Should liverpool sell steven gerrard? - The times 20th december

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 pm

ok im not advocating the sale of Gerrard. the team will lose alot of its identity by selling its mascot, its icon. but he certainly hasnt been playing up to his level this season. perhaps its injury then thats not his fault. i do wish he gets back to his best soon though. the reason why i mentioned what i did above was because ive seen certain posters in the past comment on how he had let one off to a team mate when something does not go his way. i remember Garcia being on the receiving end of one.

EmR, Figo left for  £37 million. Zidane left for €78 million like you said. but i honestly doubt any team would fork out that much for Gerrard. perhaps he would be around the Figo range. besides, with other younger players such as Fabregas, Nasri, Ireland, Mata, Banega, Iniesta, etc playing in a similar position the rich clubs are filled with options. the fact that Gerrard is so affiliated with Liverpool is also a factor. its like trying to convince Raul or Guti to join another team other then RM.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Reg wrote:He wanted to sell Alonso to buy Barry - true or false ?  ???

The worst piece of business and the biggest gamble he ever got involved in.
To sell the classy, creative and loyal Alonso to buy the distinctly average Barry. It has been the root of Rafas and ultimately our problems. We are feeling the repercussions of that dreadful decision now.

Are you taking the p*ss? Alonso loyal? Alonso is no villian by any stretch of the imagination, and he certainly gave us more than we were due by spending five years with us, but for a player to openly hand in his transfere request is not being loyal, particularly having made it clear some time before that he wanted to go back to Spain at some point in the near future, and yes, I am talking before the Barry fiasco. This is not conjecture either. This is a fact stated by players Alonso was closest to in the camp. Again, to use Alonso as the root of our problems is extremely narrow, and short minded. Alonso wanted to leave. Benitez brought the player in from Sociedad when he was relatively an unknown, moulded him into one of the most recognized holding players on the planet, and made three times the profit on what he bought him for and held out to get that simply because he was worth that price. If a player wishes to leave, there is nothing the manager can do other than get a good deal.

I remember at one time on this forum when the likes of Lando, Nanny etc etc constantly jumped to the defense of the Spaniard when he was often labelled as "not good enough" and "limited" by a certain party on here (can't remember specifically, but critisism was rife). I remember that the move for Barry being widely accepted by most, while other's, and some that I've mentioned, were critical of it and constantly stateing the importance of Alonso in the squad. So, now that Alonso is gone, I find it interesting that opinion has changed, and those that were slating Alonso are now saying that our current undoing is down to Benitez not keeping hold of him, and that he was our rock afterall? Some of you lot are more capricious than the weather these days.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 pm

how much did Zidane and Figo go for?

I'm not one to Google answers, but I know for certain that at the time, their prices were record breaking, certainly considering that they were in the later stages of their career. I think ZZ was sold for over 70 million to Real.

Zidane 46 and Figo 37 it says on the ever so reliable wiki  :D

They were both nearing the end of their careers though your right about that.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 pm

I was speaking of Euros, and it was close. Was actually 66 million Euro. In the current economic climate, that's a right chunk of change converting to pounds.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I was speaking of Euros, and it was close. Was actually 66 million Euro. In the current economic climate, that's a right chunk of change converting to pounds.

Well an potential buyers can keep their chunks of change and we will keep our best player thanks  :;):
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Are you taking the p*ss? Alonso loyal? Alonso is no villian by any stretch of the imagination, and he certainly gave us more than we were due by spending five years with us, but for a player to openly hand in his transfere request is not being loyal, particularly having made it clear some time before that he wanted to go back to Spain at some point in the near future, and yes, I am talking before the Barry fiasco. This is not conjecture either. This is a fact stated by players Alonso was closest to in the camp. Again, to use Alonso as the root of our problems is extremely narrow, and short minded. Alonso wanted to leave. Benitez brought the player in from Sociedad when he was relatively an unknown, moulded him into one of the most recognized holding players on the planet, and made three times the profit on what he bought him for and held out to get that simply because he was worth that price. If a player wishes to leave, there is nothing the manager can do other than get a good deal.

I remember at one time on this forum when the likes of Lando, Nanny etc etc constantly jumped to the defense of the Spaniard when he was often labelled as "not good enough" and "limited" by a certain party on here (can't remember specifically, but critisism was rife). I remember that the move for Barry being widely accepted by most, while other's, and some that I've mentioned, were critical of it and constantly stateing the importance of Alonso in the squad. So, now that Alonso is gone, I find it interesting that opinion has changed, and those that were slating Alonso are now saying that our current undoing is down to Benitez not keeping hold of him, and that he was our rock afterall? Some of you lot are more capricious than the weather these days.

Your missing the point though Emerald.

Rafa wanted to sell Alonso .....not for 3 times his price, but for between £14 and £16million when he was after Barry.

Rafa then replaced Alonso with an injured player that has played 45mins since he joined us.

Alonso had 2 good years out of 5 with us (I personally don't think he was that good in his first season either)

We EVENTUALLY got a good price for him, but before his last excellent season for us we couldn't get £15million for him.

My opinion of Alonso hasn't changed, I thought he was a good player who had two poor seasons on the trot before Rafa first tried to sell him.

I find it strange that people are trying to defend Rafa by talking about Barry rather than the injured player that Rafa paid almost double the price we could have got Barry for.
account deleted by request

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:33 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

To sell the classy, creative and loyal Alonso to buy the distinctly average Barry. It has been the root of Rafas and ultimately our problems. We are feeling the repercussions of that dreadful decision now.

Are you taking the p*ss? Alonso loyal? Alonso is no villian by any stretch of the imagination, and he certainly gave us more than we were due by spending five years with us, but for a player to openly hand in his transfere request is not being loyal, particularly having made it clear some time before that he wanted to go back to Spain at some point in the near future, and yes, I am talking before the Barry fiasco. This is not conjecture either. This is a fact stated by players Alonso was closest to in the camp. Again, to use Alonso as the root of our problems is extremely narrow, and short minded. Alonso wanted to leave. Benitez brought the player in from Sociedad when he was relatively an unknown, moulded him into one of the most recognized holding players on the planet, and made three times the profit on what he bought him for and held out to get that simply because he was worth that price. If a player wishes to leave, there is nothing the manager can do other than get a good deal.

No I am not taking the :censored:. As far as I know Alonso was happy at Liverpool for the next 3-5 years before he left. If you have direct quotes from those close to him which contradict this then please enlighten me with the names and information. I personally always thought he was classy and reliable. Im not saying he was perfect and I agree he did want away. But I dont blame him for the way Rafa treated him. Didnt Gerrard hand in a transfer request? If so what does that make him?
I am not using Alonso as THE root of our problems. Youre right that would be narrow and short minded. I have said on many occasions that there are a host of reasons why we find ourselves in this predicament. Not just one
I have never thought or said that he wasnt good enough and I absolutely still believe he is twice the player that boring Barry will ever be, and did and still believe if we had him we would be better off than we are now.
So I am not one of "you lot" as I have been consistent and honest in my opinion of Alonso and sorry that he left
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 pm

s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:Are you taking the p*ss? Alonso loyal? Alonso is no villian by any stretch of the imagination, and he certainly gave us more than we were due by spending five years with us, but for a player to openly hand in his transfere request is not being loyal, particularly having made it clear some time before that he wanted to go back to Spain at some point in the near future, and yes, I am talking before the Barry fiasco. This is not conjecture either. This is a fact stated by players Alonso was closest to in the camp. Again, to use Alonso as the root of our problems is extremely narrow, and short minded. Alonso wanted to leave. Benitez brought the player in from Sociedad when he was relatively an unknown, moulded him into one of the most recognized holding players on the planet, and made three times the profit on what he bought him for and held out to get that simply because he was worth that price. If a player wishes to leave, there is nothing the manager can do other than get a good deal.

Your missing the point though Emerald.

Rafa wanted to sell Alonso .....not for 3 times his price, but for between £14 and £16million when he was after Barry.

Rafa then replaced Alonso with an injured player that has played 45mins since he joined us.

Alonso had 2 good years out of 5 with us (I personally don't think he was that good in his first season either)

We EVENTUALLY got a good price for him, but before his last excellent season for us we couldn't get £15million for him.

My opinion of Alonso hasn't changed, I thought he was a good player who had two poor seasons on the trot before Rafa first tried to sell him.

I find it strange that people are trying to defend Rafa by talking about Barry rather than the injured player that Rafa paid almost double the price we could have got Barry for.

Circumstances change from summer-to-summer regarding budget, though. The summer we sold Xabi, he'd to sell to buy, plus the Yanks probably had the pressure on to get a sufficient recoup on the player to balance the books. Who knows. I'm not debating the fact Bentez f*cked up by buying an injured player to replace him with, but at the time Xabi's handing in his transfere was a bit of a suprirse and probably something that Rafa wasn't even expecting. I recall him trying to get him to stay, but when he couldn't what was he to do? Who were the alternatives? He had to act quick, and in his defense it would have been a serious reshuffling of his overall plans for the team this season. It was a gamble, but it's still not excusing the fact that we should have at least been OK, or at least functioning as a team without Alonso. I still believe the state of the side isn't just down to his exit. It's part of it no doubt. I just find it irritating that people are now using this as an excuse to excuse the poor form of the team this season. When Xabi was out for long spells, we coped well enough. Anyway, back to the topic at hand about our captain.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Sir Roger wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

No I am not taking the :censored:. As far as I know Alonso was happy at Liverpool for the next 3-5 years before he left. If you have direct quotes from those close to him which contradict this then please enlighten me with the names and information. I personally always thought he was classy and reliable. Im not saying he was perfect and I agree he did want away. But I dont blame him for the way Rafa treated him. Didnt Gerrard hand in a transfer request? If so what does that make him?
I am not using Alonso as THE root of our problems. Youre right that would be narrow and short minded. I have said on many occasions that there are a host of reasons why we find ourselves in this predicament. Not just one
I have never thought or said that he wasnt good enough and I absolutely still believe he is twice the player that boring Barry will ever be, and did and still believe if we had him we would be better off than we are now.
So I am not one of "you lot" as I have been consistent and honest in my opinion of Alonso and sorry that he left

It was Gerrard that said he knew he wanted to leave for some time in an interview just after he'd gone. As for Steve handing in his transfere request, I'm fairly certain he'd have been well gone if it weren't for Benitez and that CL win. Gerrard was waiting on a call that never came, and at the time, that call was meant to come from Slick Rick. His usual antics.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:03 pm

It was Gerrard that said he knew he wanted to leave for some time in an interview just after he'd gone. As for Steve handing in his transfere request, I'm fairly certain he'd have been well gone if it weren't for Benitez and that CL win. Gerrard was waiting on a call that never came, and at the time, that call was meant to come from Slick Rick. His usual antics.

So Alonso wasnt loyal because he wanted to go and did?
But Gerrard was loyal because he wanted to go but didnt?
???
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:15 pm

So Alonso wasnt loyal because he wanted to go and did?
But Gerrard was loyal because he wanted to go but didnt?
???

No. Alonso was loyal because he wanted to go for some time, but ended up giving us five years. However, he tarnished that by aburptly handing in his transfer on such a short notice. As soon as Madrid came calling, he jumped. I've no ill feelings for Xabi. At least he gave Benitez the time to negotiate a good price and the circumstances were completely different regarding Gerrard. Gerrard hadn't a clue if the club even wanted to sign a new contract with him, even when he made it clear that he wanted to after that final.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:29 pm

So
Alonso was loyal because he wanted to go for some time, but ended up giving us five years and least he gave Benitez the time to negotiate a good price. But in your opinion he tarnished that by abruptly handing in his transfer on such a short notice.
Fair enough
Still rather have him than Barry
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Let's be honest, if we were going to sell him it would either be forced because of the ownership situation, or more simply for the reason that he wants to play in a successful side. You don't look to sell your best players because they're disappointed with the state of our performances. You need them, they don't necessarily need you (although some degree of loyalty is an honourable trait).

I'm quite certain that if we were challenging for the title and still in the CL, the idea that we should offload him because of his attitude and the supposed effect that has on the squad would never have arisen. It's only 'become' a factor in this guy's mind because of our performance this season - you wouldn't have seen it suggested last season. If there's a justifcation for the manager to choose to sell him, it would be because of the fee he would command and the need to fund other areas of the squad, not because of any 'intimidating' attitude which supposedly limits players around him (FFS! 'LIMITS'! :laugh: ). As it happens I don't think the benefits of any likely fee outweigh what would be the loss of our best player; one who other players admire and want to play alongside.

He wants to win, that is all. To see his team sitting 8th, out of the CL and up the creek without a parry must be very depressing after the progress we made last season.
LFC2007

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:35 pm

I think this is what people call a russian doll... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:43 pm

we could try this.
its from my local paper.

Dicks puts entire Grays squad up for sale

GRAYS Athletic are holding a January sale with a difference — they’ve put up their entire playing squad up for sale.

The patience of New Rec boss Julian Dicks finally ran out a week ago when his side slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Blue Square South strugglers Worcester City.

Dicks admitted: “It was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

“Our first-half performance was a disgrace — a total joke.

“I can understand mistakes but I won't tolerate a lack of passion and desire.

“If clubs want any of my players they can take them.

“They are all officially available for transfer, but don’t be fooled they will get Blues Square Premier clubs — none of them are good enough for this level. I need a minimum of six or seven positions filled.”

Former West Ham full-back Dicks, is hoping to fund a spending spree by Peterborough agreeing to give them a pay-off if former Grays striker Aaron McLean gets an expected £1.2m transfer from Championship strugglers Peterborough United.

Posh signed the goal star for £150,000 in January 2007. Former Grays' chairman Mike Woodward revealed that, although Posh treated Grays very well, there was still a small sell-on clause in place.

Grays are currently fourth from bottom and are four points away from escaping from the drop zone.

I was talking to Julian Dicks the other night, he is so :censored: off with the players, most of the fans are backing him.
I do find him a bit of a strange guy but he is ok, not sure he is cut out to be a big time manager but if he can turn Grays into a good team them he would be able to make or team win the prem, shame Grays had a great team a few years ago.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion