Only need joquin in jan blow the lot we need him

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:49 am

BOODIDDY wrote:joaquin is the man lets break the bank and also get chivu or woodgate.

Woodgate? Are you mental?

If we signed Woodgate we'd look like more muppets than when we let Owen go for 8m with that numpty Nunez in the deal. Madrid would laugh their @rses off!

Joaquin would be an option but i'm not sure we'd break the bank when his only use would be domestically, being cup-tied.

Be interesting how the signings pan out, if their are any - lets be honest we all never thought pre-season that Crouch would be our last signing, did we?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:59 am

Joaquin is a big talent and im sure his arrival will be more than welcome.

His idol is Figo and he might not be as good as Figo was in his prime but he isnt far behind. Its been his dream to play at Madrid and more so to replace Figo - but if Luxembergo remains coach I dont see it happening as he does not use wide men. I would imagine Luxy is there to stay for a while because he has been given the license to get rid of Solari and Figo (not to forget super expensive Samuel :D) and bring in his own choice of players like Garcia, Ramos (signed with 8 minutes left on the clock) Baptista and Robhino (who would have probably been signed by Madrid anyway) - so im sure if Perez has given him this operating space he will be given time - which means Joaquins move to Madrid is not on, if there ever was a possibility.

This also means Betis will look for an able suitor, they need the money and there’s no doubt they would get the most from their best player in Joaquin - they might not sell him, but given their woeful start to the season; they might just have to and he himself might want to leave.

I think there are 2 possibilities

1 - if they move up the table and are in a good spot by the end of the season (you will not buy in Jan because he is cup tied, and if you are still in the CL then its a waste of money) then they will try and fork out as much $$ as they can. We are not in for him but im sure stories will surface that we have made a 25M offer just so they can get more or a higher amount from the club that is really interested in signing him

2- if they end the season on a low then they will be forced to sell him at a fairly decent amount. they will need the funds to strengthen and get back to that CL spot

--

IMO you should get Simao instead. Joaquin is a good player and is a potential star (if not already) but I just feel with signing a BIG player there is BIG expectation BIG media BIG injury and BIG criticism. It might be worth it, but when you can get a player of the same quality (if not better) at half the price with less media interference and a player with more hunger and one who still has to prove a point in Europe (as he comes from Portugal) then its a better bet any day. Keep an eye out for him tonight against MAnu and you will get a glimpse of what he can do (if he plays and has a good game)

Cheers
Chelsea forever.

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:40 am

Chelsea forever. wrote:but I just feel with signing a BIG player there is BIG expectation BIG media BIG injury and BIG criticism

Its almost like your speaking about Drogba, especially the criticism part

:grinning:
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:46 am

Well thats not entirely true. Drogba was never considerd a BIG player. He had ONE good season with Marsellie and scored 27 (i think) goals.

However yes there was excpectation and massive expectation which was down to the price tag. I am not satisfied and I doubt I will be because by now I know his game and what he is capable of doing, but i cant dispute the fact that he got 16 last season and already has fair bunch this season and if he continues his current form of scoring goals (albeit shinning them in by mistake) im not going to complain.

One more thing about Drogba - i know he has another side to him, one which can make him play really well, but im not sure if i will ever get to see it.
Chelsea forever.

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:56 am

I disagree I think Drogba was definitely considered a big player, considering you paid 24m for him.

I would consider SWP to be a big player along with Essien all of which you paid around 22-24m for. You don't pay that much for an any old player
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:04 pm

Drogba was never considered a BIG player on the World circut - never

SWP is a BIG 'talent' just as Rooney was when Manu payed 30M for him. They were not established Internationals but it was clear both had potential to become World stars - and an English player from an English club is ALWAYS expensive.

Essien IMO is worth every penny and more, I think he will go on to become one of the best players in the World - im sure of it.
Chelsea forever.

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:32 pm

The_Rock wrote:but as we all saw against Betis, he blows hot and cold.

He was practically still injured in that game, he could barely walk the day before. He was not even near 100%.

The first half he was pretty non-existent, but so were pretty much the whole Betis side. When they came out and played in the 2nd half, Joaquin was the instigator of many of their chances.

He'd be an absolutely cracking signing.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:48 pm

If can afford Joaquin AND a CB then we should go for him, we need a RW so why not get one of the best?
AlanHansen

Postby Paul C » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:54 pm

LFC #1 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:but as we all saw against Betis, he blows hot and cold.

He was practically still injured in that game, he could barely walk the day before.

Wow thats a miricle, one day he can hardly walk and the next he's playing in the champ league  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:55 pm

Aleays nice to get some sensible stuff from bigmick.

Spending everything on 1 player is insane. If he is at £ 20 mill. Then let chelsea have him. We cannot a will not buy at insane prices. Getting a centre back and a striker is just as important. Also I don't believe Dudek will bring in a lot of money. Talking about £ 2-3 millions for him is rubbish. Few clubs are able to match his wage demands, and they know we are looking to sell. We would be lucky just to get him off our books. Anything above half a million would be surprising. Mellor may command another half a million. Kirkland can at the earliest be sold next summer and the same goes for Diao. The rest of Houllier's brigade is gone. Vignal and Cheyrou did not bring in a single penny when we got rid of them. We are in a bad bargaining position when we try to offload high wage players with poor skills.

Let Chelsea have Joaquin?

They already have the best defence in the league by a country mile. The worlds best keeper and the worlds best left winger and probably the worlds second best left winger. They have a superb midfield (top 5 in europe maybe) and very good although not the best attack and you want them to have the best right winger in the world.

I'm sorry, but

Crespo
Robben                              Duff
       Lampard        Essien
                Makalele
Del Horno Terry  Gallas  Ferreira
                  Cech

Is near enough unbeatable as it is. With Joaquin in for Duff and another striker you'd be hard pressed to improve that side at all.

If they got Joaquin in then you really would not be able to compete. Its hard enough as it is because they're so strong the smaller teams can't compete in anyway.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:57 pm

I doubt Chelsea would sign him anyway, they have just spalshed out on SWP and have Robben or Duff who can play on the right as well as Joe Cole if need be.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:58 pm

--------------------------REINA----------------------------

FINNAN        CARRAGHER    KING         WARNOCK

ALONSO         SISSOKO

LENNON          GERRARD           GARCIA

MORIENTES

King, long term replacement for Hyppia and Lennon our new right winger (I hope!) yea baby!
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:02 pm

Garcia isn't a left winger though, and Aaron Lennon isn't exaclty an out and out winger either - that team would lack width IMO which is the probelm we've faced for years.

Replace Joaquin for Lennon and you are onto something.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:13 pm

I'm not sure we could get Joaquin for £20m. According to skysports Chelsea tried two massive bids both of which were rejected, obviously now chelsea have gone elsewhere. However Barcelona and Man U were also interested in him. Man U haven't spent much lately and could probabley out bid us as could Barcelona if they're still interested. Then obviously those :censored: at Real might want to get involved.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:16 pm

bigmick wrote:This idea that we spend all of our rumoured war chest on a right-winger, while totally ignoring shortcomings in the squad elsewhere is nonsense to me. If Joaquin really is going to cost 20 million then I would venture that he is out of our price bracket, regardless of how good he is supposed to be. The simple fact is that we need at least one centre back, two if you don't think Traore or Whitbread are up to it (FWIW I think Traore is, Whitbread isn't). We certainly need at least one striker, two if we are going to sell Cisse or if you take the view (I do BTW) that Morientes isn't up to it.
A couple of people on here who really know their stuff reckon that Joaquin is the muts nuts so I'll take it as a given that he is. But blow our entire load on him? can't be done I'm afraid.

You asked for a John Barnes type of player, I  dont want to state thr obvious or anything but thats the price you pay for that type of player nowadays.( Hmmm I just stated the obvious   :D  )

What is the point in spending 13m on a player if he can only be as good as a third of the player whos valued at say 20m ?

On the other hand though I do not believe Rafa will spend that kind of money on one player.
It also wouldnt suprise me to see the Chavs come in and out bid us anyway regardless whether they needed him or not.

I think we need quality over quantity and could hold out for another season for a Ch.
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion