The imminent squad reshuffle... - ...thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 pm

The new manager is here and assuming there is no war chest to buy new players, we are probably mainly looking at selling players before buying.

Gerrard and Torres would arguably fetch the highest price, but ideally everyone would agree it's better if they stay, no matter what money their sales would generate.

So if you had to wheel and deal, who are the candidates for the chop?

Mascherano - if reports are true then he's unsettled anyway and has been for a while.  Barce have just sold Yaya Toure and there could be a place for Mascherano in Barcelona.  He's also been linked with Inter but allegedly they are unwilling to pay up the 30 mil price that has supposedly been put on him.

Glen Johnson - Allegedly generating interest from abroad, I can only assume because they haven't watched him play recently.  Awful in the world cup and his form peaked for us before Christmas last season.  I'd get rid of him.  Contrary to what the press say, he actually can defend.  His problem is concentration, in that his is poor.  He's too prone to being caught out or doing something casual.  Attacking he has no problems though and is very effective.

Babel - Is it worth keeping hold of him?  The lad clearly has talent, could a different manager's approach bring it out of him on a consistent basis?  On the other hand I think his contract is running down and if we don't sell him now I have a feeling his contract is up next summer - although I'll need to double check that.

Kuyt - Not everyone's cup of tea, but a player I like.  Still has a good reputation around Europe and even at 29 we could probably recoup the 10 mil or so we paid for him I reckon.  I'd keep him.

Aquilani - Do we give him a chance?  I think we have no choice, we'd get nowhere near the money we paid for him given his injuries and his limited appearances last season.  But if we did decide to offload we'd easily get over 10 mil for him, and in that case we might not have to pay all of the 20 mil to Roma depending on how appearance based the fee was.

Riera - Do we forgive him?  His analogy of LFC as a sinking ship wasn't far off the mark to be fair, but he publically criticised the manager at a time when we could have done without it.  I still think he's our best wide midfielder when he's on form and up for it.

Benayoun - by all accounts already gone, and for a miserly 6 million.  I hope Hodgson convinces him to stay though because although he had a poor season last year, he's often our most creative player after Torres and Gerrard.

Other fringe players may go, but none of them would generate very much cash, so it's probably down to the above list.

My own view is to get rid of Johnson if we can get a decent fee.  And if Mascherano wants to go, then let him go at the right price.  30 might be pushing it but I'd let him go for 20-25 mil.  Of course it all depends on whether Gerrard and Torres stay.  I think there's more chance of them staying than going, partly because Gerrard had such a bad season last year and he's now 30, so interest in him won't be as high as it once was, and Torres clearly hasn't recovered properly from knee surgery yet as his WC performances suggest and again interest might not be as high as when he's fully fit.  Again consider that destinations for Torres are limited.  Inter? Barce?  They're the only two clubs I could see him going to personally, I don't think he'd sign for another English side and we all know he wouldn't go to Madrid.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 pm

lost my interest on the first line mate

'No warchest to buy players' - despite the club saying he'll be given £15 million + any players sales.

NEXT!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Lee J wrote:lost my interest on the first line mate

'No warchest to buy players' - despite the club saying he'll be given £15 million + any players sales.

NEXT!

When did the club say that?

Broughton or Hodgson didn't say that in the press conference.  They just said they hadn't talked about money yet but that money from players sold would be reinvested in the squad.

Cheers for the thread input though.  Next.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:00 pm

Ir really depends on what style of play the manager is going to adopt for me. If hes going to play a smooth attacking style of football then I think Kuyt will have to make way, Babel may be given a chance and Aquilani should be prominant, Lucas might also be allowed to play a more adventurous style, but if hes going to play a rigid tactical system that required disipline and hard work then Kuyt is an ideal player, Babel and Johnson are huge liabilities , Aquilani is probably a luxury and Lucas would still be the same defensive-minded holding midfielder that you all know and love :D

Personally with the current group of players, assuming that Mascherano and Benayoun are the ONLY major players that leave Id be playing 4411 as follows

REINA

JOHNSON   CARRA   AGGER    UNKNOWN

BABEL       AQUA    UNKNOWN     UNKNOWN

GERRARD

TORRES

So for me we need a new left side, I dont think Riera should be allowed to stay, and tbh if a good offer came in for Babel Id take it as he opened his gob at inappropriate times too over the two seasons. So another striker, left back, left midfield and a holding midfielder and who knows what we can achieve?
burjennio

Postby laza » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Well I really  cant see any point in offloading Aqua after one season for reasons you have given John

Personally I love to see him given his extended chance to prove , as some of creative cameos have impressed me.

Whether he is upto producing that on regular basis in  the hurly burly of Premier league is big question

Masch is obvious candidate to fund the warchest which like Sissoko and Didi before him. I can understand the reasons for the sale but wished they ended up staying
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 pm

I think Masch is as good as gone.

If Barca demanded £27.5m for Toure than Masch has to be worth more.  So for £30m+ he should go.  He is unsettled and his form was erratic last season, and he gets sent off too frequently.

Riera will go too I think, with rumours of Juventus bidding £5m as a starter.  Let him go for £7m

Benny is gone too, another £6m in the pot.

I'd keep Babel for another season.  Maybe if we play him anywhere but the left wing he might blossom.  I think Rafa forgot he was right footed, and a striker!!

So there we have over £40m.

I would target....

Joe Cole - Free to replace Riera/Benny

Stephen Ireland - £8m ish   Nowhere near the Harlem Grobetrotters first team now, and a proven Prem player.

Alonso -Yes wishful thinking I know.  He has looked absolute class in the world cup.  I'd go as far as saying if RM want Gerrard, we accept cash plus Alonso, or perhaps a similar deal for Masch.

Van Der Vart - less than £10m for sure.  Quality player.

Wayne Bridge - £6m ish.  Gives Insua a couple of years to mature and develop.

If we lose Torres, then that is whole different ball game.  He should not go for less than £50m.  Then we are looking at a whole new level of players.....
mkingdom

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Joe Cole and Stephen Ireland would be fantastic signings imo.  Just the type of creativity our midfield could do with.

I would also look at Santa Cruz and SWP's situations at Man City.

My fantasy signing this summer would be Ozil though.  Been a revelation at the WC and out of contract next summer.  If we generate big bucks from selling a key player then I'd go all out for this guy.  It'll never happen though :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:56 pm

john craig wrote:
Lee J wrote:lost my interest on the first line mate

NEXT!

When did the club say that?

Broughton or Hodgson didn't say that in the press conference.  They just said they hadn't talked about money yet but that money from players sold would be reinvested in the squad.

Cheers for the thread input though.  Next.

I read it on the media watch section of the official website (lfc.tv)

so it's probably bollox  :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:00 pm

john craig wrote:Joe Cole and Stephen Ireland would be fantastic signings imo.  Just the type of creativity our midfield could do with.

I would also look at Santa Cruz and SWP's situations at Man City.

My fantasy signing this summer would be Ozil though.  Been a revelation at the WC and out of contract next summer.  If we generate big bucks from selling a key player then I'd go all out for this guy.  It'll never happen though :laugh:

Don't forget Muller..... cracking player him.

And historically, our record with germans in the red of liverpool have been very good..... even Riedle.
ConnO'var

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:02 pm

can we get rid of Itandge first and foremost? he is the Winston Bogarde of Liverpool
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I think perhaps under a different manager Babel could do well. He looks like one of those types that needs an arm around the shoulder. But he has to obviously sign a new contract soon or esle he will be sold. No way he can be allowed to walk for free.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:09 pm

I think we can keep the nucleus of the team apart from masch and make plenty of money (if we can re-invest) with the combination of our dead wood.

I would get rid of

Mash   30m
Lucas   6m
Babel    8m
Ngog    3m
and maybe Riera

So near on 50m plus the 15m he has to spend gives us a nice little kitty
roberto green

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:11 pm

mkingdom wrote:I think Masch is as good as gone.

If Barca demanded £27.5m for Toure than Masch has to be worth more.  So for £30m+ he should go.  He is unsettled and his form was erratic last season, and he gets sent off too frequently.

Riera will go too I think, with rumours of Juventus bidding £5m as a starter.  Let him go for £7m

I'd keep Babel for another season.  Maybe if we play him anywhere but the left wing he might blossom.  I think Rafa forgot he was right footed, and a striker!!

I would target....

Stephen Ireland - £8m ish   Nowhere near the Harlem Grobetrotters first team now, and a proven Prem player.

Alonso -Yes wishful thinking I know.  He has looked absolute class in the world cup.  I'd go as far as saying if RM want Gerrard, we accept cash plus Alonso, or perhaps a similar deal for Masch.

If we lose Torres, then that is whole different ball game.  He should not go for less than £50m.  Then we are looking at a whole new level of players.....

I like the way your thinking.  I think any of those players would improve our squad.

The only thing I would say I think we could do with a proven goal scorer possibly at the end of his career as cover for Torres.  I just dont beleive Ngog will ever be good enough for Liverpool and as much as I hope that Babel is going to improve under Roy (by playing him in a position he wants to play in) I am still not sure he in the full package.  I really hope I am proven wrong.

I would like to see Gerrard moved back into Central Mid and I think Stephen Ireland would compliment him.

I would also think playing Kelly as right back and moving Johnson into right mid would give us a great midfield.. especially with your addition of Joe Cole (cant see that happening:( )
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:23 pm

john craig wrote:The new manager is here and assuming there is no war chest to buy new players, we are probably mainly looking at selling players before buying.

Gerrard and Torres would arguably fetch the highest price, but ideally everyone would agree it's better if they stay, no matter what money their sales would generate.

So if you had to wheel and deal, who are the candidates for the chop?

Mascherano - if reports are true then he's unsettled anyway and has been for a while.  Barce have just sold Yaya Toure and there could be a place for Mascherano in Barcelona.  He's also been linked with Inter but allegedly they are unwilling to pay up the 30 mil price that has supposedly been put on him.

Glen Johnson - Allegedly generating interest from abroad, I can only assume because they haven't watched him play recently.  Awful in the world cup and his form peaked for us before Christmas last season.  I'd get rid of him.  Contrary to what the press say, he actually can defend.  His problem is concentration, in that his is poor.  He's too prone to being caught out or doing something casual.  Attacking he has no problems though and is very effective.

Babel - Is it worth keeping hold of him?  The lad clearly has talent, could a different manager's approach bring it out of him on a consistent basis?  On the other hand I think his contract is running down and if we don't sell him now I have a feeling his contract is up next summer - although I'll need to double check that.

Kuyt - Not everyone's cup of tea, but a player I like.  Still has a good reputation around Europe and even at 29 we could probably recoup the 10 mil or so we paid for him I reckon.  I'd keep him.

Aquilani - Do we give him a chance?  I think we have no choice, we'd get nowhere near the money we paid for him given his injuries and his limited appearances last season.  But if we did decide to offload we'd easily get over 10 mil for him, and in that case we might not have to pay all of the 20 mil to Roma depending on how appearance based the fee was.

Riera - Do we forgive him?  His analogy of LFC as a sinking ship wasn't far off the mark to be fair, but he publically criticised the manager at a time when we could have done without it.  I still think he's our best wide midfielder when he's on form and up for it.

Benayoun - by all accounts already gone, and for a miserly 6 million.  I hope Hodgson convinces him to stay though because although he had a poor season last year, he's often our most creative player after Torres and Gerrard.

Other fringe players may go, but none of them would generate very much cash, so it's probably down to the above list.

My own view is to get rid of Johnson if we can get a decent fee.  And if Mascherano wants to go, then let him go at the right price.  30 might be pushing it but I'd let him go for 20-25 mil.  Of course it all depends on whether Gerrard and Torres stay.  I think there's more chance of them staying than going, partly because Gerrard had such a bad season last year and he's now 30, so interest in him won't be as high as it once was, and Torres clearly hasn't recovered properly from knee surgery yet as his WC performances suggest and again interest might not be as high as when he's fully fit.  Again consider that destinations for Torres are limited.  Inter? Barce?  They're the only two clubs I could see him going to personally, I don't think he'd sign for another English side and we all know he wouldn't go to Madrid.

Good thread starter JC.

I think a lot obviously depends on whether our two best outfield players Gerrard and Torres are going to be with us for a least another season. Assuming they are the only other player who would bring in some significant cash and we could maybe afford to do without is Mascerano.

So, trying to address the points you've raised.

Glen Johnson. Defensively (imo) he's an accident waiting to happen,  going forward on the right he looks as good as any player we've had in that position in recent times. Move him to right mid or get rid.

Babel/Riera
Contract issues aside. Give Babel a go as a second striker in support of Torres and Riera as 1st choice on the left. Allow the pair of them the opportunity to finally prove that given the opportunity of an extended run in their preferred positions they can do the business.

Kuyt. Maybe a jack of all trades and master of none but every team needs a duracell bunny with a fair degree of talent. One of the most maligned players in the team (on this forum at least) but I'd definitely hold onto him.

Aqualani.
Not sure where he'd fit in my team. In a straight 442 with Torres and Babel spearing the attack he'd have to play alongside Gerrard at CM (with Gerrard in the deeper role), failing that if we could get our money back I'd let him go.

Benayoun
One of our more gifted players. In terms of keeping a strong squad I'd deffo hang onto him but he wouldn't always be in my starting 11 and I fear that without a promise of regular starts he'll be gone. Get the best price we can for him, hopefully to a team outside of the Premiership.

The areas I'm most concerned about for the coming season are both fullback slots and at least one of the central defensive positions.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:29 pm

mkingdom wrote:I think Masch is as good as gone.

I would target....

I like some of your ideas.
Joe Cole
Ireland
Bridge

Those 3 would seriously alter our footballing ability.
By that i mean they are all decent players. Good in posession and we would be far better to watch with those 3 in the side.
And more importantly they are gettable.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion