A fresh start - Now time for some stability

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 am

Well, I guess that's why we signed all those CMs this summer. :D

I don't know if the Merieles departure can be characterized as a surprise, since the rumours had swirled for the last couple of days but there's no question the 11th hour transfer request came out of the blue.  Well, feck off if you don't want to be here, I say.  Another mercenary in the end so I won't shed any tears.

What strikes me, though, is that his departure, on top of all the deadwood that got shipped out today, means that we basically have built a brand new squad in the past two windows (a few quality stalwarts aside, of course).  By my count, all of Roy's buys are gone and most of Rafa's dregs are out the door too (a few loans notwithstanding).  Make no mistake, this is now Kenny's side to shape and mould and groom for greatness.  And I'm thrilled that he's been given license to do that from the owners and help to make it happen from Damien Comolli.  Hats off gents.

With that said, I hope this spells the start of a much more stable period for the club.  We've got stability in the board room now and stability in the coaching set up.  It's time for some stability on the pitch and in the squad.  Enough with the revolving door we've seen in the past few years.  Enough with  players coming in for a year or two and then moving on.  It's time to build a squad of players that can gel over the long term and return the club to trophy-winning glory.  Lead the way, Kenny.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:58 am

Amen Bob, nothing to add, we gonna rock :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 am

Exciting times indeed Bob.. Despite my disappointment in our transfers overall in the past 6 months (Suarez aside), I think Kenny has what he wanted like you said and now its up to him to work his magic with what he has. The thing is, we have players capable of doing very different things and for me it all comes down to blending their talents and motivating them enough to go out there and show their talents on a consistent basis. Funny enough, our weakest area of the squad is now probably our strongest (defense) while our strongest is now questionable (midfield) but Kenny obviously (hopefully) has a plan for that. My guess is that we'll almost exclusively see a 4-4-2 from now on with Carroll and Suarez working together upfront to try and form a partnership for the long term. The return of Gerrard will be the turning point and will mark the true START of our season imo. Again, it will be interesting to see where he plays especially if Adam impresses until then.

One last thing, a mention of the owners and the good work they've done. From bringing Kenny to providing the funds, probably the catalysts of change and our fresh start. Excellent work so far.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:58 am

hear hear. it's been a phenomenal window. to get an approximated £30m off the wage bill is nothing short of staggering by everyone concerned. comolli has excelled himself.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedAnt » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:12 pm

Nice post Bad Bob. Sums up nicely that LFC are ready to march!  :D
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby CardinalRed » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm

Notr been this excited and full of anticipation in years....... Kudos to John Henry and his team, they've listened to the fans, to respected former players and to knowledgeable onlookers in their quest to build things back up again.
Kenny and Damien have gone for a British nucleus to kickstart things on the pitch, everywhere you look it's all about positivity and optimism with the coaching set-up, young players for the future to watch too....... Jeez I'm gettin' a bit giddy here!!
Bleedin' brilliant......!!!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:47 pm

So going by the Offal, here's our first team.

GK:  Reina, Doni, Jones

RB: Johnson, Kelly, Flanagan

CB: Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Wilson, Wisdom

LB: Enrique, Aurelio, Robinson

Midfield:  Gerrard, Adam, Lucas, Spearing, Shelvey, Coady

Wide Midfielders / Wingers:  Downing, Henderson, Maxi,Sterling, Suso

Forwards:  Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt, Bellamy, Amoo, Eccleston

I think Defense is pretty locked down for the foreseeable future.

Midfiled has lots of options, Kuyt and Bellamy can both play out wide if needed.  Decent options up front.

Overall I really like this group.  I think there is the right mix of youth and experience, playmakers and grafters.  Our bench will be quality with alot of options.  No it may not have 100million worth of strikers to choose from, but it's a good side.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Zidane » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Well said, Bob. :cool:
Zidane

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:12 pm

really looking forward to seeing how we get on this year and with so much of the dross gone we can be hopeful that fsg will add again to the squad in jan if needed.
for the amount of games we will play this year that squad is fine and has plenty of depth which was needed.essentially we could field a whole new team from this time last year and its without doubt stronger as a result.

the only thing that would concern me is when we qualify for the CL will these players be able to handle it on a big european stage?.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Good post Bob, and I think this is just a start of wonderful things that will happen later on, the rebuilding phase hasn't ended, it will take time and hopefully more quality players will coming to us once we qualify for the CL :nod

It is great to see that Comolli/Kenny are also focusing on the academy, let's hope we get new Gerrards, Carraghers and Fowlers in the coming years
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Feel good factor again....
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:32 am

Nice post, its good to see a real upbeat feeling among the fanbase as we seem to be on the cusp of something special after so many false dawns.
At very least its great to see doom and gloom in off season disappearing  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:38 am

LIVERPOOL

In: Stewart Downing (Aston Villa, £20m), Jordan Henderson (Sunderland, £16m), Charlie Adam (Blackpool, £9m), Sebastian Coates (Nacional, £7m), José Enrique (Newcastle, £6m), Lloyd Jones (Plymouth: h, £100,000), Villyan Bijev (California Odyssey), Doni (Roma), Craig Bellamy (Man C).

Out: Raul Meireles (Chelsea, £12m), David N’Gog (Bolton, £4m), Paul Konchesky (Leicester, £1.5m), Daniel Ayala (Norwich, £800,000), Gerardo Bruna (Blackpool, £750,000), Chris Mavinga (Rennes), Nabil El Zhar (Levante), Thomas Ince (Blackpool), Emiliano Insúa (Sporting Lisbon), Milan Jovanovic (Anderlecht), Sotirios Kyrgiakos (Wolfsburg), Christian Poulsen (Evian), Sean Highdale (Vauxhall Motors), Nikola Saric (Hajduk Split).
Loans: Villyan Bijev (F Düsseldorf), Joe Cole (Lille), Stephen Darby (Rochdale), Peter Gulasci (Hull), Martin Hansen (Bradford C).
Released: Jason Banton, Dean Bouzanis, Deale Chamberlain, Karl Clair, Alex Cooper, Steve Irwin.

Verdict: 18 players departed, £30 million saved on wages and plenty of Premier League pedigree in. Kenny Dalglish should be happy.
++

We have the foundations to challenge for top spot within the next 2, max 3 seasons. Kenny will have done his job.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 am

At very least its great to see doom and gloom in off season disappearing

I couldn't believe the $hit I was reading during pre-season, some people went OTT with their moaning and whinging about our pre-season results. Fecking stupid really as they haven't impacted on our start, well possibly the second half against Sunderland when the side seemed to run out of puff.

In conclusion though: Never write off a season based on pre-season results. It's an old motto used by people that have been in the game, watching the game for years and it still rings true today.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:19 am

You are our leader Bam.  :blues:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion