Rodgers SACKED

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Interesting piece just published by James Pearce of the Echho

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/li ... s-10193967

Liverpool FC: how Brendan Rodgers' sacking unfolded today

James Pearce on how FSG ended the manager's tenure in transatlantic phone call before face-to-face meeting

Brendan Rodgers was sacked an hour after Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Everton at Goodison.

The news that the Northern Irishman was dreading was delivered by Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon in a transatlantic phone call after Rodgers had got off the team coach at Melwood.

Chief executive Ian Ayre then explained the decision in person with Anfield chiefs saying the devastated 42-year-old showed “incredible dignity”.

Rodgers was told that FSG’s faith had been eroded by a succession of mediocre performances which had resulted in the Reds collecting just 12 points from eight matches this season.

The owners believe a new manager would get more out of an under-achieving squad which was bolstered with £80million worth of signings this summer. They felt they needed to act now in order to salvage a season which they feared was going off the rails.

The decision was taken before Sunday’s Merseyside derby and not even victory over the Blues would have saved him.

For now, Rodgers’ backroom staff of Sean O’Driscoll, Gary McAllister and Pep Linders remain on the payroll. O’Driscoll and McAllister are expected to take training at Melwood this week for those players who haven’t gone away on international duty.

Liverpool are adamant that will be no imminent announcement over Rodgers’ successor. Jurgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti are the two clear frontrunners but FSG insist they will only start making approaches over the coming days.

The plan is to have the new manager in place for Liverpool’s next game away to Tottenham on October 17.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Let's be honest,  he has been a dead man walking since the West Ham and Utd games. He had looked like a rabbit caught in front of the headlights since then and looked like he was wasn't sure of his own methods. This job came far too early for Rodgers.

He never really had any track record or pedigree to talk of before joining us and it was a massive risk which ultimately has not paid off.

I.have serious doubts as to whether FSG are the right people to take ua forward.  IMO our ceiling under them is not going to make us challengers under their reign
Doeboy

Postby Redtribe » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Must admit I'm quite shocked this happened so early in the season. I thought he would go till Christmas! But I guess this shows intent from the owners which is no bad thing!
I would like to say thanks for that almost year, and for some of the best footie I've seen us play for a long time! He lost his way here, I wish him all the best for his future...

Anchelloti please!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:45 pm

[quote=

Stop being so fecking miserable. Some people need to go see a shrink, they're clinically depressed.[/quote]

Honestly not miserable. I genuinely don't believe that they are in it for the long haul that's all. I think they have an exit strategy tied to the stand extension and current performance a) won't fill it, b) won't make the club an attractive sale....
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:48 pm

[quote=
er bull. if they had given up on the club theres no way would that have spent so much money in the summer.[/quote]

I've no proof and you're entitled to the opinion. Net spend was no particularly high as it hasn't been in past seasons as well...club has to look like it is still an active entity as well. If they're not seen to be investing and thus interested, they definitely won't get the price they're looking for. Time will tell.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Doeboy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 pm wrote:I.have serious doubts as to whether FSG are the right people to take ua forward.  IMO our ceiling under them is not going to make us challengers under their reign

Carra was right on Sky Sports tonight about them...most decisions have been disastrous until now. I've been the biggest optimist, supporting them and BR (genuinely feel sorry for the bloke), but it's plain to see now that current strategy hasn't/isn't/(i think) won't work. Really hope that they change tack with whoever they bring in. With Klopp or Ancelotti we stand a chance....if Frank de Boer comes in, he'll be under the same constraints as BR imho
Homebooby

Postby kazza » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 pm

andy_g » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:17 pm wrote:just got back from a lovely day in the moutains and didn't even know the score of the derby... let alone this bombshell. there was a feeling of inevitability about it but i never expected it so soon. kudos to the owners for being so decisive. and kudos to the members of this forum, including some of the most vociferous of the bodgers out brigade, for their restraint and dignity on this thread.

as yacka said, there is a certain amount of regret. when he came in he seemed like such a good fit, and whether it was down to him, or suarez, or whoever, we did indeed see some truly scintillating football under his stewardship. however at the end of the day the fact that he'd lost his way is indisputable. the solid philosophy he'd always talked up never seemed to materialse again, or even be in danger of materialising.

if its true that ancelloti is coming in then i think we're good. i think he'll be reforming the squad again over new year and the summer and i'd guess the owners will be prepared to back him. i also hope he is able to cut their loans short and bring illori and markovic back into the squad - (is that possible in january?).

onwards and upwards, kidders

+1

I just wish they did it in the summer as sacking a manager mid season is not the Liverpool way, it smells of a knee-jerk reaction. I just hope the next manager that comes in is in it for the long haul as that is what we need being such a young squad. Going to be interesting times ahead.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:11 pm

As much as I love to see him gone it really doesnt make sense to sack him after 8 matches when FSG backed him during the summer. They should have sacked him then and given the money to a new manager if they didnt have any faith in him.

Good riddance to the Shiny Tooth.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:20 pm

kazza » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:51 pm wrote:
andy_g » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:17 pm wrote:just got back from a lovely day in the moutains and didn't even know the score of the derby... let alone this bombshell. there was a feeling of inevitability about it but i never expected it so soon. kudos to the owners for being so decisive. and kudos to the members of this forum, including some of the most vociferous of the bodgers out brigade, for their restraint and dignity on this thread.

as yacka said, there is a certain amount of regret. when he came in he seemed like such a good fit, and whether it was down to him, or suarez, or whoever, we did indeed see some truly scintillating football under his stewardship. however at the end of the day the fact that he'd lost his way is indisputable. the solid philosophy he'd always talked up never seemed to materialse again, or even be in danger of materialising.

if its true that ancelloti is coming in then i think we're good. i think he'll be reforming the squad again over new year and the summer and i'd guess the owners will be prepared to back him. i also hope he is able to cut their loans short and bring illori and markovic back into the squad - (is that possible in january?).

onwards and upwards, kidders

+1

I just wish they did it in the summer as sacking a manager mid season is not the Liverpool way

I'm starting to think that they tried, but their first choice wasn't available. For all we know, they offered it to Klopp or Ancelloti and were knocked back. Perhaps one of them has changed their mind?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Been end of life care for Rodgers for weeks just trudging day to day and game to game waiting for him to go.

The players knew it too even if Rodgers seemed arrogant enough not to imagine that it wasnt just fans moaning on social media and there was a genuine threat to his job.

Its always the same though in that one thing sacking a guy but imperative you get the replacement right and anything but Klopp would be a mistake.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:34 pm

lakes10 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:51 pm wrote:I think its wrong, if they were going to sack him them they should of done it in the summer and not after 8 games after letting him spend all that money and key players out.

Klopp, well you know my views on him, he will have a shock on a cold sunday morning at an fa cup away game at East Thurrock FC and Tilbury town .

Yeah well Rodgers hasn't exactly covered himself in glory against lowly opposition either has he ?. T
he man might not be a success here if he gets the job but he is more than qualified to have a go. He has won 2 bundesliga titles, 2 Cups and brought them to a CL final. He got his break with dortmund after guiding his first club to the top level in germany for the first time in their history. He has progressed in his last 2 jobs and no reason why he can't here if he is successful in getting the job.

A very large part of the mess we are in is due to appointing rodgers in the first place. A manager who had and still has done absolutely nothing of note in the game except talk like he had. Klopp hands down is an improvement  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Never like seeing any Liverpool manager sacked especially during the season.
However there was certain degree of when rather then if as the so close yet so far Suarez season seemed like eons ago.

Like others rather surprised by the timing and hoping its a sign that the owners already have a quality replacement lined up
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:42 pm

The biggest trap at Liverpool is collecting average players on an industrial scale and Rodgers like many before ended up falling for it.

If I had one piece of advice for the next manager it would be quality over quantity and never but a player that is no better than anybody currently in your best 11 on paper.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:52 pm

I wonder has sunderland been on the phone to him yet
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:53 pm

James Pearce is saying the owners are going to offer the job to Klopp within the next few days, they want a new manager in place before we play Spurs in a fortnight.
Feel sad for Brendan but I have to admit a potential LFC/Klopp link up is an exciting prospect.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion