The bob paisley memorial appeal - Cracking idea

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:54 pm

This was posted on rawk and i thought it would be a good idea to have it on here.

The Bob Paisley Memorial Appeal

Last summer, myself and a few like-minded Reds who use the supporters website www.onthekop.com went to Glenbuck to see the memorial to Bill Shankly. It was more of a pilgrimage really and it struck us that only Liverpool supporters could do something like that to pay homage to one of our greats. Last Christmas thoughts turned to where to visit next and the obvious choice was Hetton-le-Hole, the birth place of Bob Paisley. I looked into it and found that the only memorial to the great man in his hometown was a small plaque high on the wall of one of Bobs former schools.

Our immediate thought was that the supporters of Liverpool Football Club may be able to improve on that.

We think that if a memorial exists for Bill Shankly at the town of his birth then Bob Paisley should be honoured in the same way.

Bob Paisley is our most successful manager with a total of 3 European Cups, 6 League Titles, 3 League Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 1 European Super Cup and 5 Charity Shields. Bob was named Manager Of The Year 6 times.

All this during a managerial career spanning just 8 seasons.

In 52 years of loyal service to Liverpool Football club, Bob was a player, physiotherapist, coach, manager and director. His achievements will surely be unsurpassed in the game.

In short, Bob Paisley is a World Football Great.

We approached the Paisley family in Liverpool with our idea to construct a memorial to Bob in Hetton-le-Hole. The Paisley family are delighted with the idea and would love to see this become a reality.

We then approached Hetton Town Council. They were really impressed with the idea and in early January invited us to Hetton to meet some of the local councillors and to show us around a few potential sites for the proposed memorial. We have since met with stone masons and construction firms in the Hetton-le-Hole area.

The local people of Hetton-le-Hole are very keen on this idea and fully support it.

Since then things have moved on to the point that we’re ready to commission the project, which will be similar to the Glenbuck memorial.

So now its up to us, the supporters of Liverpool F.C, to make this a reality.

We have decided to open this appeal fund so that supporters from home and abroad can make this happen. What we’re looking for is for supporters either through personal donations or as supporters clubs/organisations to donate whatever they can so that we can get this done as soon as possible, hopefully this summer.

We have already contacted as many supporters clubs as we can in case they need time to organise any fund raising events, should they wish.

A fund raising night is planned by us at The Sandon on March 29th. Details will be available soon, and tickets will be an affordable £10.

Myself and my 12 year old son Jack Graves will be doing a sponsored walk up Englands highest peak Scafell Pike towards the end of April, more details of this will be released soon.

Some websites and supporters clubs have already expressed an interest in holding events so that they can raise funds while celebrating the achievements of Bob Paisley.

If anyone would like further information please contact us at paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

Donations can be made to directly to our HSBC bank account
Account Number 73952886
Sort Code          40-22-25

If you wish to send cheques or postal orders then please make them payable to
"Bob Paisley Memorial Fund" and send to

Bob Paisley Memorial Fund
PO Box 72
LIVERPOOL
L19 1WZ

Donations can also be made via Paypal to paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk or alternatively, visit
www.bobpaisleymemorial.homestead.com

*Please note - Paypal incurs commission fees and will reduce the amount donated so if you can use any other method to send your donation please do.

T Shirts are available and all profits will go directly to the cause.

There are 2 designs available in small, medium, large, XL and XXL. The cost is a very reasonable £10 each. One of the designs is Bobs Favourite picture.

For more information, and to pre-order, visit this site
www.bobpaisleymemorial.homestead.com

All the information on ordering, delivery or collection at the match can be found there.

For background to this story, please follow these links

The original trip to Glenbuck (long read)

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,3621.0.html

The conception of The Bob Paisley Memorial

http://onthekop.com/forum/index.php/topic,6149.0.html

So now its up to you. Please donate whatever you can so that we, the supporters of Liverpool Football Club, can show our love and thanks to Bob Paisley.

Thank you.

Ian Graves
For and on behalf of The Bob Paisley Memorial Committee.

paisleymemorial@hotmail.co.uk

Please feel free to copy this message to any Liverpool Football Club supporters forums that you wish.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:10 pm

I think its a brilliant idea and i for one will certainly support it

I said sges ago cant remember which thread that when our new stadium is built we should have one of him on one side and the Shanks one on the other outside the main entrance of the new Kop the man deserves it because hes someone who the word Legand belongs to
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:47 pm

I think its a good idea.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:00 pm

Great idea, Bob was without doubt a great manager and deserves to be remembered in the same way as Shanks.
account deleted by request

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Lets start it now
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Judge » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:39 pm

s@int wrote:Great idea, Bob was without doubt a great manager and deserves to be remembered in the same way as Shanks.

its a shame that only 5 of us have replied in this topic  :(

the idea is good
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:44 pm

sorry.... saw this late....

Agreed completely.
ConnO'var

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Judge wrote:
s@int wrote:Great idea, Bob was without doubt a great manager and deserves to be remembered in the same way as Shanks.

its a shame that only 5 of us have replied in this topic  :(

the idea is good

Never mind shame Judge its a :censored: disgrace :no
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:12 pm

To be honest I'm stunned this wasn't done years ago.

Great idea - the man was an absolute giant of the game.
ivor_the_injun

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:34 pm

judge it's not just the fans though mate, the club itself doesn't care. It took them a :censored: age to get the Paisley gates done.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:41 pm

Of course we care, especially the club, the fact is Bob Paisley was our most successful manager ever and you cant mention liverpools history without mentioning Bob Paisley. There was a discussion a while back on football focus about the most successful manager in the game and a majority agreed that Bob Paisley was without a doubt untouchable, he won the lot and is a legend.

I like the idea, what better way to held reverence to such a great man.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion