Paisley

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:00 pm

Posted by Redders on RAWK...................

I've been asked to repost this for Tezza2010
from the offal.......

HI all,
The 14th of February holds a significant meaning to all Liverpool Supporters this season. not only is it the date of the re-arranged fixture against Arsenal. but also the 10th anniversary since the passing of a true Liverpool Legend in every sense of the word. Uncle Bob Paisley sadly succumbed to althezimers and passed away on this date in 1996. I want to start this as thread as a query as to wether the club intend to mark the occasion of Bob's passing with a tribute of some kind before the kick off of the match against Arsenal. I've seen mentioned on various other Liverpool sites that the anniversary is fast approaching but no one seems certain that the club is planning any sort of tribute to the GREATEST manager in English footballing history. for Over 40 years Bob gave tremendous service to this football club, but has now become it seems a bit of a Forgotton man in terms of remembrance. many of those who were supporters of the club during Bob's Tenure as Manager will look back fondly at a man who was always Humble in victory and also publically gracious in defeat (something a few managers today could learn about)

Bob has immortalized already by the club with the paisley gates, but is it time now for a more permanent tribute such as a statue ala the shankly one. I understand that Bill started the Dynasty of success for our club, but without Bob to take over and have the phenomenal amount of success in a job he didn't even want does arguably surpass the great man's achievements. and even in Death Bob, has had to live ( metaphorically speaking ) in Bill's shadow. i just feel as do many others that Bob now should be held in the same vein and regarded in the same esteem as Bill. if you agree, and even if you don't please respond here and maybe the MOds  could make the feelings of the fans from this board known to the club. and maybe we can get something more permanent to immortalize Bob.
after every thing he gave the club and the joy he brought to the Fans i feel it's the least he deserves.

YNWA BOB PAISLEY.

Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------
All I have to say is, we must make that night a flag day.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:48 pm

rest in peace SIR bob  :bowdown you humble and true gentleman.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby drummerphil » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:00 pm

never be another like him,greatest manager ever in my opinion.......3 european cups says it all.......

Sir Bob  :bowdown
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:56 pm

come on bob get to the library and sort out the 'doings'  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Paul C » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:54 pm

You have to respect Bob Paisley, the guy along with Joe Fagan don't get the respect they deserve :(

I hope we do Arsenal and I'm sure Bob will be willing the lads on :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:13 pm

never really got recognised for the true great he was.

I think a minutes applause and a mosaic in the kop followed by a win against arsenal should be a fitting tribute. But I can't help but things something more should be done.

Sir Bob YNWA  :buttrock
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rastalovich » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:21 pm

Can`t add much to what`s already been posted.

Spent alot of my younger years in admiration, sheer admiration. Different times maybe.

On a personal note, I`d add that managers elsewhere have been acclaimed for achieving a hell of alot less.
Bill Shankly: (About the This-is-Anfield plaque)
"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."
Rastalovich

Postby Paul C » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:14 pm

Rastalovich wrote:On a personal note, I`d add that managers elsewhere have been acclaimed for achieving a hell of alot less.

Exactly, Rick Parry made that point a few weeks ago  :angry:

They knight anyone these days  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 am

Liverpool didn't need a transfer kitty in the Paisley era.  He just went out and bought unknowns like Phil Neal, Joey Jones, Ian Rush and Ronnie Whelan and turned them into european champions.  We will never see his like again.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:02 am

a true football ledgend.

I only read his biography a couple of months ago and it is a eye opener to how much work he did behind shankley.

and when given the reins took the club to the pinnicle of club football. the domination of europe something no other manager has ever managed.

not great at being in the limelight like shankley which is why the recognition is slow to come.

YNWA
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:02 pm

An absolute giant of European football.

Shankly may have laid the foundations, but Paisley went out and built the palace.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:18 pm

Listen guys, we must have a flag day yeah?
(yeah I know its a nite match smart :censored:):p
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:46 am

Alan Hansen was bought by Bob Paisley for a paltry 100,000 pounds in 1977 from Partick Thisle (or was it 1978?) and was later described as the steal of the century.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:37 am

A true legend who always been remembered and aclaimed by those who matter the most, the fans.
I think it was 1983 Milk Cup final where he went up to collect the cup with players in his final season, a great touch for a man with the common touch
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 am

Yes, Laza. It was the 1983 Milk Cup Final, his final season and I remembered that the players led by Souness, ushered him to go up the steps first to collect the trophy.

The man is brilliant. He switched Ray Kennedy from a striker to a midfield who scores loads, bought all the legendary jocks - Dalglish, Hansen and Souness, also Nicol who would feature later on. So unassuming a man desite his massive success. Although Shanks was accredited with laying the foundations to a Liverpool footballing dynasty, Bob Paisley was the one who took Liverpool FC to such heights consistently that arguably even Shanks may have not envisaged would happen. I have a strong affinity with Bob Paisley because I became a fan in 1975, his first season as manager.

YNWA.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion