Regardless of who is manager next season, - How good is the squad of players?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:58 pm

I'd rate the squad like this:

Reina - 9
Itjande - 5

Finnan - 5
Arbeloa - 6
Carragher - 5
Hyypia - 2
Skrtel - looks promising maybe 6-7
Riise - 4
Aurelio - 5
Agger - 7/8

Pennant - 5/4
Gerrard - 8
Alonso - 8
Lucas - 6/7
Mascherano - 9
Kewell - 1/2
Babel - 7/6
Benayoun - 6

Voronin - 2
Crouch - 4
Torres - 8
Kuit - 3

All players with retings below 6 should go (except the reserve goalie and Carragher).
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:01 pm

banana wrote:I'd rate the squad like this:

Reina - 9
Itjande - 5

Finnan - 5
Arbeloa - 6
Carragher - 5
Hyypia - 2
Riise - 4
Aurelio - 5
Agger - 7/8

Pennant - 5/4
Gerrard - 8
Alonso - 8
Lucas - 6/7
Mascherano - 9
Kewell - 1/2
Babel - 7/6
Benayoun - 6

Voronin - 2
Crouch - 4
Torres - 8
Kuit - 3

All players with retings below 6 should go (except the reserve goalie and Carragher).

You rate Carragher and Finnan as no better than Itandje? :laugh:

As a once famous poster told you many times, get a clue lad :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:07 pm

john craig wrote:
banana wrote:I'd rate the squad like this:

Reina - 9
Itjande - 5

Finnan - 5
Arbeloa - 6
Carragher - 5
Hyypia - 2
Riise - 4
Aurelio - 5
Agger - 7/8

Pennant - 5/4
Gerrard - 8
Alonso - 8
Lucas - 6/7
Mascherano - 9
Kewell - 1/2
Babel - 7/6
Benayoun - 6

Voronin - 2
Crouch - 4
Torres - 8
Kuit - 3

You rate Carragher and Finnan as no better than Itandje? :laugh:

As a once famous poster told you many times, get a clue lad :laugh:

Yes I do.

Last year I'd rate Finnan as a 6. But he is aging and his quality has dropped a lot lately. Next season his lever will drop further.

Carragher became exposed at right back because he lacked skills on the ball and pace. This year playing alongside Hyypia his form has been miserable. His passing and creativity has been a big disappointement. If he is put next to a better defender with skills like Agger he may regain his form. That is why I think he should be kept.

I honestly believe our lack of pace and skills on the ball in the back 4 has been a very important factor behind our disappointing season. It is not just the strikers fault.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Probably I'd be most in agreement with Bigmick's original assessment of the squad in this thread.  My take on the squad is:

Goalkeepers: 

Reina is top quality and in the top half dozen keepers in the world imo.  He's also young and will get even better.  Carson is overrated and I'd sell him to the highest bidder before other clubs start to realise that he's not as good as his hype suggests.  Itandje looks awful, very jittery and trys to save too many shots with his legs.  Decision making also suspect.  Agree with Mick - I'd like to see a half decent number 2 brought in, although this isn't a priority right now.

Defenders:

Carragher and Agger will most likely be 1st choice next season in the middle with Skrtel as back-up.  I don't see any reason why Sami couldn't stay on for one more year either, I think he's up to it.  But if for whatever reason he moves on then I think Hobbs is ok as 4th choice.  Aurelio I don't rate and I'd move on.  Arbeloa is good and versatile and Finnan still has another year in him.  Riise could be the one to go, but personally I'd keep him as he's come through dodgy patches before.  Insua could be ready for a few 1st team games next year.  If we had the chance to sign a top quality attacking full back then that would benefit us, but again wouldn't be my top priority signing.

Midfield:

Gerrard and Mascherano are looking good together.  Lucas looks decent back-up.  Don't know what's wrong with Alonso but may be time to move him on, hasn't been at his best for a few seasons now.  However I'd only sell him if we had a top quality replacement lined up and again this is an area I wouldn't be in a major hurry to change unless pushed.

Out wide Babel has great potential and I can see him coming into his own next season.  Kewell should go as his body's no longer up to it.  Benayoun I'd keep, but Pennant I don't rate that highly and I'd sell him this summer.  A quality winger is a priority this summer (as it has been for the last 3 summers), and I'd like Bentley.

Strikers:

Torres is obviously quality but needs a decent partner.  Crouch is ok back-up.  Kuyt needs to be sold, as does Voronin.  I'd go all-out and buy a top striker or 2nd striker this summer.  We should consider Diego/Modric/Aguero as realistic targets.  If we're lucky and the Americans sanction it, Villa or Eto'o may not be beyond the realms of possibility.  I'd also closely monitor the Ronaldinho situation (don't laugh).  I think he could be available in the summer and whether he's slightly past it or not, he'd still be a top signing.  Can't see him realistically wanting to come, but stranger things have happened - I never thought Torres would come here. 

On a slightly different note, Nemeth should be in the 1st team squad next year, I think this lad will be quality.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:30 am

Agreed about Nemeth I think he should make an appearence alongside Torres next season!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:38 am

banana wrote:Kewell - 1/2

A half for Kewell, that is more like it.   :laugh:

JC deserves more.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liado » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:21 pm

I feel the impression(only a very personal opinion when he is interviewed by Spanish media) that if Rafa stays is going to push Valencia to bring Villa(a bad season, and he is really fed up)or Silva .In Valencia everything is a hudge muddle at this moment and I suspect at least one of them is leaving mestalla next season.Real Madrid will be a problem to bring villa, I am absolutely certain They have been talking to him.
My personnal taste is Silva although in the premier I guess he will be beaten to pulp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot4VKp1d7GQ
liado

Postby VamosRafa » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:15 pm

I'd like to think were only 3 players away from a squad good enough to challenge. A left back (better than riise/aurelio), left winger (10m) and supporting striker (15m). Does anyone think insua is good enough to make LB his own? I watched the reserves against manu last nite, he looked good, but hows he done over the course the season?
VamosRafa

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:00 pm

Personally, I don't think that the squad is that far off the pace that we need 5 new players or such. The key, I think is utilising the players we have, in ways that suit the team. Of the current squad, I would personally utilise a different system.... If we persist in a 4-4-2, we are about 5 players short.... agree with Bob 100%. Plus we will have issues with "benching" the quality players we currently DO have.

As such I would suggest that we go for a 5-3-2 with 2 genuine quality wingbacks and either a creative striker (to play behind Torres) or a hulking, great, big, strong centre forward with good ability in the air and capable of hold-up play (for Torres to play off).

Reina

Skrtel    Carra    Agger
new wingback                               new wingback

Alonso Gerrard Mascherano

Torres   New Striker

We'd still have a pretty good selection for the bench to back up

1. Lucas
2. Babel (until he's ready even though I still have my doubts about the lad)
3. Hyypia
4. Arbeloa
5. Finnan
6. Riise
7. Benayoun (though I think he'll be on his way if DIC takes over)
8. Aurelio

We'll need a new back-up GK coz Intandje just can't hack it, IMO.
Promote El-Zhar if he's ready, else, get a couple of free transfer strikers of repute.

Pennant, Kewell, Voronin and Kuyt.... we should be rid as I don't think that they are Liverpool standard (Based on current form and not on past history)
Crouch,with deepest regret,  unless he's content with being a 3rd choice striker, needs to be sold at a profit.

I know that 5-3-2 is a rather archaic system and not many use it these days but if properly set-up, it can be devastating in attack and suffocating in defense.

Question really is, who do we get to fill in the gaps?
It's no secret that I really rate Alves and IMO we should move heaven and earth to get him signed up for the RwB position.
The LwB is a real problem as there seems to be dearth of quality in this position right now.... Philipp Lahm and Gianluca Zambrotta are the only real candidates but I would prefer the german as he is younger.
Upfront, I'm not so sure as I simply do not know enough about what's available in other leagues. The ideal fit for me would be a Tevez or Keane or Carew or Santa Cruz type player.

So to summarize, the squad is good enough to challenge and come close but we need the finishing touches to take us to the next level. 3 players ought to do it.
I prefer 2 wingbacks as opposed to 2 wingers as I feel that they tend to be more reliable and are easier to find than true quality wingers who are usually rarer and more expensive.
ConnO'var

Postby whylongball? » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:00 am

less quantity more quality = less rotation more wins
whylongball?

Postby Foximus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:53 am

ConnO'var wrote:Personally, I don't think that the squad is that far off the pace that we need 5 new players or such. The key, I think is utilising the players we have, in ways that suit the team. Of the current squad, I would personally utilise a different system.... If we persist in a 4-4-2, we are about 5 players short.... agree with Bob 100%. Plus we will have issues with "benching" the quality players we currently DO have.

As such I would suggest that we go for a 5-3-2 with 2 genuine quality wingbacks and either a creative striker (to play behind Torres) or a hulking, great, big, strong centre forward with good ability in the air and capable of hold-up play (for Torres to play off).

Reina

Skrtel    Carra    Agger

Torres   New Striker

1. Lucas
3. Hyypia
4. Arbeloa
5. Finnan
6. Riise
8. Aurelio

Promote El-Zhar if he's ready, else, get a couple of free transfer strikers of repute.

Pennant, Kewell, Voronin and Kuyt.... we should be rid as I don't think that they are Liverpool standard (Based on current form and not on past history)
Crouch,with deepest regret,  unless he's content with being a 3rd choice striker, needs to be sold at a profit.

I know that 5-3-2 is a rather archaic system and not many use it these days but if properly set-up, it can be devastating in attack and suffocating in defense.

It's no secret that I really rate Alves and IMO we should move heaven and earth to get him signed up for the RwB position.
The LwB is a real problem as there seems to be dearth of quality in this position right now.... Philipp Lahm and Gianluca Zambrotta are the only real candidates but I would prefer the german as he is younger.
Upfront, I'm not so sure as I simply do not know enough about what's available in other leagues. The ideal fit for me would be a Tevez or Keane or Carew or Santa Cruz type player.

So to summarize, the squad is good enough to challenge and come close but we need the finishing touches to take us to the next level. 3 players ought to do it.
I prefer 2 wingbacks as opposed to 2 wingers as I feel that they tend to be more reliable and are easier to find than true quality wingers who are usually rarer and more expensive.

I like your ideas and i think that you have chosen the right players to be rid of, however i think this formation is highly unlikely i dont see us buying two new wing backs.
Foximus

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 am

Foximus wrote:I like your ideas and i think that you have chosen the right players to be rid of, however i think this formation is highly unlikely i dont see us buying two new wing backs.

You're probably right...... REAL quality in these 2 positions is absolutely essential for this formation to work well IMO.

Sadly, players of that calibre are few and far between.
ConnO'var

Postby Boocity » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:08 pm

ConnO'var wrote:2. Babel (until he's ready even though I still have my doubts about the lad)

I think you are a bit harsh on him, I believe he will turn out to be an excellent player. His problem at the moment is that he is constantly played out of position, give him the opportunity to play up frnt with Torres and maybe we do not need a new striker.
I think our main priorities is someone who can actually provide regular quality crosses.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Boocity wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:2. Babel (until he's ready even though I still have my doubts about the lad)

I think you are a bit harsh on him, I believe he will turn out to be an excellent player. His problem at the moment is that he is constantly played out of position, give him the opportunity to play up frnt with Torres and maybe we do not need a new striker.
I think our main priorities is someone who can actually provide regular quality crosses.

I probably am Boo......

I'm not questioning his physical abilities or talent.... I think that theres ample evidence to suggest he's got all of that.

Where I'm a little worried is his hunger, attitude and mental agility.... that's one aspect that nobody can help him with.... You can teach knowledge, skill, tactics etc but nobody on earth can teach attitude IMO.

Perhaps he'll be better in these areas once he matures.... and I sincerely hope that he does.

It'll be such a waste of talent if he doesn't.... I've seen too many players fall by the way side because of attitude.
ConnO'var

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Foximus wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:Personally, I don't think that the squad is that far off the pace that we need 5 new players or such. The key, I think is utilising the players we have, in ways that suit the team. Of the current squad, I would personally utilise a different system.... If we persist in a 4-4-2, we are about 5 players short.... agree with Bob 100%. Plus we will have issues with "benching" the quality players we currently DO have.

Reina

Skrtel    Carra    Agger

Torres   New Striker

1. Lucas
3. Hyypia
4. Arbeloa
5. Finnan
6. Riise
8. Aurelio

I like your ideas and i think that you have chosen the right players to be rid of, however i think this formation is highly unlikely i dont see us buying two new wing backs.

3-5-2 just brings back awful memories of a back three of Ruddock, Phil Babb and John Scales with Jason McAteer and Stig Bjornbye as wing backs.

In my opinion in the modern game for Liverpool to play that system they would need wing backs of the highest calibre, such as Daniel Alves and Phillepe Lamb, and both of those players would cost the earth. What is more, neither Jamie Carragher nor Martin Skertel are good enough on the ball for us to truly excel using that formation as the 3 defenders would play more ball in that system than the would in a 4-4-2.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion