THE MICHAEL OWEN THREAD - all owen talk here from now on please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Alonso14 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:16 pm

The guys class, i think we can all agree there, but moving to madrid must of been the one of the worst carrer moves and maybe he was a little to ambitious altho he wasnt to know about the club politics.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Man Utd don't want Owen says ITV

Manchester United have reportedly joined Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in ruling out a move for Michael Owen.
The Daily Telegraph claims that 'well-informed sources' have told the newspaper that United 'have no plans to sign' the Real Madrid striker.

The club are apparently concerned that making a move for the England international, now reduced to fifth-choice striker at the Bernabeu, could 'upset the wage structure and cause complications in the ongoing efforts to persuade Rio Ferdinand to extend his present contract, which runs out in two years' time.'

The papers adds that, 'Owen's considerable wages, which are believed to be near 5million a year, would be a deterrent to any English club.'

The Telegraph's report is supported by the Daily Mail, which claims that Madrid are keen to sell Owen to the Red Devils, but they are not interested.

The Times also believes that, despite fevered speculation in the Sunday tabloids, the prospect of Owen moving to Old Trafford is limited.

'An offer for Owen is said to be unlikely unless [Louis] Saha can be moved on, which will entail a considerable loss for United, who would be lucky to recoup half of the 12 million they paid Fulham,' it states.

That leaves only Newcastle as committed pursuers of Owen. However, despite his apparent desperation to leave Madrid, it's thought that he would prefer to bide his time, at least until the next transfer window, rather than join a club that finished 14th in the Premiership last season and which failed to qualify for Europe.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:18 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:But wouldnt it also send a messge across Europe that a player can wipe his hands with Liverpool  come back a year later and make LFC look like a door matt......................................................................................

....................................................................Seriously people we have got to get over MO im sure we could go and find/buy a striker of the same class/mould ..........................................................................................

..............Maybe Anelka or someone...................................................................................

.............................................Owen maybe desperate to find a new club but we are not that desperate to find a striker.

Sorry tried to resist but I just have to pull you up.

1) On the contrary, I think this sends out a totally different message to Europe. Along with our sucess and Rafa's obvious high regard in European circles, I think this move would send out the message that Liverpool Football Club is back, big time amongst the cream of the European Crop, and that players moving from one European Superpower to another is the norm.

2) What do we have to "get over"? Michael Owen is the best English striker in  football, third highest English goalscorer and a legend in Liverpool football club history. No matter what happens from now until the end of time that is the case.

3) If you nett off the £8m we received from Madrid, from the reported £12m that it would take to bring him back, thats only four million, and if Baros is leaving then we are up on the deal, and that does not even take into account the reported £1.5m we got from Celta Vigo for Nunez who was part of the original Owen to Madrid deal.

4) Maybe Anelka or someone?? Owen versus Anelka is a total no brainer. Owen has no "baggage" Anelka has bucket loads, Owen guarantees 20 or more goals, Anelka it depends on the mood he is in.

5) Owen will not be desperate to find a new club, even if he sits on the bench and scores another 15 goals plus as sub for Madrid he will be first choice England striker come the World Cup, there is no one at all who even comes near him. Also, as we strive to improve on last season, 20 league goals could well mean 20 points, and a much higher finish. I am desperate for that.

Dont be sorry because you couldnt resist by all means.

1) Moving players from European maybe the norm but in this instance we will be taking a player back ,who left us in the lurch ,ran out his contract.Maybe Stevie should have tried his luck out at Chelsea if it doesnt work,Oh dont worry SG  we will have you back.
We dont have to sign Owen to tell the rest of Europe we are back we done that last year without him.

2)I dont doubt that MO was a legend at LFC and he maybe the best English striker.But we have got to get over the fact that it seems apparent that Rafa doesnt want him .
Do you honestly think Rafa wants him in the team ?

3)Ok so we lose out on a grand total of 2.5m but its still not good business is it ?
A player jumps ship we sell for 8m ,he has no future at his new found club .So they offer him back for 12m that wouldnt send out an admirable message to Europe.
We buy back our own players ,more than we sold them for.

4)Anelka maybe i said ,but anyway i think he has a better all round game .Hes quicker ,more direct ,he can strike the ball a lot better than Owen.He is willing to take defenders on.Owen doesnt do that anymore he doesnt have the confidence of taking the ball past someone,he looks for an easier option and lays the ball off.He to can goes missing during games .
Anelka has stated he enjoyed his time at Liverpool and i for one would take that gamble on him.

5)Owen probably has regreted what he has done.But i dont see any teams queing up for his services .If he did sit on the bench for Madrid next season ,and score 15 goals for them that shouldnt guarantee him a place in the England team,After all he wasnt to crash hot in the European C .Maybe he could come off the bench for England then.
66-1112520797

Postby barnesrush » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:21 pm

ok this deal does not look like good business at first glance. what we have to remember is that the mistakes in the owen saga by our board have already been made by letting his contract run down and thus the mistake is in the past.

fact is 11 mil for owen is a good price so purchasing him for this price can surely only be seen as a decent business move. we cant dwell on past mistakes. we certainly cant let past mistakes make us make further feckups i.e missing out on a player who could be vital to our future dommination of european football.

for those who missed it heres my take on owen from former threads cos i aint writing it again! (felt like enough of a tool the first time!)

comparisons between owen and ex's make me fcking p!ss myself. the more love someone has for a player the more it hurts when they leave obviously, but its because hes such a good player that a lot of us are still hurt.

if owen was foreign and in the same position, i dont think anyone would have as much of a problem in welcoming him back, yet some fans take players leaving as some kind of personal insult. eg if cisse went to real for a season then after that we needed a player of his ilk, im sure he would be welcomed back. we expect the players, especially the british ones, to have the same love for the club that we do but those are unreasonable expectations.

unfortunately top players want to play for top clubs and real are undoubtedly that. we are a top club too now but people should gain some perspective. we'll never know the full details or motives of his move.

going back to the girlfriend comparison you have to realise what is right for you (the club) at the time. if an ex wants to go back cos she's realised how much she misses you or something then u may consider it. (if shes jus been dumped youl obviously be suspicious). in this case, if owen wants to come back his motives will probably never be known because of media spin from the club to appease fans, but football clubs cannot be run on emotions. if he is right for the club and within budget then he is obviously a good signing.

would anyone here be put off buying someone we are after, if they had run their contract down in the same way? i dont think so, yet it shows a similar mentality to owen, and shows they may treat us in the same way.

he may have been clever in engineering the move yet it waas THE CLUBS FAULT that we didnt get a good price for him.

(i could give dierdre a run for her money. Agony? jus readin this thread was painful enough  )
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:27 pm

While Owen is a quality goal scorer, wouldn’t it be a real kick in the teeth to Cisse, Morientes and Crouch if we bought him? These three haven’t had a proper chance to prove themselves and after spending over 25Mil on them I would like to see all three play plenty of games. In my opinion we have three senior out and out strikers plus a drop off striker in Garcia, and with Rafa often opting to play one striker we seem to have enough players in this area, so what’s the need to buy another striker?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:38 pm

we currently have 4 strikers, and rafa is saying he is not looking to sell baros (ok may be a bluff) so if baros goes, maybe we need another.

this would be a positive sign for me that rafa may play 2 up more often, although this wouldnt leave much room for garcia except on the right
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:42 pm

Baros is going sooner or later. And to have 4 senior strikers, even if you are using 2 up front, is too much, a waste of resources and a recipe for speculation and discontent. In my opinion sell Baros and don’t buy Owen. Cisse, Morientes, Crouch, Garcia, Mellor and Pongolle can provide sufficient cover.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:45 pm

Owen turned his back on us a year ago so we have no reason to welcome him back. I dont think RB would even take him back. I hope he spends the rst of his career in the limbo thatis the subs bench. And i hope he loses his England place to.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:47 pm

We do need a 4th striker incase of injuries and the striker has to be better than sinema and neil mellor. However we dont need a nig time player whos gonna moan when he doesnt start. (Like Baros) I think Anelka would suit the position.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:52 pm

bavlondon wrote:We do need a 4th striker incase of injuries and the striker has to be better than sinema and neil mellor. However we dont need a nig time player whos gonna moan when he doesnt start. (Like Baros) I think Anelka would suit the position.

we dont need a nig time player whos gonna moan

think Anelka would suit the position

hmmm...

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:59 pm

sarcasm needs a smiley bav mate
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby mighty mo » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:08 pm

if rafa says he doesn,t want him,lets put this issue to bed.in rafa we trust
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Afroman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:12 pm

Owen in surplus to requirements for us and the other top clubs in the league. Rafa doesn't want him so he will not come. I totally agree with mighty mo
if rafa says he doesn,t want him,lets put this issue to bed.in rafa we trust
Afroman
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:13 pm

mighty mo wrote:if rafa says he doesn,t want him,lets put this issue to bed.in rafa we trust

agreed.

a complete waste of time. let's concentrate on tonight's game. i predict a big score. cisse will fire a few i think.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby DrTNT » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:44 pm

If we do sell Baros and use his transfer fee + 4-5 million to buy MO I would not be against it as he is a proven goal scorer BUT we are in the market for a CB and RM. IMO we are in dire need of a good at tackling, good in the air and paceful CB and this is what we should be concentrating on getting.
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion