Paisley

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:42 am

Hi Ariz
Yes i understand the affinity with BoB, the 1983 Milk Cup was one of first live games that i saw Liverpool play in besides 1977 FA cup  which is which i first became a supporter ironically because they were losing and as kid i always went for the underdog. :)
Normally only FA Cup was televised live in Oz back in those days and Reds didnt have greatest record  in that competition despite their dominance in everything else
Images of the game still remain very vivid with Whelan's classic curler and Bob collecting the trophy. To cap all it was victory against the MANCs as well
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:11 am

Those were the days when the mancs were only good in the cups and would really be wound up to raise their game against us every time they played us. Bryan Robson would put on a supreme effort to take every game against Liverpool by the scruff of its neck and try to do everything for Manure, a bit like Setvie G does for us.

We lost the 1977 FA Cup final to them via a deflected shot, we lost the 1979 FA Cup semi final against them and the 1983 Chairty Shield, all during Bob's tenure. He had a not-so-good record in the FA Cup, the only trophy to have eluded his reign as manager. Still, it's no blemish at all when you trake into account what Bob Paisley won at the helm of Liverpool. Alex Ferguson can't compare because he has had an obscene amount of transfer kitty during his reign (like 30 million for a defender) and he has been on the job for 20 years compared to Bob Paisley's 9 years.

The knock-out nature of the FA Cup gives normally lesser teams possibility of doing a one-off and knock their more illustrious opponents out, the form book goes completely out of the window and the underdogs would raise their game. That's the most interesting thing about it, unlike any other cup competition elsewhere.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:48 am

paisley is the greatest coach to me, albeit most of the players inherited from shankly
shankly himself is the best motivator, despite requiring about ten years to enjoy european stages
rafa is prospectively going to be the best manager to me, he can make all of their achievments in a shorter period -out of broken-into-pieces-squad-inherited-by-houllier
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:24 am

Anfieldadorer, from the day Rafa was appointed, I had much more hope looking at his achievements at Valencia. This guy is no mug because unlike the extremely lucky Howard Wilkinson at Leeds United in 1991/92 when Manure gifted the championship to Leeds, Benitez repeated his Valencia achievement again and adding the UEFA Cup as well.

His reign did not start off well because he had a steep and shocking learning curve of the English game mentality and uniqueness of the EPL. Good a manager as he is, getting to the CL final, let alone winning it after going 0-3 down to a full strength AC Milan, was an achievement in itself because we had players who are either cr@p, have cr@ppy attitude or turned into cr@p by Houllier who messed them about by playing them out-of-position so many times in the past.

I agree with you that he has the prospects to become a great manager at Liverpool. The biggest mountain to climb is the challenge of Chelsea who has tonnes of money and can afford to spend well beyond their means. It is like you or me, being able to spend 2-3 times of your take home pay because a "sugar daddy" picks up the tabs we spend but can't pay for.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hawkmoon269 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:31 am

I think this is deserving of a  :bump
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:37 pm

Paisley was before my time but his achievements convince me that he was one of the great British managers and liverpools best.

I think he has sufferred from not having the charisma that Shankley did, Shankley quotes are great, paisley doesn't have many.

Joe Fagan is glossed over by many - surely a manager who won the European Cup and League and League cup in one season deserves the ultimate respect.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:25 am

Big Nail, Fagan of course deserves more respect than he actually received but the 1983/84 team was entirely inherited from Paisley. The biggest change was the omission of Phil Thompson. Fagan never really came to terms with the departure of Graeme Souness after 1983/84 and did not continue after the tragic European Cup final at Heysel to prove that he can truly create his own winning team, so we'll never know how great he is.

Paisley took Shanks' team, made his own changes like converting Ray Kennedy to a midfield player. Then in 1977/78, almost completely rebuilt the remnants of Shanks' era with players he bought (the jocks Hansen, Dalglish and Souness) and took the club to a much higher level. Yet again, by 1981/82 he again rebuilt his team (in Grobbelaar, Lawrenson, Rush, Whelan) and sustained the success. A truly great yet humble manager.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:36 am

:bowdown   :bowdown

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:15 pm

All hail paisly, the most underrated manager and for me the WORLD BEST MANAGER!

:bowdown  :bowdown
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby H_K_LFC » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:43 pm

He was before my time but from what from what i can see from his record he was a superb manager and from what i hear an under-rated one...His record just speaks for itself...

A Great Manger  :bowdown
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:59 am

Words can't describe what he done for this club...

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
115-1073096938

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:00 pm

BUMP

Last time Im on now before tonight, REMEMBER,  get the atmosphere sorted for Paisley, we need to make ourselves heard.
Scarves up for YNWA, stand up , keep singing, even the day drippers ( or night trippers as it is :cool: )

CUMMON LADS
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:37 pm

this from the offal.....

RAFA: I'D LOVE TO EMULATE PAISLEY

Mark Platt 14 February 2006

On the 10th anniversary of Bob Paisley's death, Rafael Benitez has paid tribute to the legendary former Liverpool manager and revealed he'd love to emulate the amazing achievements of the great man. 

The current Reds boss describes Paisley's trophy-haul as simply awesome and rates the three-time European Cup winner as one of the greatest managers in the history of world football.

"He was one of the most important managers in the history of this club and for all the things that he has done here he should be rightly regarded as one of the best of all-time," says Benitez in an exclusive interview with Liverpoolfc.tv to commemorate 'Paisley Week'.

"His record set the benchmark for every Liverpool manager that has followed him and I am no different. Really, I am just starting out here and there is a lot of work to be done but my idea always is to try and win every trophy, and I would love to win as many trophies as he did."

Since arriving at Anfield from Valencia in 2004, Benitez admits to studying the work of Paisley in greater detail and believes there is much to learn from his methods.

"Before coming to Liverpool I read some things about Paisley but not much and it's only since coming here that I have learnt a lot more about him and know what he achieved," he adds.

"It's hard to put your finger on what made him such a successful manager. Maybe it is because of the way he motivated the players and his passion for the club. Possibly a mix of these things, coupled with the ability to analyse the game and tell the players what they need to do. These things are really important and I think Bob Paisley could do all of these things."

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:40 pm

the great thing about paisley and shankly alike was that they were both exceptional man managers who were able to get the very best out of their players. they weren't exceptional coaches but what they were good at was getting the maximum out of what was already an exceptional bunch of players. the same went for brian clough.

that's what makes me laugh today when people go on about obtaining coaching badges blah blah blah. having a coaching badge doesn't make you a good manager.

all hail sir bob :bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion