Bob paisley - The greatest

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:19 pm

For me Bob Paisely was the greatest British club manager. The article below puts is so nicely  :D 

WHY BOB PAISLEY IS THE GREATEST OF ALL-TIME
Henry Winter 05 September 2005 

The Daily Telegraph's Henry Winter explains why Bob Paisley is the number one British manager of all-time and why current Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez is following in his footsteps. 

When you get into a conversation with other journalists about the greatest British manager of all-time the names of Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson and Jock Stein will inevitably crop up.

But for me the number one has to be Bob Paisley.

What Paisley did for Liverpool and the success he brought to the club was astonishing. It will probably never be surpassed. He led the club to three European Cups and was a real character to go with it. He was not only a fantastic manager, he was a fantastic man as well.

You have to remember what Shankly achieved before him in setting things up for Liverpool and building the foundations. But Bob Paisley took Liverpool to greater heights and made them what they are today - a truly brilliant football club.

Henry Winter
Current position: Daily Telegraph, been there 11 years.

Previous jobs: I jumped ship to the Telegraph from the Independent during the World Cup in the USA in 1994.

Number of years covering Liverpool: Since 1986 on and off, when Kenny Dalglish scored the goal to win the league at Chelsea in his first season as player-manager.

Paisley had the backing of the board but was also an expert reader of players' minds and he got them to play just the way he wanted. Players wanted to sign for Paisley and they wanted to play for him. He had that ability to inspire all around him and is just an absolute legend.

Paisley was a great believer in not worrying about the opposition and knowing the opposition's weakness. Like Shankly before him Paisley didn'tbuild the opposition up to be super human and he quietly went about making sure the opposition knew they were facing the number one team in the country.

The best manager's are the best man manager's - Clough, Ferguson, Stein, Paisley and Dalglish. You can even argue a case for Herbert Chapman and what he did for Arsenal in the 1930's but Paisley's record is just phenomenal. He led Liverpool to three European Cups, six league titles, a UEFA Cup and three League Cups. I mean, you just can't argue against that, it is awesome.

Contrary to the opinion of others I would certainly put Paisley ahead of Clough as the greatest British manager ever. Outside of Liverpool I think people do recognise Paisley's achievements but even if they don't I bet you he wouldn't be bothered. I think the most important thing for a Liverpool manager is to have the respect of the Kop. I think if you've got that then every Liverpool manager can go to his grave with a little smile knowing he has done his bit.

I don't quite buy into this myth that Liverpool aren't appreciated by the rest of the country. I think they are because most sports journalists around my age grew up in an era where Liverpool dominated. They were dominant and played good football as well.

Henry Winter
Most memorable match covering Liverpool: Champions League final, Istanbul 2005. It was the worst stadium I've ever been in and thought it was an insult to Liverpool to have to play there. The Liverpool fans made such a noise though and in terms of pure drama you can't beat that night. To come back from 3-0 down after being played off the park by Crespo and Kaka was amazing. From a journalistic perspective, in terms of pure sporting drama nothing will beat that night.

Best player seen in your time covering the Reds: Kenny Dalglish and John Barnes.

Team you support: Well, I'm not a Liverpool fan in the true sense but it is a club I greatly admire and have a lot of admiration for.

The great thing about Paisley was he produced a team who played wonderful football and won nearly everything in sight. To give an example, many managers have produced beautiful teams. Remember the great Holland side of the seventies? They played total football and were a joy to watch, but they never won anything.

When I talk to Liverpool fans the conversation that mostly comes up is 'should Paisley have been knighted?' The answer is Paisley should have been knighted without a doubt, there's no arguing that point but that's the world of football we live in for you. I mean it took a long time for them to honour the England football team of 1966. You look at Bobby Moore for example, the greatest English player ever, who was allowed to sadly go to an early grave without a knighthood.

It's a travesty that Paisley's achievements were never recognised in this way but I'm sure he, and every Liverpool fan, would not swap one of those three glorious European Cups for the honour of being called a 'Sir'.

As every Liverpool manager since 1983 will testify, following in the footsteps of Paisley is an awesome task. His phenomenal record raised the standards at Anfield but that can only be a good thing for the club.

It will be difficult to find a manager who could emulate Paisley but looking at the current Liverpool set-up, could it soon be a case of arise Sir Rafa?

I think so. Especially if he wins the European Cup again!

I don't know if you can knight a Spaniard but I'm sure the Liverpool fans will have their say. I think Liverpool have got a very good manager in Rafa Benitez and I'm sure Bob Paisley is looking on from above, happy in the knowledge that theclub he established as the best in Europe is once again in very good hands."

It's a travisty that Bob was not honoured for his great achievements. He would pobably not wnat it anyway, but in death both he and Bill Shankly should be honoured in some way. I'll check out the British Establishments sites..  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:08 pm

At my first ever Liverpool game, in the early 90's, i was waitng outside the players entrance for some autographs....met a few, Marsh, Barnes, Nicole, Molby....then just as i was about to leave, Bob walks out!  To be fair, i didn't know that much about him, but i met him and it was only after i found out who he really was!  Great guy who seemed to always be glad to stop and talk to (young) fans
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:45 pm

Can't believe there hasn't been more of a response to this considering that it's the greatest Liverpool manager ever that we're talking about. Shanks laid the foundations but this fella turned the building site into a palace. A palace full of trophies as well. No manager before or since has managed to win three European Cups and only Mourinho has equalled Bob's feat of winning the UEFA Cup and the European Cup in successive seasons. Actually I think some Spanish bloke may have as well... :oops:

The greatest British football manager ever - bar absolutely none  :bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:10 pm

Brilliant post Zara the man the myth the absolute f'ck.ing legend  :bowdown
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:10 pm

it was scandelous that bob paisley never got a knighthood
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:14 pm

mighty mo wrote:it was scandelous that bob paisley never got a knighthood

Didn't need one Mo... No Bob wasn't a fancy Dan he just loved what he did the fans recognition was enough, he already felt like he was rewarded beyond belief by the supporters love what a great man  :buttrock
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrTNT » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Excellent post and the f'cking best manager in the history of British football.  :buttrock
REST IN PEACE PHIL!
DrTNT

Postby Mikz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:03 pm

:bowdown Bob Paisley...I agree the greatest club manager ever. Never seemed to get the credit he deserved maybe he needed to be more outspoken. He obviously had a mean streak..its just hard to visualise he was such a nice man.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1093441336 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:24 pm

Think this is more than enough credit:

3 European Cups, 6 league titles, a UEFA Cup and 3 League Cups.

Say it all.

Who gives phuk whether the filthy Queen gave him a Knighthood or not. Her credit dont mean sh1t.

We ain't Manchester United.
109-1093441336

Postby Luis Garcia » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:52 pm

what a DULL post!

We all know who he was!

Shall we all start signing "Ferry Cross the Mersey" too?

Major Silly Post.

Zara you need...... :help
Luis Garcia

Postby supersub » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:00 am

Typical useless reply from Luis Garcia (hustler)
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:39 am

garcia and meelan are 24k morons
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:25 am

It is often overlooked that Paisley did win all of those trophies from 1975 to 1983. Apart from winning trophies by the bucket loads in such a short space of time, what else did Paisley do?

He sold Kevin Keegan who was then at the peak of his playing powers, and bought Kenny Dalglish and added Graeme Souness and Alan Hansen who was a real steal at only 100,000 pounds and the team kept winning! If I am not mistaken, Paisley converted Ray Kennedy from a striker into a midfielder who scores loads of goals.

No matter the opponent, we would play the same way - mostly pressing them and pass them out of the park.

Trully the greatest British manager ever.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:39 am

mistyred wrote:Brilliant post Zara the man the myth the absolute f'ck.ing legend  :bowdown

she didnt write it mate.

the man was an absolute legend, he is really the first manager i remember although shankly was manager when i went to my first game.

there wasnt as much media attention when bob was manager or im sure he would have recieved some recognition apart from his OBE

112-1077774096

Postby Judge » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:08 am

it was a shame what he was left like at the end of his life.

he was a great man
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion