Postby RedBlood » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:01 am

GYBS wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:I want Keane to wear 10 and David Silva to wear 7

i second that notion  :buttrock

:bowdown
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:26 am

Kharhaz wrote:Good signing but I thought the initial reports of £20 million were daft, to find we have paid a little over that is just ridiculous. I welcome the player, without a doubt he will improve the team but worth 20 million? 10 million too much for me.

If he help us mount a proper challenge on the prem then he's worth every penny surely mate. If Villa is valued at about 30m then 18 rising to 20/21 depending on what we win is about right IMO, inter paid 13 for him years ago and he's a better player now.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:38 am

Rush Job wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Good signing but I thought the initial reports of £20 million were daft, to find we have paid a little over that is just ridiculous. I welcome the player, without a doubt he will improve the team but worth 20 million? 10 million too much for me.

If he help us mount a proper challenge on the prem then he's worth every penny surely mate. If Villa is valued at about 30m then 18 rising to 20/21 depending on what we win is about right IMO, inter paid 13 for him years ago and he's a better player now.

He will improve our forward options, but in himself he is not worth £20 million. If this is the price rafa is willing to pay for the players he has been linked with then in a way I hope the board have no other money to give. Rafa is looking at good players but he is paying daft money. Id rather the club not submit to such ridiculous offers. Im pleased with us not paying over the odds for barry but we have paid over the odds for keane. I'll support the club as I always have done, but im not filled with confidence for the new season.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:44 am

LFC2007 wrote:
bigmick wrote:I seem to remember a big "unproven" discussion about Keane LFC, which of course at the level he's now at, he is. Obviously we're all hoping he will now prove himself now he's here in spades, and I just wonder whether people consider we've actually had to pay a "proven" price as opposed to a "prospect" one. It's hard for instance to imagine him having a good eighteen months and someone offering us a profit on what we've paid, although in the present market you can never be certain of course.

Certainly when you look at the sort of fee Fulham are looking to pay for Andy Johnson, who while being IMHO a good player is not to be mentioned in the same breath as Keane, it puts the fee into sharper focus. Compared to that one we've got a bargain IMHO. Similary if we're doing comparisons, we've paid around twice as much as we got for Crouch. Given the fact that Crouch didn't play over much, it might also be considerd value in that context I suppose.

Anyway, I'm happy. I think he will be well and truly proven this time next year and he'll look cheap. He might just be that guy as well that when you're playing sh!t and drawing 1-1 away at Boltoin with five minutes left who can just find something. Very often that something is not a 25 yarder necessarily, it could be a corner won from harrying the full-back, or a free kick gained through persistance which results in a goal. He's a footballer who appears to love the game, who has that dynamic enthusiasm for it, that infectious up and at em spirit. I'm happy, and as we all know it's not often I say that these days   :D

Yes, he's proven to a certain extent, but until he's played - and given a fair enough crack at it - with us, I can't say he's proven at the top level. Just being there isn't enough. I don't think players like David Villa or Sergio Aguero would've been any more a gamble, or indeed 'prospects', although Aguero is fairly young he's already top class. Perhaps you could say they would've needed to get used to England and playing in England, but there's no reason why that should take a long time - as Torres has proven. Quality and a burning desire to succeed usually equal success. That is why - If we had the money, I've no doubt we'd have been going for Villa. I don't think Keane is on the same level as the aforementioned two, but he's about as good as you can get outside the top four. Suffice to say I think there is some value in the fact that; i) he's very experienced in the Premier League, ii) he's mates with a few of the team, and iii) he's known for having a great enthusiasm for the game. That definitely counts in my book.

I think it helps you adapt if you are fast and a big strapping 6 footer like Torres as well though. Aguero is quick but very small,...... I agree he is on a different level to Keane and in a couple of years the gap will have grown even larger, but he may have taken a while to come to terms with the prem.

Whether Rafa has still got a couple of years to wait for players to adapt is also relevant. He must realise that the clock is ticking for him.

Gerrard must also be getting more impatient as each year goes by, and obviously wants players in that can win the title NOW not 2 or 3 years down the line when his powers may be on the wain

I think we have been raped on the price tbh, I would have said he was more of a £12/15million pound player (worth slightly more than Barry) but the English market seems to have gone crazy this summer.

Keane was never near the top of my list of most wanted, but I can see the reasons and motivations behind the deal and think he is a good "safe" bet to succeed in much the similar way to Barry.

I think Rafa believes, like some of us, that we wern't that far away from a title challenge last season, and that the introduction of a couple of good experienced prem players, may just be enough to sort out our erratic away form and give us that final push towards a title challenge.

Heres hoping anyway. I still feel we may need one more player such as Van der Vaart or Arshavin even if the Barry deal is eventually resolved in our favour, if we are to go all the way.

As for Villa I don't think he has a burning desire to succeed in England and would in all likelyhood be coming just for the money anyway. ( :D )
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:58 am

redrover wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:In fairness, it must be hard for any British Isles player to be enthusiastic about playing for their national team, because they are all so :censored:, especially England, because they come with the most hype.

oi manhattan we're not part of the british isles dont be getting us mixed up with that rabble up north  :D

Oi, less of that sh*t.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:21 am

Hey I was wondering when the official price tags are released (or if they ever are).  Are these prices just whatever some paper has printed or what?

Oh and Saint, that Torres gif in your sig is brilliant :bowdown
Last edited by Espionage on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:29 am

Sometimes the price is never disclosed, other times one or other of the clubs discloses the price. Unfortunately the club accounts doesn't disclose individual transfers, just the total spent.

I think that clubs that are floated on the stockmarket may have a legal responsibility to disclose transfer deals but we don't.

I would think Spurs have broadcast the fee in this case, as Levy seemed quite happy with the price, just p!ssed at the way we did business.

"I have already made my opinion clear on the nature of this transaction. I don't regard it as a transfer deal - that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade - this is very much an enforced sale, for which we have agreed a sum of £19m as compensation plus a potential further £1.3m in additional compensation."- Levy

Thanks Espionage  :)
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:19 am

I'm very happy with this signing. To me, he's a smart player with good techniques, very high work rate and a team player. What else a manager can ask for. I'm sure he would easily justify his price tag, sooner than later.
whylongball?

Postby SupitsJonF » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:29 am

I wonder how Gerrard feels.  He publicly said he wanted the team to sign Barry, and we tried but failed in the end.  It is said because his price tag was too high, but so was Keanes.  I hope there is no bad blood between Gerrard and management, would not be good for business.

Why isn't Fernando publicly saying he wants David Villa to join, or commenting his facebook everyday  :D
SupitsJonF

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:43 am

oi manhattan we're not part of the british isles dont be getting us mixed up with that rabble up north 

"British Isles" is a geographic term, not a political one.

It doesn't mean the Irish republic has anything to do with the British state.

Just like the term "North America" doesn't mean that Canada (which is part of North America) belongs to the United States of America.

As for Keane and indeed Barry, while the Barry deal is long and drawn out and has made headlines due to O'Neill's absurd public hysteria, I think both signings are strong indications that Rafa is placing a priority on the Premiership. Both very experienced Prem players. They'll add some much needed steel to the squad. I don't see teams like Everscum and Blackburn kicking those guys off the field.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:18 am

good signing... now I just hope that he doesn't end up like his no.7 predecessor... didn't we have similar high hopes when we signed kewell only for him to disappoint us again and again? I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope that keane would come good for us and play his best football with us...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cpc4eva » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:22 am

anyone got a pic of Keane in a red shirt yet ??
cpc4eva

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:59 am

Good signing. Clever, hard working player..... should do well for us.

Good luck Robbie.

Made up.
ConnO'var

Postby skatesy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:34 am

cpc4eva wrote:anyone got a pic of Keane in a red shirt yet ??

I figure that the official unveiling of Keane as a Red will not happen until later on Tuesday. So then we will see him in the shirt.
skatesy

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 am

A Good signing who should do well for us. He will add some much needed quality upfront, with the price paid for him I hope some dont expect a 'Torres' season from him. If he does have an outstanding season all the more better, but I hope some people wont get on his back if he doesnt.

Whats good about him  IMO is that he can partner Torres or even play behind him slightly, he has the nouse in which to do this and hopefully he'll add another dimension to our play.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion