Peter crouch un-dropable?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:22 pm

Well I must admit I havent been his biggest fan since he arrived, thats been no secret and he isnt my favourite player I have to be honest.
But I just think he has become so valueable to us maybe the last 9 months and it hurts us when he doesnt play.
He holds the ball up really well, keeps posession for us, keeps the other teams defenders busy.
Tonight a perfect example when MH had a free kick around there penalty area 4 players stayed back and marked Crouch.

I know he lacks pace, I know he will never be a prolific goal scorer, and the long balls to him annoy the hell out of me.
But they are for a reason at the end of the day.
He must be a nightmare to play against defenders must hate playing against him, he delived some great balls to Garcia tonight pity their goalie kept every thing out otherwise Garcia would have got a hatrick.

I know Kuyt has come and he is a sort target man,but he isnt that tall, and Crouch is in form, so he cannot be dropped if he had played against SU on saturday we probably would have won.

I just feel he has become such an important member of our squad that he cannot be dropped, or rotated like Rafa chooses to favour because we miss the big lad when he's not around.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:34 pm

Ciggy wrote:Well I must admit I havent been his biggest fan since he arrived, thats been no secret and he isnt my favourite player I have to be honest.
But I just think he has become so valueable to us maybe the last 9 months and it hurts us when he doesnt play.
He holds the ball up really well, keeps posession for us, keeps the other teams defenders busy.
Tonight a perfect example when MH had a free kick around there penalty area 4 players stayed back and marked Crouch.

I know he lacks pace, I know he will never be a prolific goal scorer, and the long balls to him annoy the hell out of me.
But they are for a reason at the end of the day.
He must be a nightmare to play against defenders must hate playing against him, he delived some great balls to Garcia tonight pity their goalie kept every thing out otherwise Garcia would have got a hatrick.

I know Kuyt has come and he is a sort target man,but he isnt that tall, and Crouch is in form, so he cannot be dropped if he had played against SU on saturday we probably would have won.

I just feel he has become such an important member of our squad that he cannot be dropped, or rotated like Rafa chooses to favour because we miss the big lad when he's not around.

Good post Ciggy.

Crouch's value to the side has long been a moot point on here, with as many detractors as supporters.

I like the lad. He brings so much to our team - much of it unnoticed by those who dislike him.

I personally wouldn't say he was indespensable, as there are times when he is rendered virtually ineffective as an attacker by an equally lofty defender. (Benfica's Lucio, for example.)

What I would say is that he offers things no other player in England does, and only about 3 in the World do, and that can't be understated. We need him, and are generally a better team with him in it.

I still believe most people's negative opinions are formed as a reaction to his awkward appearance. These people (one of my mates, for a start), are simply too narrow-minded to realise that we have a powerful tool at our disposal, and in the right circumstances - a deadly weapon.

So to all you Crouch-bashers - you must all be short-a*ses, is all I can say!!!!! :D :rasp  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:35 pm

if he keeps on banging them in then the others will have a tough job displacing him, i think crouchy will be even better than last season and hopefully get more goals to fire us to the prem
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby mikopool » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 pm

I never thought I would see a team with Dirk Kuyt, Robbie Fowler, and Craig Bellamy rotating around Peter Crouch, but in all honesty I agree with it, I doubt Rafa will however and unfortunately despite the fact he never seems to do anything and a squad line up with him in it always seems a weak attacking one, wins will be hard to come by without him.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby adamnbarrett » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:39 pm

I do think he holds the ball up really well, keeps posession for us, keeps the other teams defenders busy. He is also extremely good at bringing others into play and laying the ball off. Maybe he hasn't scored as many as people would have liked but he has assisted many. He is a player with a tremendos work rate and he covers alot of blades of grass on the pitch.

He does seem to link up with Garcia very well and I think he could do the same thing with bellamy. It's that little and large partnership up top. It's the intelligent runs of the little man and the awareness of the big man that makes it so effective.

I think he has become a very valuable player for us, his confidence has grown alot and we do not play the same without him. He adds something different to the team. I do agree that maybe things would have been different if he would have played against SU because he would have distracted their defence and allowed Bellamy/Fowler to find space but I still think the main player that would have changed that game was alonso.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MaccaLFC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:41 pm

We now have two wingers who stay wide and cross the ball, that's why it annoys me when Sami smacks one up 60 yards to Crouchy and when he wins the header (or loses it :angry: ) nobody's there to win the 2nd ball. Our centre backs should feed the defensive midfielder/wingers, not just lump it up in one go. I'm sure if you asked the man himself he'd much rather have balls whipped in from out wide than from the other half of the field.

I agree though, he's slowly becoming ever so valuable.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:44 pm

i like the lad and despite what some people think of him if where going to win the league this season then he`ll play i big  :D  part in it.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:48 pm

he scores he does his job and does it well , cant complain
Kopite-Jud

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:48 pm

He's certainly improved a lot since he first arrived at Anfield and without question was a really good buy at 7 million pounds. I've been an advocate from the start but I can understand why he winds people up in the way he plays, he does me sometimes.

I don't know about undroppable because I have a feeling that Rafa has bought Kuyt with the hope that he is Crouch with bells on, but I said at the start of the season that I was confident Crouch would be our top goalscorer and I stand by that if he plays enough games. His goalscoring record since he broke his duck is pretty good and I expect him to comfortably beat last seasons tally and to score regularly this season.

The thing he does provide is the "glue" to make the team work, turning bad balls into good balls/winning free-kicks etc etc. The partnership I would like to see is Crouch and Bellamy as I think that one is a natural. Hopefully Rafa will start with the big fella on saturday and resist the temptation to rotate him, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:48 pm

MaccaLFC wrote:We now have two wingers who stay wide and cross the ball, that's why it annoys me when Sami smacks one up 60 yards to Crouchy and when he wins the header (or loses it :angry: ) nobody's there to win the 2nd ball. Our centre backs should feed the defensive midfielder/wingers, not just lump it up in one go. I'm sure if you asked the man himself he'd much rather have balls whipped in from out wide than from the other half of the field.

Maybe that was the reason Morientes was a failure here aswell?
Even though Gerrard was fantastic out on the right, he is no winger and always enjoyed his freedom to roam in and take goal scoring opportunities himself, maybe Morientes could have been a great forward to us.
Pennant didnt recieve the ball tonight that much TBH, when he did he layed it on for Crouch's goal, but a right winger is something we have been crying out for, for a long time, and this is maybe the reason why Crouch is so good for England because we have quality wingers in the England squad.
Last edited by Ciggy on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Des » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:49 pm

I agree brother, The big lads vital and much more than just a boxman. I was horrified when I heard he was coming, but I cannot believe how good he is on the ball. Sure they all laughed at him at the start but-its all gone quiet over there now.
The wingers are great too -would just love to see Pennant really go at them more with his pace -as we seen earlier he can beat his man. Itll all come together soon ..
IGNORANCE IS BLISS
Des

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:53 pm

all the mancs were laughin at us and sayin to me crouch is cr@p , i was laughin when he scored past them in the fa cup :laugh:
Kopite-Jud

Postby MaccaLFC » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:53 pm

Does anyone else but me think Kuyt & Crouch won't work? I just can't see them playing together, Dirk isn't the fastest of players, and we all know Crouchy isn't. I think the latter needs someone playing off him with a bit of pace, and I also think the former does. If that's the case, it's one or the other, will be interesting to see Kuyt's first few games, then we'll know exactly what type of player he is and who his ideal partner would be.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby Ciggy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:00 am

Dont expect miracles of Kuyt in his first few games anyway, he will be settleing in and overawed by his transition to a BIG club.
Crouch plays really well with Garcia and Gerrard, maybe Rafa has an idea of rotating Crouch and Kuyt?
And he is hoping that Bellamy and Kuyt have a great partnership.
Who knows even Rafa has said he doesnt know yet what his best forward partnership is yet, so we wont know either.
I expect Kuyt will play some part on saturday against the Hammers depending on the scoreline.
One thing Kuyt will bring us is hard work, he will work for everything. Defend, Attack, be in midfield, on the wing on the penalty area thats how I know him, whether Rafa will change his game remains to be seen?

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:01 am

Crouchy just seems to get more and more confident with each game he plays and Rafa's gamble to bring him to the club is now fully justified in my eyes. Im still convinced the lad has to and can improve on a few aspects of his game. 90% of the time he is good and neat in posession but can try too much and get caught out when running with the ball towards goal. He is best when he receives the ball with his back to goal and has good awareness of his team mates. Just for the record thats not a criticism but im sure Rafa has more work to do with the lad because he can really become one hell of a player.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion