When did it start to go wrong 91-2001

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:59 pm

neil wrote:
bigmick wrote:Kenny ...... made some dodgy signings.

David Speedie anyone?

Every manager makes dodgy signings

Souness dismantling the team and boot room started the rot on the pitch and poor club management in terms of stadium development and finance during the early 90s just compounded it all
Last edited by Benny The Noon on Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benny The Noon

Postby Greavesie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:28 pm

erm...Souness...Souness...Souness....Souness...Souness...Souness...Souness
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby redhayesy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:58 pm

neil wrote:
bigmick wrote:Kenny ...... made some dodgy signings.

David Speedie anyone?

b0ll0x mate,david speedie wasn't a dodgy signing at all. were you there on his debut,when he scored against the mancs at their place aswell! it was fecking brilliant,then to surpass that he went & scored 2 against the bitters on his home debut the following week! some still say it was a un-official hat-trick cause molby's shot for the first goal was deflected by speedie,but the great dane claimed it!

their has been dodgy signings over the years i agree,but for me speedie wasn't one them them.

for me the day souness took over as manager,it started to go wrong,not only on the field,but behind the sceens aswell. but for me apart from getting rid of the 'boot room' which is a fact! his worst descision ever was to sell peter beardsley to the bitters for a p1ss take price of 1 million. his descisions in the transfer market were far worse than any other manager for me,he tried to change things to quickly so their was no consistancy,or stability around the club what so ever.

classic examples- he bought torben piecknik & stig- who was a full back btw- & played them together as a centre back partnership,both making their debuts away from home, against aston villa-feck i remember being at that game -we got ripped apart that day & got battered as a result,thanks to his genius tactics & selection.

buying players like mark walters,paul stewart,the 2 above i mentioned etc he caused more dis-ruption the team through changing the way we trained,where we trained etc & then wondered why the team picked up so many injury's in a short space of time! (oh i forgot he changed the diet of the players aswell) which i remember was a concern for the players at the time as well,it was highlighted time & time again that players looked fatigued & lacked stamina etc- this was all part of souness's great master plan for the future though!

for me his reign went on far too long & we didn't recover from the damage he caused for many,many years for me.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 pm

For me, that FA Cup 4-3 semi final defeat against crystal palace started the proper rot. It was then that i started to notice the frailties in our defence and although the personnell have changed we have never been the same.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:25 pm

David moores .

Just a little section from wiki .

He became Chairman on 18 September 1991. He owned 17,850 shares in Liverpool F.C. which represented 51% of the club. His uncle, Sir John Moores, was chairman of Everton, never Liverpool FC, where he was only a small shareholder. John Moores created Littlewoods and made the Moores family one of the wealthiest in the UK. Littlewoods was sold in 2002 for £750m.[2]  The family owned their stake in the club for over 50 years.[3]  However David Moores increasingly sought external investment to help the club develop a new ground, and ended up selling it in 2007 to American investors George Gillet and Tom Hicks in preference to Sheikh Mohammed and DIC. The deal turned sour soon after, and it has been alleged the deal was due to David Moores' own preference to sell to "Westerners". [4]  Moores in a letter to The Times has since admitted that he "hugely regrets" selling to the American duo, and has called on them to step aside, and find a suitable buyer for the club "I call upon them now to stand back, accept their limitations as joint owners, acknowledge their role in the club's current demise, and stand aside, with dignity". [5]

End thread .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:31 pm

You are bang on with the Palace semi final. My thoughts where the same. When that young team came out and blitzed us after the break something died in those 45 mins and after the match you knew it inside. Before that half of football we always had that magic, something extra saw us through but that day we became just another team and havent clawed back since, only perhaps a glimpse, a taste of how it used to be in Istanbul. Its like they gave it back to us just for that night but it was taken away again as soon as we left the stadium.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 pm

RedSi35 wrote:For me, that FA Cup 4-3 semi final defeat against crystal palace started the proper rot. It was then that i started to notice the frailties in our defence and although the personnell have changed we have never been the same.

especially considering we had beaten them 9-0 in the league a week before.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:45 pm

stmichael wrote:
RedSi35 wrote:For me, that FA Cup 4-3 semi final defeat against crystal palace started the proper rot. It was then that i started to notice the frailties in our defence and although the personnell have changed we have never been the same.

Wasnt the 9 nil way back in October  ???
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
stmichael wrote:

yeh that was the home game earlier on in the season , think we did play them the week before and beat them 2-0 at the place i think .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
stmichael wrote:

yeh that was the home game earlier on in the season , think we did play them the week before and beat them 2-0 at the place i think .

The 9 nil was Aldo's last game wasnt it ? came on for rush and scored a pen in front of kop
Benny The Noon

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
stmichael wrote:

The 9 nil was Aldo's last game wasnt it ? came on for rush and scored a pen in front of kop

Yep ,was at that game .Some lad next to me got aldo's right boot when he thew all his gear on the kop . Boss night but sad aswell .
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:13 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
stmichael wrote:

Yep ,was at that game .Some lad next to me got aldo's right boot when he thew all his gear on the kop . Boss night but sad aswell .

wow mate you must have been right in fron of me that night lol.
the game after that was Norwich 0-0

at the timf the 9-0 game i sad we can never play as good as that again, and as  joke i said, all down here from here lads......how bloody right i turned out to be .
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby skellyred71 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:36 pm

laza wrote:1989 was when it all went wrong, after the human horror of Hillsborough and then footballing disaster that was Mitchell Thomas goal to give Gunners the title.
Kenny's sudden departure and the failure of Souness after that we were always on backfoot.
The nineties was decade of denial for me always expecting us to get the title next season
Doesnt seem like yesterday that 4-3 classic against Newcastle with entertaining football of Evans Spice boys.
Like others in their 40s who grew up through 80s its hard to believe its so long ago we last held the Holy Grail

I couldnt agree more, with what you have said its laughable thinking how i thought back when we got beat 2 nil by arsenal, theres always next year!! We got so used to winning i expected us to win the league, fa cup, league cup, european cup, eurovision and the boat race!!! Now what would we all give to win our first premiership title? ???

From 89-91 king kenny was having to deal with his own personal grief and problems, just wish he had been given a sabatical and came back the following season, rather than have souness ripping the club apart and selling his story to the scum!!!

I dont expect us to splash the brewsters this january, believe we will have to wait until the summer and see who our manager is and start from there. I was born in 71 and for the first 21 years of my life nothing but glory now i still believe we will get back to where we belong!!! YNWA JFT96
skellyred71

Postby therocket147 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Buying mediocre players who were not fit or good enough to wear our shirt
therocket147

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:05 pm

laza wrote:1989 was when it all went wrong, after the human horror of Hillsborough and then footballing disaster that was Mitchell Thomas goal to give Gunners the title.
Kenny's sudden departure and the failure of Souness after that we were always on backfoot.
The nineties was decade of denial for me always expecting us to get the title next season
Doesnt seem like yesterday that 4-3 classic against Newcastle with entertaining football of Evans Spice boys.
Like others in their 40s who grew up through 80s its hard to believe its so long ago we last held the Holy Grail

Looking back now it was always going to take something like Hillsborough to stop us. Heysel was a tragedy but only a disaster of the scale of Hillsborough could have changed what would have been inevitable. We were untouchable, especially after Kenny took over. The Dynasty would have continued, except the Gods of football had had enough of us dominating.
If youd have told me in 1990 that we would not win the league again for over two decades Id have laughed my co'ck off and stuck it up your ar'se. How things pan out...
Thommo's perm

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion