Double deal imminent in january - Exclusive

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:41 pm

Liverpool - Double deal imminent EXCLUSIVE
18 Oct 2005 11:29

Clubcall has learned that Liverpool have put deals in place to sign Benfica captain Simao Sabrosa and Chilean international Mark Gonzalez in January, writes Kevin Hatchard.

Simao nearly joined the Reds in August, but the Portuguese champions changed their minds about the sale just before the transfer deadline.

However, Liverpool have retained their interest in the Portuguese international, and clubcall understands an initial fee of £8million has been agreed for the transfer of the right-winger in January.

The 26-year-old was one of the most consistent players in European football last season, and was the driving force behind Benfica's long-awaited capture of the Portuguese title.

His pace, skill and crossing ability could bring an added dimension to a Liverpool midfield who are failing to get the best out of strikers like Peter Crouch and Fernando Morientes.

Right-winger Gonzalez was expected to arrive at Anfield at the start of the season, but the 22-year-old's hopes of a dream move were dealt a double blow.

Having agreed a season-long loan move from Spanish club Albacete, the Chilean international sustained a cruciate ligament injury and was sidelined for several months.

Worse was to follow, as Gonzalez then discovered his application for a work permit had been refused by the Home Office due to Chile's failure to make the top 70 in FIFA's world rankings system.

Despite these problems, Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez remains determined to sign the player, and clubcall understands a financial package has been agreed with Albacete for the player's permanent transfer.

Liverpool will re-apply for a work permit at the turn of the year, and if successful Gonzalez could appear in the first-team from January onwards.

http://www.clubcall.com/vsite....00.html
....................................................................................

Now I know people will always be sceptical about the validity of sources on the internet but all I can say is that I hope this happens. All talk of Joaquin, Vicente etc is completely unrealistic as far as I'm concerned. If these two were to arrive, it would certainly solve our wide problems from January until the end of the Premiership.

We shall wait and see.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stoney » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:45 pm

Does anyone know how reliable clubcall are although it was extremely likely in the 1st place that we were gonna go in for gonzales and simao in january.
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:47 pm

Yeah  these 2 are deof likely to arrive in January and i hope this fuss is worth it over Gonzalez cos he does sound a bit tasty.

Simao as far as i know will only arrive in January depending if Benfica are still in the champions league, but it does look pretty certain these 2 will come and they will defo improve the wide areas which need some work on them.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:47 pm

stoney wrote:Does anyone know how reliable clubcall are although it was extremely likely in the 1st place that we were gonna go in for gonzales and simao in january.

don't know mate. i'm just posting what was e-mailed to me by a fellow red at work today. in all fairness, it's not exactly ground breaking news anyway. we all expected that we would try and buy simao in january and also reapply for gonzalez's work permit.

however, i never expected deals to have been sorted out already. it could be complete nonsense of course but we shall wait and see.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:05 pm

I think Rafa will wait and see how Gonzalez plays upon his return from injury before he offers any dosh.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:20 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:I think Rafa will wait and see how Gonzalez plays upon his return from injury before he offers any dosh.

Nah, he was willing to sign him injured wasn't he?
AlanHansen

Postby red37 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:40 pm

simao is he left or right sided?

against man utd he was deployed on the left. and bearing in mind the much anticipated..."second coming" of kewell, or  even the third...fourth etc. added to gonzales who i presume to be also in favour of that area of the park (should he be given a permit). plus, not forgetting the unfortunate riise and  the profligate zenden..... this would if correct, produce far too many 'jacks of all, master of none' scenarios .. unless its too much to ask that at least one of the above manage to cement the position for their own,firmly?

can someone clarify this please.

that still leaves a dearth of office at right wing/midfield, even if the mooted transfer of simao transpires should he actually be any good on that side of the pitch...

as expensive as he is.. and possibly justifiably so, given the markets present imbalance (ahem.. RA!) allied to the 'fact' that the boy can play a bit, not-withstanding the required physical prowess thats met, amply so. i still hold out a slither of hope that rafa is both capable enough and willing enough to test Betis' hand after christmas. as well as the procurement of gonzales (hyped?)... none of us here can claim to know better than benitez, at what he wants in his team and who he feels best suited for it, but i repeat, (btw i hear you when you are saying...its not going to happen).  joaquin is as near as dammit 'the' perfect 'type' of player we could profit from..in this current set-up i hasten to add. and unless there is another similar, cheaper alternative out there, well just have to remain patient and see..

simao just looks a little frail..which is unfair, i know. however at the moment the very last thing we need is another technically gifted headless chicken of a playmaker bereft in a foreign land, sat warming the bench next to 2 or 3 'battlers' who've never seen the length of a pitch, never mind had the good fortune to even find out.

ok so the joaquin debate seems irrelevant, though it isnt quite dead in the water and it will surely rumble on until well after germany...but it would be a crying shame if somewhere in this world, be it uruguay or half way down utting avenue, even. that there isnt a strong fast right midfielder, committed and able to 'whip' a ball in anywhere.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:47 pm

stmichael wrote:All talk of Joaquin, Vicente etc is completely unrealistic as far as I'm concerned. If these two were to arrive, it would certainly solve our wide problems from January until the end of the Premiership.

Totally agree about Joaquin and Vicente, there is no way we'll see either of those two at Anfield anytime soon in my opinion.

Whether Simao and Gonzalez are the solutions to our wide problems long term I don't know.  They'd definitely be an improvement on what we have there now though.

It's no secret that Benitez was always going to move for Gonzalez again in January.  As for Simao, he looks good for Benfica, but the fact that he flopped at Barcelona makes me a bit more cautious about signing him.  In light of how badly we're crying out for a right winger though, I'd be willing to take a gamble on him.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:48 pm

Simao can play on the left or right
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:49 pm

stoney wrote:Simao can play on the left or right

ta stoney

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Garymac » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Dont you think its sad that it is unrealistic to think Joaquin could play for Liverpool, yet i think Man U, Chelsea and even Arsenal could well sign him if they wanted to. Hes a player most consider world class and the answer, but we cant get him.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:03 pm

Garymac wrote:Dont you think its sad that it is unrealistic to think Joaquin could play for Liverpool, yet i think Man U, Chelsea and even Arsenal could well sign him if they wanted to. Hes a player most consider world class and the answer, but we cant get him.

Not really Garymac,

It's not unrealistic because he's well out of our price range or that he wouldn't fancy Liverpool necessarily.  It's unrealistic because Benitez doesn't sign big stars for big money and he won't blow all our transfer budget on one player.  We have more than one weakness in the side, we need more than just a right winger.  That's why it's unrealistic in my opinion mate.

And to be honest, Arsenal signing him is even more unrealistic than us signing him right now I think.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Wish this bleeding new Stadium was sorted one way or another, thats costing us a fortune as every month goes by, :angry:  Could have bloody bought Joaquin this year alone on the money thats being wasted on the project that doesnt look like going ahead cause of costs.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:27 pm

john craig wrote:
Garymac wrote:Dont you think its sad that it is unrealistic to think Joaquin could play for Liverpool, yet i think Man U, Chelsea and even Arsenal could well sign him if they wanted to. Hes a player most consider world class and the answer, but we cant get him.

Not really Garymac,

It's not unrealistic because he's well out of our price range or that he wouldn't fancy Liverpool necessarily.  It's unrealistic because Benitez doesn't sign big stars for big money and he won't blow all our transfer budget on one player.  We have more than one weakness in the side, we need more than just a right winger.  That's why it's unrealistic in my opinion mate.

And to be honest, Arsenal signing him is even more unrealistic than us signing him right now I think.

agreed mate.. as i said before that joaquin is too expensive and Benitez won't waste all his money on one player.

Simao and Gonzalez look very exciting players! Simao is a very consistant player and he played really well against Manchester United and against Lille in the Champions League. He is tremendous pace, so he would adjust to the EPL well, and as for Gonzalez, i havn't seen him play yet, Rafa knows him alot so i believe about what Rafa said about him, and he looks exciting! Gonzalez can also play right or left.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Wish this bleeding new Stadium was sorted one way or another, thats costing us a fortune as every month goes by, :angry:  Could have bloody bought Joaquin this year alone on the money thats being wasted on the project that doesnt look like going ahead cause of costs.

when does the stadium finish?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion