Peaking at the wrong time? - How much will we rue our slow start?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:52 pm

Great, great run we're on at the moment, and obviously this is because ingredients such as Reina, Crouch and Sissoko have slotted in so well this season.

Obviously, there's a lot to play for this term, but we all know it's a big ask to bridge the gap to Chelsea when realistically they aren't going to drop that many points. So, automatically you wonder where we're going to be coming into next season.

There's a lot to be excited about - we've been coasting games with arguably the world's finest central midfielder playing out of position; all four of our main strikers are capable of a lot more goals; a good right-sided signing and a new centre-back are inevitable in the next 12 months, etc, etc.

But, will the likes of Hyypia and Hamann still be playing at such a high level come next season? It's only two names out of a team of 11, but they're so influential that I can't help but wonder how straightforward the transition will be once age finally catches up with them.

Obviously the centre of defence is critical, and even now I can't help but be terrified about one of Carra and Sami being out of the side for one game, let alone months at a time. Let's not forget that Hyypia's form was pretty dreadful at the beginning of this season, and although he's turned himself around sensationally since then, the bad spell may have been akin to a glimpse into the future. Arsenal and Man U have had a 'mare trying to establish centre-back partnerships in recent times, and even a big money signing may take a long time to get onto Carra's wavelength. If Rafa doesn't get his man un til summer, the Prem title could've gone in a couple of months if the transition doesn't go well.

As for Hamann, obviously he's no longer an automatic pick, but the sort of cover he provides when he's on the pitch is absolutely priceless. I know we have an embarrassment of riches in the centre of midfield at present, but in every single game that you see opponents marauding forward without him on the pitch, you can see the difference that he'd make. And when he is on the pitch, he goes about his business with such economy and efficiency that he looks undroppable. If the Hamann of August 2006 is not the Hamann of Autumn 2005, we will suffer, make no bones about it.

Age is catching up with these guys, and we may never see their like again.

So yeah, I wonder if we'll look back on the last couple of months and wish that we could've had THIS team playing THIS well at the start of THIS season. It could be years before we have this kind of mix of old and new clicking so well again.

(That said, you know how delighted I'd be if they played on at this level un til they're 40  :D)
ivor_the_injun

Postby mighty mo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:22 pm

doom and gloom merchant,live for now and ride it,have trust in rafa
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:45 pm

Fair post, and it will get tougher next month with matches against Man Utd, Tottenham, Chelsea,etc...

Thankfully the transfer window will be open in a matter of days, and we can go on looking for a center back. We really do need cover for Jamie and Sami who have been excellent.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lionheart » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:50 pm

And Steve Finnan has been a surprise package for me this year. He has taken a step up and cemented his role alongside Sami & Carra. The LB role is still open. A squad player to slot in a relieve in the CB role has to be Rafa's number one goal for the new year T/F window.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:53 pm

harry kewell seems like a new signing this season,he has really stepped up his game and is looking close to the player we saw at leeds
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:55 pm

mighty mo wrote:harry kewell seems like a new signing this season,he has really stepped up his game and is looking close to the player we saw at leeds

Nowhere near what he was at Leeds. Not even close. But an improvement definately.

He's shown recently he deserves a chance. After last season i wasn't willing to give him one and i would have happily drove him out of the club myself.
115-1073096938

Postby metalhead » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:58 pm

He just needs to nick in a few goals to get his confidence back, harry kewell
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 pm

Kewell is improving but as Stu said, he's still a long way off his Leeds best.

A goal might get him going, assuming he stays injury free.

As for peaking early, you got to take the wins when you get them, and this run of ours lately has been a godsend.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby DAV » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:15 pm

no such thing as peeking early in the premiership
dosen't matter when u win
u still get 3 points
we are playing good stuff and getting results and points
thats all any team can do
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:18 pm

All the good teams of the past 10 years have peaked after Christmas and won the league so fingers crossed with the new additions and the rotating of the squad we can keep up the consistantcy :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:12 pm

mighty mo wrote:harry kewell seems like a new signing this season,he has really stepped up his game and is looking close to the player we saw at leeds

I personally think that the LB position is more than ably covered by Riise & a fit Zenden with Warnock coming thorugh the ranks.

By the way congratualtions on the 1000 posts. I know I'll be dedicating my 1000th to the memory of Hillsborough.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:18 pm

I agree Kewell played well against Neverton,and does seem to be making progress.The Harry Kewell at Leeds is way way away yet and Kewell needs to raise his game at least another 40 percent before we see the player we thought we had signed.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:55 pm

unbelievable though that even after 9 wins on the spin, we are still 15 points behind chelski!! (albeit 2 games in hand)
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:44 pm

It's not unbealivable, Chelsea go on runs of winning 15-20 games in a row, they've been doing it in the past 2 years and thats why they're champions.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby primodua » Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:51 pm

players come and go... i don't know about the future.
But i do know that the future starts today..
and today..we are the RED ARMADA...RAFA'S RED ARMADA

COME ON REEEEDDDDDDSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion