Eto'o, David or Ronaldhino. That was all paper talk. A club like us, where we are today, with Roman and a 24M striker who didn’t work, it was inevitable that we would be linked with just about every big star. Adriano - was not a bid but an offer of Hernan + Veron + $ - which was turned down. The only Official bid we made was for Gerrard. Even Sheva was tabloid saying it is being 'Reported' that Chelsea have bid 82M or whatever that figure was (If i remember correctly). Jose has always said he will never buy Ronaldhino.

Yes Barca have offered them good contracts and thats good for them and the Club. As far as I am concerned Barca will never be a threat to us because of their style of play. They have an OPEN defense.

Sure its a World cup year and understandably players wouldn’t want to switch leagues and jeopardize their 1st team spot.

Dont know about Frank being the most significant transfer, but he sure is a good addition. I think bringing Wright Phillips and Del Horno is a huge step. People will only realize when the league starts what players they are (well everyone knows about Phillips!), also Crespo coming back is a huge boost, he is a big game player and likes to perform on the European stage. He might be what we need to get past the semifinals the time around.

""Abramovich, Kenyon and Chelsea are discovering that money can buy many things in football. But respect has to be earned.""

Cant agree more with that, and ill tell you we will earn that respect by our performances on the pitch.

-----------------

Sorry for the long post, hope this finds everyone in good spirits.

Chelsea Forever.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:38 am

CF I have a question for you mate, say if Liverpool where to win the Champions League again next year, would you see your club as a failure?
Would you not ask yourself arnt you better getting players playing cause they love your club?
How many players in your team can you actually say they love you the fans and they love Chelsea the club?
I would only say Terry, Lampard and Cole.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:46 am

If Liverpool win the CL again will I see Chelsea as a failure?

Firstly, Liverpool winning the CL again is a long shot. Secondly I will never see Chelsea as a failure.

Players who love our Club? Lampard,Terry, Cole, Duff, Brdige, Jhonno, Maka, Guddy. Drogba, Robben and Phillips are new players.

Are you saying all the players at Liverpool "Love" the club and are there for the passionate connection with Liverpool?
Chelsea forever.

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:51 am

I have never heard any of your players say the fans are magnificent, infact the night Roman applauded us at anfield, he had a look on his face as if to say, erm hang on a minute I bought the wrong club  ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:10 am

Why avoid my question? Anyway its immaterial to me.

This discussion has taken a wrong path, it was meant to be a thread on strikers.

You say you havent heard any of our players saying the fans are great, well obviously you dont follow us then!
Chelsea forever.

Postby JohnBull » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:20 am

This is all getting a bit like "my dads bigger than your dad".
Chelsea have done brilliant in a short time but at the end of the day they have bought their success thanks to the bottomless pocket of the Odessa Godfather. Blackburn did it with Jack Walkers money and Leeds nearly did it with the banks' money.
Having said that you still have to buy the right players and Dozy Jose has bought well.  Look at Fergie and the super stars he's spent big bucks on only to get shut and go back to scratch, look at some of the :censored: we bought !
It is easy to slag Chelsea off but an awful lot of the abuse is jealousy and in ten years time they may well have a genuine fan base with supporters who know their clubs' history not just the last few weeks.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion