The imminent squad reshuffle... - ...thoughts?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:54 pm

roberto green wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:Thierry Henry has been released hasnt he? i hear he might go to the States but he's worth the try though. i could see him providing Torres with plenty of assists.

good shout

Thierry Henry......  I dont think thats what Woy is about and I dont think thats what proud scousers are about. If we´re going to rebuild in the face of adversity lets go for motivated young winners not overpaid, over the hill relics.

Lets battle, proud, we dont need has beens.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:01 pm

Reg wrote:
roberto green wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:Thierry Henry has been released hasnt he? i hear he might go to the States but he's worth the try though. i could see him providing Torres with plenty of assists.

good shout

Thierry Henry......  I dont think thats what Woy is about and I dont think thats what proud scousers are about. If we´re going to rebuild in the face of adversity lets go for motivated young winners not overpaid, over the hill relics.

Lets battle, proud, we dont need has beens.

he would also want a huge wage that would probably be around 100k a week.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:05 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Too much can happen between now and the start of the season but one player we'd do well to look at is Alex Hleb. His loan at Stuttgart has ended and Barca will probably accept offers for him. At 29 I doubt he'd cost the earth or command massive wages.

That's a quality shout mate.  I was thinking of him a while back as a potentially good signing for us actually.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:08 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
cardiff-red wrote:how about mascherano for a direct swap with ibrahimavic

a nice partner for torres, or a decent replacment if he goes or is injured

Think Ibrahimavic's an absolute D'ick, a total show pony.

Never mind Mascherano, don't think I'd even exchange Lucas for him .  :kungfu:

I'm in complete agreement woofster.  Can't believe so many people rate the eejit though!!

Reminds me so much of Berbatov.  Clearly has skill but can't always be arsed showing it and usually chokes when a big performance is needed.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:19 pm

Yaya Toure to City, Masch to Barca and Tevez to us.

Simple :D
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Big money failures are two a penny in the world cup, ask Rooney, Gerrard, Kaka, Luis Fabiano, C. Ronaldo, 'France', 'Italy' etc... . No need to take on an Ibrahimavic or Berbatov for the fun of it.  Too early to make the call on Nando... I hope.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Calum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:05 pm

At the moment, I'm just dreaming of the players we could sign if we had Man City's money.

For a start, City have far too many midfielders. Stephen Ireland struggled to get a place last season and voiced his discontent. I'm hoping Hodgson would take an interest in him.

Joe Cole would, of course, be a dream buy, although Tottenham appear to be favourites there. He is a London boy, after all.

Watching Uruguay tonight, I can't help wanting to see Diego Forlan come to Anfield. I'm sure Hodgson was impressed with him in the Europa League last season. It would rub Man Utd's noses in it as well.

Talking of ex-Man Utd, how about Gabriel Heinze to fill the problem left back position?

And to add to the Argentinian contingment, how about roping in Carlos Tevez? That would be 3 ex-Man Utd players for Fergie to deal with.

I mentioned in another post Florent Malouda could come in a swap deal with Benayoun to play in the problem left side. No chance of that, I know.

It's good to dream if we had the money to buy such players.
Calum

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:32 am

this is hard to call at this time.
benni is gone,masch is uncertain and so is gerrard.they go torres goes.
should generate a nice pot there for someone,whether it goes back to the team is another thing.
if they stay,i'd sell kuyt(20mil),lucas (6mil),riera(7mil),ngog(6mil)+benni(6mil)+transfer kitty(15mil):D -roys comp(2mil) gives 58 odd mil.??? .
that would be enough for this window and is fairly balanced as not to have too big an impact on the squad and hopefully give some of the younger lads the chance to impress with cover roles.
if we were to get the 58mil,we could easily sign another striker better than ngog,wright phillips/cole would better riera.ireland for benni.buy heinze
we have jovanovich coming in.throw a centre half in there also and it would be a good bit of dealing.
all achievable with that budget and certainly go some way to improving the squad..

all hypothetically speaking of course!!!
:D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:07 am

Carols Salcido maybe for left back, looked terrific in world cup and experienced.We would have two strong, powerful full backs then who can get up and down the line. Another player Landon Donovan perhaps, great pro and versatile, wont let us down that lad. Matias Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon had a good world cup and is a handy little player in the Cole mode.As for forwards maybe a player like Podolski could do a job here with a fresh start.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:20 am

Can't see Joe Cole coming up north and for the wages would stay clear.
It is difficult to say as we do not know who is leaving but as it stands in my opinion we need a left back, a right sided player ,at least one striker and a flair player (especially as Benny has left).
So that's 4.
Naturally if Masch and others go it changes the picture.

Riera I think we need rid of.
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:58 am

Plenty of LFC gossip on BBC today, now we've made the first definite transfer (out) of the summer - Benayoun to Chelsea where he may find life on the bench a bit less to his liking.

all below from : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1....ult.stm (03/07/10)

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is also keen to secure the signature of Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard, and is willing to offer midfielders Rafael van der Vaart and Fernando Gago in part-exchange"

Not bad, VDV and Gago plus £10m+ and I'd be interested. If Mascherano also wanted to go, or is on his way, then we'd have some kind of midfield in place plus £10m+ from that deal and £25m+ for Mascherano. I'd want £30m+ for Mascherano but I'm not sure we're going to get many takers, with the w@ nkers at clubs interested trying to publically negotiate the fee down by getting every Tom, D1CK and Harry to say he isn't worth £30m.

"Liverpool are reportedly ready to make a move for Japan international midfielder Yashuhito Endo from Gamba Osaka, who impressed for his country at the World Cup in South Africa"

Has any Jap been a hit in England?!? Decent player from what I've seen, but think this would depend on the price for me as a bit of a gambal :D

"The Anfield club may also swoop for £9m-rated winger Royston Drenthe, who is reportedly surplus to requirements at Real Madrid."

He was talked up a few years ago wasn't he? Not so much in recent times that I've seen. Not sure why I think of Jerome Rothen when I see/hear the name Drenthe, maybe both were flavour of the day when Rothen moved to PSG

"In addition, the Merseysiders have joined Arsenal and Tottenham in the race to sign midfielder Joe Cole, who was recently released by Chelsea."

Depends how much he wants to stay in London, having played for well West Ham and Chelsea. Might like the 'arry connection at West Ham. My main concern, although I like the player, is his injury record and how much he's played in the last four seasons in the Premiership

Joe Cole (Premiership Apps)

06/07 : 10 apps, 0 goals
07/08 : 33 apps, 7 goals
08/09 : 14 apps, 2 goals
09/10 : 25 apps, 2 goals

So in the last two seasons he's made only one more Premiership appearance (39) than there are games in a season ie played about every other game, which applies across the four year spell - 82/152 = 53.95% . If we might get 19 games a season out of him, would we be that happy given his likely wage and his definite age (29 in November)

If we didn't get him I'd be a bit annoyed overall because we seem to miss too many good frees, but not that disappointed as we need a few less injury problems - not that I use that as an excuse for our poor finish any more than I blame injuries for us not winning the league in 08/09.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 am

Joe Cole will go to spurs
Thommo's perm

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 am

Who to sell? Well I think we might have to accept that money is tight and the best way forward may well be to sell "superstars" who are getting on a bit or serve only one function that can be replaced, and use that money to fund a squad. Who says we have to pay £20m any time we want a quality player?!!? Rafa did it with Torres and seemed to think from there on that the only way to get quality was to pay £17.5m+ for players and that didn't work out great did it? Anyway I'd go with :

Gerrard £30m+ - IF he wants to go, IF we can get a package worth £30m+ including part-exchanges that include worthwhile players. He had a poor season last season, maybe the club needs to move away from the Liverpool = Gerrard + Torres mentality. There have always been plenty of players out there haven't cost £20m+ that could do a job as good, nearly as good, or the same but slightly different in execution. He isn't getting any younger, he needs to decide if he wants to finish his career at Anfield or help the club and move elsewhere to try and win a league title

Mascherano £25m+ - down in price simply because I'm not sure we'd get takers if we keep it at £30m, maybe negotiate £20m+ with a better than decent full-back or winger coming this way, a youngster or good player surplus to requirements.

Riera £5m+ - not wanted, was never that consistent or equipped with a good end product so for me we just sell. If Jovanovic does come then he can play on the left flank, I think we can do much better than Riera

Cavalieri £2m+ - hasn't done much right, hasn't done much wrong, but hasn't been that great in goal and to me was a waste of £3m when we could have promoted a reserve keeper or got someone on a free.

Johnson £12m+ - free up more funds to the overall kitty and get someone who can defend, although I doubt many will offer more than the £10m he was ever worth at very best, which was never. Converting a full-back to a winger simply because he can't defend is daft to me, like it was with Riise. He, like Riise, is neither one thing nor the other. Can defend, but not enough to be a full-back, can contribute to the attack, but not enough to be a winger. His attacking isn't that good, I know some love to slate Kuyt and suck Johnson's johnson, but if we can do better than Kuyt on the right with his goals and assists, I'm damned sure we can do better than Johnson. Bad purchase, wrong player and wrong price.

Skrtel £4m+ - too thuggish for my liking, not defensively solid enough despite becoming a cult hero almost immediately on his arrival. Keep the greek for a bit longer, look at an inexpensive young CB to compete with the greek, Agger and Carra for CB places and move on. Skrtel was becoming 3rd/4th choice, we might be able to get some decent cash for him from some club or other.

Degen £2m+ - sell or use him, he didn't play in the Premiership in 08/09 and just seven times in 09/10 (WLLDWLW, WDL for those three games he started)

There are of course some other players not worth pricing up as you never know what you'll get for them - Plessis, Itandje, El Zhar and maybe reduce the overall squad size including reserves and youth team players to managable proportions.

As for Babel, I'd keep him for now, see what offers come in and who is outgoing. He can play striker, he's never been given much of a chance there. And he is versatile so keep options open

I doubt you'd see that whole list get sold, but that would still leave a decent base on which to build

GK Reina
RB Darby - need new RB
LB Insua - need new LB
CB Carragher/Kyrgiakos
CB Agger
RM Kuyt
LM Jovanovic
CM Aquilani
CM Lucas - need new DM/CM
CF Torres
CF Babel/Nemeth - need new CF

Subs

Gulacsi/Martin
Carragher/Kyrgiakos
Kelly
Pacheco
Rodriguez
Nemeth/Babel
N'Gog

That is based on selling all the names I've listed, not the worst starting point with even just £50m+ or 60m+ to spend. It's not a bad defence, decent midfield and not that bad up front. Those in the team above would be moved down to the bench with new arrivals, I think too many think "if  one or more of Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres and Reina leave then we'll be relegated", but we always get transition. Owen left in 04/05, one of our best players at the time. It happens, we move on. Took us a few seasons before Owen was adequately replaced, but now most despise Owen and Torres is the new king and most's favourite.

I wouldn't sell Torres unless someone started offering silly money, especially now Villa is no longer 'available'.
Last edited by Owzat on Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:25 am

Good post
I think Gerrards hearts not in it any more. Hes distracted on and off the pitch. Cash in while we can
Thommo's perm

Postby brentd4 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:48 am

my ideal wud be
out                     
lucas - 8
masch - 18 + cambiasso
riera - 6
beny - 6
degen - 3
insua - 7

in
j.cole - free