Lfc approached roberto mancini - The times december 24, 2009

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:26 am

Liverpool upset by Garry Cook’s claim of Roberto Mancini approach

Tony Barrett

Garry Cook, the chief executive of Manchester City, has sparked fury at Anfield by claiming that Liverpool approached Roberto Mancini with a view to the Italian replacing Rafael Benítez as manager.

Cook’s latest controversial comments have landed him in hot water with the Liverpool hierarchy, who have refused to comment. Privately, they have not been impressed by Cook’s outburst and are likely to regard it as a smokescreen after the sacking of Mark Hughes and subsequent appointment of Mancini as City manager.

The City chief executive was criticised after he claimed that Mancini had not been offered the job until last Thursday but it had emerged that the decision to replace Hughes had been taken three weeks ago.

In an attempt to explain his actions, Cook shifted the attention on to Liverpool, using their approach to Jürgen Klinsmann as a potential replacement for Benítez two years ago as evidence that clubs often have managerial successors lined up before the incumbent has been dismissed. “It is naive to think that clubs are not looking at their options,” Cook said. “Of course they are. Do we think that Liverpool just talked to Klinsmann? I am sure they also spoke to others, and I have no doubt that Roberto Mancini was one of them. Of course he would have been.”

Shortly after talks were held with Klinsmann, in November 2007, Tom Hicks, the Liverpool co-owner, confessed that an approach had been made to the German but said it was only as a contingency in case Benítez left the club to join Real Madrid.

At the time, Liverpool were not linked with any other manager nor was there any evidence that they had launched a recruitment offensive, with agents employed to sound out potential successors to the Spaniard.

Benítez will also see Cook’s comments as an unnecessary distraction as he attempts to reinvigorate Liverpool’s flagging fortunes. However, one issue that he believes will right itself is the form of Steven Gerrard, which Benítez insists will improve as his captain’s fitness levels increase, enabling him to play and train more regularly.

“He knows that he needs to improve but that in itself is very positive for me because it shows that he realises he is an important player for us,” Benítez said.

“He was doing much better, we were analysing his data and this was very clear. In the last game [against Portsmouth] he wasn’t at the same level, but this can sometimes happen and he knows that he is improving physically and this is the main thing for his confidence.

“We have a lot of conversations, not just with Stevie, but with a lot of players. They want to improve and sometimes that can be a problem because they can try to too hard and that makes it more difficult.

“If you analyse our team, people always talk about Gerrard and [Fernando] Torres. They are very important for us and they would be for any team. They have to be good because this means the rest of the team will be better and if they don’t play at the level they can, it can affect the team.

“Steven is a very good player and because the fans have seen him play very well they expect him to play at the same level, but it’s not easy when you’re not training with the team. If he has no [injury] problems, I am sure he will be better.”
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:42 am

That cook seems like a blurt of the highest order, his comments are insinuations and if he is not careful LFC if he is wrong could make like difficult for him.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Dundalk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:45 am

The start of the end of Rafa?

Cook is a bit of a clown but at the same time this hardly surprises me
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:19 am

Reg wrote:“It is naive to think that clubs are not looking at their options,” Cook said. “Of course they are. Do we think that Liverpool just talked to Klinsmann? I am sure they also spoke to others, and I have no doubt that Roberto Mancini was one of them. Of course he would have been.”

I think the headline is quite misleading if it is based on those two quotes.

Seems to me that Cook is speculating as to what big clubs tend to do; make enquiries about the availability of the top managers regardless of whether there's a man still at the helm.
I think it's without class though that he couldn't just defend City's decision with his own justifications rather than deflecting attention by citing G&H's approach to Klinsmann. As if that fiasco is an exemplar ffs.
LFC2007

Postby Effes » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:21 am

Reg wrote:“It is naive to think that clubs are not looking at their options,” Cook said. “Of course they are. Do we think that Liverpool just talked to Klinsmann? I am sure they also spoke to others, and I have no doubt that Roberto Mancini was one of them. Of course he would have been.”

It's a nothing story.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:31 am

God bless, news is a bit slow this week on the Liverpool front, they havnt had there piece of flesh so now try and make something out of nothing to stir it again, w@nkers.

it must upset them that we dont go around sacking managers  willy-nilly like ermmmmmmmmmmmmm, man city
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Sabre » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:40 am

I agree most of the people of this thread concerning the credibility of that story of that guy Cook

“He knows that he needs to improve but that in itself is very positive for me because it shows that he realises he is an important player for us,” Benítez said.

“He was doing much better, we were analysing his data and this was very clear. In the last game [against Portsmouth] he wasn’t at the same level, but this can sometimes happen and he knows that he is improving physically and this is the main thing for his confidence.

“We have a lot of conversations, not just with Stevie, but with a lot of players. They want to improve and sometimes that can be a problem because they can try to too hard and that makes it more difficult.

“If you analyse our team, people always talk about Gerrard and [Fernando] Torres. They are very important for us and they would be for any team. They have to be good because this means the rest of the team will be better and if they don’t play at the level they can, it can affect the team.

“Steven is a very good player and because the fans have seen him play very well they expect him to play at the same level, but it’s not easy when you’re not training with the team. If he has no [injury] problems, I am sure he will be better.”

I also think that once Torres and Gerrard play together for some time and with Mascherano recovered this team has to play much better and they will.

But the timer is counting and I'm not sure Rafa will survive another bad result.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:58 am

At the end of the day, Rafa needs to start producing results one way or another. He can't keep talking about players coming back, turning corners etc. You built the squad, you need to get results out of it - simples. If you don't have Torres or Gerrard, or don't have both, then tough. You have to make do with what you have. Bottom line is the team isn't so bad it should have lost 10 times this season, there's something not right and it's more than just missing Torres.

The problem now for Rafa is the club will be scrutinising every bad result, Rafa might be able to afford to lose the odd away game, and maybe even to the big guns at home, but he keeps slipping up to sides like Blackburn (0-0) and Pompey (0-2) then he will be shot. You can justify away defeats to beachballs (0-1), Chelsea (0-2) etc, but we've now dropped 27 points already and that's only one less than we dropped all last season with another 60 to play for

It would have been quite interesting to see how Mancini would have got on if we'd sacked Rafa before Citeh grabbed Mancini. We went out of Europe a week or so before it is reported/speculated Citeh approached Mancini. Perhaps they wanted to test the water before we started shopping around
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:49 am

Reg wrote:Liverpool upset by Garry Cook’s claim of Roberto Mancini approach

Tony Barrett

Garry Cook, the chief executive of Manchester City, has sparked fury at Anfield by claiming that Liverpool approached Roberto Mancini with a view to the Italian replacing Rafael Benítez as manager.

Cook’s latest controversial comments have landed him in hot water with the Liverpool hierarchy, who have refused to comment. Privately, they have not been impressed by Cook’s outburst and are likely to regard it as a smokescreen after the sacking of Mark Hughes and subsequent appointment of Mancini as City manager.

The City chief executive was criticised after he claimed that Mancini had not been offered the job until last Thursday but it had emerged that the decision to replace Hughes had been taken three weeks ago.

In an attempt to explain his actions, Cook shifted the attention on to Liverpool, using their approach to Jürgen Klinsmann as a potential replacement for Benítez two years ago as evidence that clubs often have managerial successors lined up before the incumbent has been dismissed. “It is naive to think that clubs are not looking at their options,” Cook said. “Of course they are. Do we think that Liverpool just talked to Klinsmann? I am sure they also spoke to others, and I have no doubt that Roberto Mancini was one of them. Of course he would have been.”

Shortly after talks were held with Klinsmann, in November 2007, Tom Hicks, the Liverpool co-owner, confessed that an approach had been made to the German but said it was only as a contingency in case Benítez left the club to join Real Madrid.

At the time, Liverpool were not linked with any other manager nor was there any evidence that they had launched a recruitment offensive, with agents employed to sound out potential successors to the Spaniard.

Benítez will also see Cook’s comments as an unnecessary distraction as he attempts to reinvigorate Liverpool’s flagging fortunes. However, one issue that he believes will right itself is the form of Steven Gerrard, which Benítez insists will improve as his captain’s fitness levels increase, enabling him to play and train more regularly.

Given the performance of Benitez recently I would be surprised if we were not talking to potential replacements including Dumb and Dumber (Barnes and McAteer) who frankly couldn't do much worse !!!!!!!!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am

LFC2007 wrote:

I think the headline is quite misleading if it is based on those two quotes.

Seems to me that Cook is speculating as to what big clubs tend to do; making enquiries about the availability of the top managers regardless of whether there's a man still at the helm.
I think it's without class though that he couldn't just defend City's decision with his own justifications rather than deflecting attention by citing G&H's approach to Klinsmann. As if that fiasco is an exemplar ffs.

Absolutely. Nothing story.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:51 am

It's a nothing story but I said much the same about the scandal of the Americans talking to Klinsmann. At the time of that one, Rafa was openly being courted by Real Madrid so it was only natural that a business which is sensibly run would consider it's options. I would be absolutely staggered if nobody from Liverpool has spoken to other managers or their agents through this current bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip we are having. I would even go as far as saying that if they haven't, they should be sacked for gross negligence.

Man City will definately have spoken to Mourinho first. The fact he didn't go there can only mean one of two things IMHO, he's either coming to us next season or Man Utd.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:20 am

fact is that only an idiot wouldn't look at possible replacements with Liverpools current run of results. Benitez could walk out & we'd be left with no plan b. I bet even manure have a plan B as no one knows whats around the corner.
spion

Postby andy_g » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:55 am

bigmick wrote:Man City will definately have spoken to Mourinho first. The fact he didn't go there can only mean one of two things IMHO, he's either coming to us next season or Man Utd.

or staying at inter. lets not count that one out just yet.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:43 am

Mancini has reportedly said he never spoke to Liverpool which doesn't makes Garry Cook more and more like Garry Cock. He claimed there were "no conspiracy theories", not quite what he meant
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion