Should liverpool sell steven gerrard? - The times 20th december

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby shakey » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Should we sell Gerrard...........ERR NO!!!!!
shakey

Postby Reg » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:01 pm

Another good post, well said Sabre.  :cool:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:13 pm

if we could get 60 million, all to be spent on players and he wanted to go... in a heartbeat
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:21 pm

dawson99 wrote:if we could get 60 million, all to be spent on players and he wanted to go... in a heartbeat

60 M sounds tempting, but if the objective is to win the league, I have to say 60M were not enough for Manchester City to achieve that.

I have so many reasons not to sell Gerrard that I can't count them.

1) Quality. World Class.

2) On paper, substituting a quality player with another quality player makes sense, and in football manager it works. In real football it's a gamble.

3) I'm devastated enough seeing how what he had been building is collapsing. It's bad enough to not have almost any player of the ones who win the CL, what we don't need is yet another player gone.

4) Even the less when he's a respected player, the kind of player that makes other players such as Torres signing for this club. Players sign up for clubs in which there are top players. We need Gerrards, Torres, Reinas and Mascheranos.

5) Emotionally, it's important that a player debuts, rises, matures, and retires in the same club. Yes call me a football romantic.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:31 pm

but if he wants to go then your reasons are pointless.

60 million not enough for Man city, so what?

We're not Man city, we're Liverpool. No player is bigger than the club. IF any or all wanted to leave, sell them all...

And if Torres is only playing for the club because of Gerrard, well thats no reason. We'll always have class players, these things always happen. all im saying is if he wanted to go id sell him in a flash, dont want him moaning and moping and bringing the rest of the team down.

On the other hand, id lvoe him to stay til he manages us, bringing the team up through these turbulant times
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:56 pm

If Gerrard was sold for 60 million and it was given to Rafa to buy players, would you trust him to buy good enough players with that money?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby made in UK » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Sir Roger wrote:If Gerrard was sold for 60 million and it was given to Rafa to buy players, would you trust him to buy good enough players with that money?

Honestly......................... No
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby tonyeh » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:10 pm

...and if he bought them, would he even play them?

:D
tonyeh

Postby made in UK » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:12 pm

tonyeh wrote:...and if he bought them, would he even play them?

:D

Honestly...................... Probably not.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:16 pm

Sabre wrote:Also, I disagree the notion of Rafa hindering Gerrard's career in the last 5 years, if someone dares to say that.

If anyone is saying this now, then I suggest they go find a pitchfork and headbutt it...repeatedly. Lord knows it makes me want to do it, considering that even when Gerrard was playing under Houllier, the same sh*te was being spouted about him not being able to find the best position for him. Gerrard is so versatile, he can play almost anywhere. Sure he first started playing at RB, then RM, the CM, then eventually as an AM. I'm amazed that to this day, the dabate about Gerrard's best position is in CM. No. I think the past two seasons are proof that Rafa found Steve's best position  and for anyone to even debate that is madness.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Sir Roger wrote:If Gerrard was sold for 60 million and it was given to Rafa to buy players, would you trust him to buy good enough players with that money?

Yes. Without a doubt, yes. If anything has held under scutiny of the Benitez regime, it's that when he's had it - the money that is - he'd generally bought very well when he's had the luxury of spending roughly 15-20 million on a player. Of course the obvious acception is Robbie Keane, but he was quickly shuffled out the door in fairness. If Rafa was given 60 million to spend in a single summer, then I'd have every confidence he'd find the quality we need. People seem to have forgotten that this is the manager that found us players like Torres, Alonso, Reina, and Mascherano. In today's market, how much would Torres cost us? I'd say the price of all of what we paid for the above players combined.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:48 am

Emerald Red wrote:

Yes. Without a doubt, yes. If anything has held under scutiny of the Benitez regime, it's that when he's had it - the money that is - he'd generally bought very well when he's had the luxury of spending roughly 15-20 million on a player. Of course the obvious acception is Robbie Keane, but he was quickly shuffled out the door in fairness. If Rafa was given 60 million to spend in a single summer, then I'd have every confidence he'd find the quality we need. People seem to have forgotten that this is the manager that found us players like Torres, Alonso, Reina, and Mascherano. In today's market, how much would Torres cost us? I'd say the price of all of what we paid for the above players combined.

Thats 4 players Emerald
Out of how many?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:42 am

Sir Roger wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:

Thats 4 players Emerald
Out of how many?

Actually, there's been more than four good buys. I'm talking about the premium players; those that cost us between 15-20 million. You also look at some of the lesser players bought. Most were sold for considerable profit. Under Evens and Houllier, we never really made anything on the sh*t they brought in.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:58 am

pity managers dont have a price tag otherwise we could cash in on him
maypaxvobiscum

Postby loopyliverpool » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:15 am

If Rafa has bought so well why is our squad so limited?
loopyliverpool

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion