Should liverpool sell steven gerrard? - The times 20th december

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:17 pm

He wanted to sell Alonso to buy Barry - true or false ?  ???
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheLad » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Sell Gerrard and Torres and we are on our way to join Leeds United.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:21 pm

Reg wrote:He wanted to sell Alonso to buy Barry - true or false ?  ???

True, but no one would buy Alonso for the price Rafa wanted. I want to buy a new house, but no one will pay me £500k for my present one either.

If you can't sell a player for whom you need the money, you have to change your plans , not moan about missing out on a player because of it.
account deleted by request

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:What's the market rate for Gerrard, £40m MAX. You are fools if you think he would go for more. My issue is that his influence is worth so much more than the market can buy him for. The goals he has scored have paid back the club 10 fold in revenue.

If Ronaldo is 80 million worth, then Gerrard is worth at least that, or a little under. He's easily the best footballer of his kind this generation and still has at least 5 years left in him.

You clearly fail to understand the transfer market then. Ronaldo's price was predominantly due to the fact he is that good so young. Age is a massive factor.

Would a club pay 80m for Gerrard knowing he is at his peak now and less likely to improve? I doubt it.

Quality and legend as he is, his age would hinder any big spend by a would be purchaser.

Was age a factor with Figo and Zidane? I rest my case.

how much did Zidane and Figo go for?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:55 pm

does anyone here think the other players who are not on the same level or reputation as Gerrard are intimidated by him hence they are unable to flaunt their ability because they rather give the captain the ball instead of "stealing the limelight"?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Even if we sold him for 80mil why guarantee is there we would even be able to spend it all on new players? It would probably go on lowering the debt again.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:26 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:does anyone here think the other players who are not on the same level or reputation as Gerrard are intimidated by him hence they are unable to flaunt their ability because they rather give the captain the ball instead of "stealing the limelight"?

Perhaps that tells us rather more about the quality of some of the squad players rather than our better players.

Gerrard is an exceptional talent, as was Dalglish...... but I don't remember anyone complaining about Dalglish intimidating our players...... just the opposition.
account deleted by request

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:56 pm

s@int wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:does anyone here think the other players who are not on the same level or reputation as Gerrard are intimidated by him hence they are unable to flaunt their ability because they rather give the captain the ball instead of "stealing the limelight"?

Perhaps that tells us rather more about the quality of some of the squad players rather than our better players.

Gerrard is an exceptional talent, as was Dalglish...... but I don't remember anyone complaining about Dalglish intimidating our players...... just the opposition.

Exactly mate, its just people making excuses that would come out with things like that.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Boocity » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:07 pm

bavlondon wrote:Even if we sold him for 80mil why guarantee is there we would even be able to spend it all on new players? It would probably go on lowering the debt again.

Exactly! just what the Glazers did with the Ronaldo transfer money
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:26 pm

The worst piece of business and the biggest gamble he ever got involved in.
To sell the classy, creative and loyal Alonso to buy the distinctly average Barry. It has been the root of Rafas and ultimately our problems. We are feeling the repercussions of that dreadful decision now.
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:57 pm

s@int wrote:

Damn well right it does.

Look, what selling Gerrard will do is simply lower the common denominator, that's all. Getting rid of a great player who adds so much will mean that the responsibility for heating the engine room and making opportunities arise will fall on Mascherano (if still here) and Lucas (don't make me fuckin laugh). But of who are incapable, not because of Gerrard, but because they aren't good enough.

The standard of the team will be lowered DRASTICALLY.

That's not an option for a way forward.

The way is clear. Get rid of the extremely limited manager we have and get someone in who can motivate the men in the team.

It's WAY beyond Benitez's capability.
tonyeh

Postby tonyeh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:58 pm

Sir Roger wrote:

To sell the classy, creative and loyal Alonso to buy the distinctly average Barry. It has been the root of Rafas and ultimately our problems. We are feeling the repercussions of that dreadful decision now.

...and just one of those chickens that have come home to roost.
tonyeh

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:30 pm

tonyeh wrote:
s@int wrote:

Damn well right it does.

Look, what selling Gerrard will do is simply lower the common denominator, that's all. Getting rid of a great player who adds so much will mean that the responsibility for heating the engine room and making opportunities arise will fall on Mascherano (if still here) and Lucas (don't make me fuckin laugh). But of who are incapable, not because of Gerrard, but because they aren't good enough.

The standard of the team will be lowered DRASTICALLY.

That's not an option for a way forward.

The way is clear. Get rid of the extremely limited manager we have and get someone in who can motivate the men in the team.

It's WAY beyond Benitez's capability.

:nod
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Sir Roger » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:35 pm

tonyeh wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:

...and just one of those chickens that have come home to roost.

A peep, a flock and a brood of chickens are currently roosting at Anfield mate...
:(
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:37 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:What's the market rate for Gerrard, £40m MAX. You are fools if you think he would go for more. My issue is that his influence is worth so much more than the market can buy him for. The goals he has scored have paid back the club 10 fold in revenue.

If Ronaldo is 80 million worth, then Gerrard is worth at least that, or a little under. He's easily the best footballer of his kind this generation and still has at least 5 years left in him.

You clearly fail to understand the transfer market then. Ronaldo's price was predominantly due to the fact he is that good so young. Age is a massive factor.

Would a club pay 80m for Gerrard knowing he is at his peak now and less likely to improve? I doubt it.

Quality and legend as he is, his age would hinder any big spend by a would be purchaser.

Was age a factor with Figo and Zidane? I rest my case.

how much did Zidane and Figo go for?

I'm not one to Google answers, but I know for certain that at the time, their prices were record breaking, certainly considering that they were in the later stages of their career. I think ZZ was sold for over 70 million to Real.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion