The imminent squad reshuffle... - ...thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:44 am

Scottbot wrote:I don't know if everyone has been watching Germany closely this tournament (hard not too now of course!) but i've been VERY impressed with Khedeira in the midfield. If Masch goes he'd be a fantastic replacement, he's a ball winner, but very composed and a nice passer. just what our midfield needs.

Good shout on Khedeira.... looks like a very sound footballer.

To be honest it's very hard to look past the german squad for some real quality.... Lahm, Ozil, Muller and Khedeira. Them 4 would be very good for us.
ConnO'var

Postby Aussie Style » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:16 am

Did Man City really give Yaya Toure 220k a week for 5 years??!! These c.unts are taking the pi.ss now
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am

rocky29 wrote:
Scottbot wrote:Great to actually get back to talking about football properly again for a change now that we have a manager! I'm gonna make the assumption (for the moment) that we keep all of our best players so won't be bandying about too many big names. First job for Hodsgon is to sort our defence which was the worst it's been in ten years this past season. Has to start with the Centre-Backs, I know he indicated he wouldn't try and steal Fulham's best players but if Hodgson doesn't move for Hangeland I would be VERY surprised. He is a Kwality player, dominant in the air and composed on the ball. If we could get him i'd look to move Skrtel on and challenge Carra and Agger to fight for a spot next to Hangeland. If Agger wins the battle you could easily pop Carra out to Full-back and move Johnson forward.

Next up is surely another striker. How about Miroslov Klose? This guy would do well in England, big, strong lad with good feet and years of experience. He only scored 3 goals last season and despite the fact he's having a good World Cup, he's getting on a bit so his price tag would be very reasonable I think.

Left Back is deffo a need spot, out best full-back (Aurelio) is gone and Insua (despite his early promise) does not look like the answer. I don't really know who to suggest though! It wouldn't surprise me to see Pantsil at the club next season but he plays on the right.

id still go buy fabio grosso great attacking and defending left back. I know hes 32 but we could still get 2 or 3 good years out of him.

Great shout on Grosso mate, he's an excellent player. Although we've had our fingers burned with Italian left-backs! I'd still have him though.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:02 am

mart wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Surely when looking at players coming in we should remember three things - the wages we can afford the price of the player and prob most importantly the fact we aren't in CL next season so IMO players like Cambiasso and Van Der Vaart and Gago won't be coming to us because of the reasons as stated - can also include Joe Cole in that list  . Unfortunatly because we can't afford the fees and wages like Citeh and we aren't in CL I think we can forget looking at the top list of players

Probably not cambiasso, but Gago and van der vaart should be within our reach.

First priority should be a new leftback and a new centreback. Perhaps salcido and kjaer.

If we sell riera and masch, we should be able to get Gago and Van der Vaart, but i've never been that impressed with Gago.

Why should a new CB be our priority ?!?!? Agger, Kyrgiakos and Carragher (not to mention Skrtel) are good enough compared to our defensively lacking full-backs and lack of creativity in midfield, and of course a striker to partner or cover for Torres. I'd say we might need a new CB, but not as a priority but if there is money left and the right one available.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:12 am

Owzat wrote:
mart wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Surely when looking at players coming in we should remember three things - the wages we can afford the price of the player and prob most importantly the fact we aren't in CL next season so IMO players like Cambiasso and Van Der Vaart and Gago won't be coming to us because of the reasons as stated - can also include Joe Cole in that list  . Unfortunatly because we can't afford the fees and wages like Citeh and we aren't in CL I think we can forget looking at the top list of players

Probably not cambiasso, but Gago and van der vaart should be within our reach.

First priority should be a new leftback and a new centreback. Perhaps salcido and kjaer.

If we sell riera and masch, we should be able to get Gago and Van der Vaart, but i've never been that impressed with Gago.

Why should a new CB be our priority ?!?!? Agger, Kyrgiakos and Carragher (not to mention Skrtel) are good enough compared to our defensively lacking full-backs and lack of creativity in midfield, and of course a striker to partner or cover for Torres. I'd say we might need a new CB, but not as a priority but if there is money left and the right one available.

Agger is injury prone, Carragher sadly isnt really good enough to be first choice anymore and Skrtel have looked poor lately.

We just got jovanovic as a striker and i think aquilani can provide some creativity in midfield if he plays. And i think Pacheco can step up this year.

Once we sell more players we will ofcourse need to strenghten other areas as well.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:15 am

ConnO'var wrote:
Scottbot wrote:I don't know if everyone has been watching Germany closely this tournament (hard not too now of course!) but i've been VERY impressed with Khedeira in the midfield. If Masch goes he'd be a fantastic replacement, he's a ball winner, but very composed and a nice passer. just what our midfield needs.

To be honest it's very hard to look past the german squad for some real quality.... Lahm, Ozil, Muller and Khedeira. Them 4 would be very good for us.

The way germany are playing will attract plenty of attention from other clubs too, and the prices for these players will be very high.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:51 am

Aussie Style wrote:Did Man City really give Yaya Toure 220k a week for 5 years??!! These c.unts are taking the pi.ss now

are you serious?  :oh:  thats just mad.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 am

Always dangerous to sign players who have had a great tournament without having watched them week in week out for their clubs.

That said, the players who have really impressed me this WC are:

Defenders - Lugano (Uruguay), Salcido (Mexico)

Midfield - Schweinsteiger, Ramires (Brazil), Ozil

Attack - Gyan (Ghana), Klose, Valdes (Paraguay), Forlan

In particular that lad Gyan looks like he has all the tools to make it in the Premiership.  Quick, ridiculously strong, determined and good first touch.  Just don't have him on pens!  Would be wary about signing him now but I'd keep a very close eye on his club form next season, think he's in France with Rennes.  Age 24.  Previous experience in Serie A with Udinese.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:35 am

dawson99 wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:Good post
I think Gerrards hearts not in it any more. Hes distracted on and off the pitch. Cash in while we can

Outrageous comment!

Gerrard is our captain. He has had a poor season by his standards but this does not mean he has lost the stomach for the club.

There are several players that look like they are on the verge of leaving, but no one knows the truth. Mash does look unsettled and may leave, but who knows. He is under contract. As are all the other players being discussed.

We can talk about Cole, Henry and all the others until we are blue in the face too.

Looking at Roys record I am willing to bet he thinks he can elevate the players we have already to improve the performances next season. I can also see him taking a good hard look at the reserves and promoting a couple, or at the very least giving the likes of Pacheco and Darby a fair crack at it.

Something is also telling me that Ryan Babel is going to have a very good season.

great post as always from crazy horse.

Gerrard is our talisman, and we should strive to keep him. IF he does want to go though, we need to get as much as possible for him.

Great shout on Roy as well, I'm not ecstatic about the new season, but i have hopes as we have the ability in the squad, just need the right manager to utilize what we have got

Cheers mate.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39 am

mart wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

The way germany are playing will attract plenty of attention from other clubs too, and the prices for these players will be very high.

That and signing players off the back of a world cup performance is sheer folly...

Diouf anyone?

Man Utd signed Karol Paborsky who had a great Euro 96 but was cack.

The only members of the German squad I would look at are thoes already established, ie Lahm and Podolski (who i suggested last year)
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:49 am

john craig wrote:Always dangerous to sign players who have had a great tournament without having watched them week in week out for their clubs.

Well Klose and Podolski are living proof of that, quite amazing comparing club and country form this season for those two players. Nevertheless I be more then happy to see either player at Anfield
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:00 am

crazyhorse wrote:The only members of the German squad I would look at are thoes already established, ie Lahm and Podolski (who i suggested last year)

I'd take Schweinsteiger, Ozil or Muller in a heartbeat.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:11 pm

Schweinsteiger is a clown. More screwed up than Babel. Granted he's having a decent WC, but far too often for Bayern he's blown hot and cold.
I don't believe any of the younger players on the German team would move abroad, never mind to the PL....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:16 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Schweinsteiger is a clown. More screwed up than Babel. Granted he's having a decent WC, but far too often for Bayern he's blown hot and cold.
I don't believe any of the younger players on the German team would move abroad, never mind to the PL....

What players DO you rate?  Just wondering like.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:34 pm

john craig wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Schweinsteiger is a clown. More screwed up than Babel. Granted he's having a decent WC, but far too often for Bayern he's blown hot and cold.

What players DO you rate?  Just wondering like.

Fair kop, mate...
I DO rate Lahm, think he's a bit on the short side though for my liking. I think Mueller IS a good prospect, but he's 20 years old, and hardly proven....
Having lived in Germany for many years, German professionals are reluctant to ply their trade abroad - it's the exception rather than the norm, so it's uncommon to lure a player away from the country.
What I DO like is the German culture of throwing players in if they're "good" enough, to see if they'll sink or swim-that doesn't happen at all at LFC. At least not under Rafa...

Incidentally, I wonder what Woy will do with the likes of Pacheco, Nemeth etc. Never got a sniff under Rafa, I hope Woy will take a gamble on them...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion