Wind-power - Its how you blow it!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:56 pm

ive read some bizarre articles over the months regarding excuses and mitigating circumstances surrounding poor 'form' etc...but this one deserves a read due to its eccentric overtones...attributing 'Wind' as a pointer to the success of different clubs around the globe...not least the 5 british winners of the European Cup...maybe its down to Baked beans! read on:

Blowing in the wind

Thursday, 21 December 2006

by Paul Simpson

Celtic FC, Manchester United FC, Liverpool FC, Nottingham Forest FC and Aston Villa FC you should be proud, very proud. For in winning the most coveted prize in club football, they have defied the odds and triumphed over mother nature.

Vialli research

The relative underperformance of English clubs in the UEFA Champions League has often been blamed on a gap in technique between the sceptered isle's footballers and players on the continent. The cause, and extent, of that gap have been much debated. But new research suggests the weather, the bane of English life, may be the culprit. OK, other factors have come into play - Jens Lehmann's rush of blood in Paris being just one of many - but research by Gianluca Vialli, who won the UEFA Champions League with Juventus in 1996, suggests that the answer is, as Bob Dylan might say, blowing in the wind.

Training differences

Sounds absurd but Vialli's research, for his new book The Italian Job, found that the real climactic difference between major footballing cities in Italy and England was not rainfall (Milan is wetter than Manchester) or average temperature but average wind speed. The wind in London, Birmingham and Manchester typically blows 50 per cent harder than in Milan, Rome and Turin. Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger told Vialli that the English wind affects everything in football, but especially training. The need to keep players warm means there is little time for improving technique or stopping a training game to highlight a tactical issue or some dodgy running off the ball. For Wenger, the wind affects youngsters too, making them keener to run around than stand still and perfect their volleying or shooting.

Capello agreement

Wenger's views find some support from Fabio Capello who, after trying to train a Scottish youth side in the same way he would usually coach an Italian team, gave up, complaining: "How can you possibly teach anybody anything in those conditions? To me, [the weather] explains why Brazilians are more technical than Europeans and, in Italy, the further south you go, the more technical they are." Anyone who watched Wigan Athletic FC beat Charlton Athletic FC 3-2 this November will agree with Capello and Wenger. Wigan keeper Chris Kirkland was credited with an assist for two of his team's goals but the credit should really have gone to the wind that blew his goal-kicks past Charlton's defence.

Footballing victim

The nations blessed with a lower than normal wind speed - Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Uruguay, Germany, France - have won the FIFA World Cup 17 times while those countries with above average wind speed - England is the main footballing victim - have won it just once. To see the startling coincidence between gentle winds and footballing success for yourself, at http://www.ocean.udel.edu/windpower/ResourceMap/index-world.html.

Wind speed

The case against wind speed is not proven beyond reasonable doubt. But there is enough evidence to show that the effect of climate on football deserves more study. At the moment, the weather is usually discussed - and then only derisorily - whenever an England team fails to deliver at the World Cup finals. But a UEFA study of football injuries, published in November 2004, comparing eleven top European clubs, found that English and Dutch teams suffered 41.8 injuries for every 1,000 hours of play of which 2.0 were major. The comparative figures for Mediterranean teams were 24 and 1.1 respectively.

Environmentally conscious

The good news, for directors of British clubs is that, in an increasingly environmentally conscious age, they are better placed than any other European nation to use wind to power their stadiums. The bad news is that the winds that sweep across Britain from the west now blow stronger and are more likely to trigger storms than they did 50 years ago. And, short of investing in the mother of all windbreaks - or holding their training sessions indoors - there is little anyone in English football can do about it.

A load of hot air...off the scale?  the Beaufort scale yes!  :D  utterly bewildering theory, but does it hold any truth....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby CarlosRocks » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:58 pm

haha.........pure madness...
CarlosRocks

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:42 am

The training issue is valid IMO, Weather affects training no matter what. The World Cup stat is bollox, but the training thing holds sway IMO.

That being said I think the mentality of English coaches (more interested in size and physicality of players), aprticualrly at youth level woudl have a much larger infleucne on the overall technical ability of a player. In Brazil for exampel a lot of youths grow up playing futsal or in small areas in the street. Anyone who has watched professional futsal knows how good your close control, movement in confined spaces, short passing and first touch has to be.   

The wind theory has some validity sure, but no where near as much as youth development IMO.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:38 pm

that is up there with david ike's lizard people :p
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:19 pm

i hate the wind i spend an hour sometimes making my hair look cool then the second i step out the door a big gust of wind blows it out of place. It annoys me :angry:
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby scouser 'til I die » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:21 pm

RedBlood wrote:i hate the wind i spend an hour sometimes making my hair look cool then the second i step out the door a big gust of wind blows it out of place. It annoys me :angry:

Get it all shaved off then  :laugh:

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby Woollyback » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:43 am

it sounds bonkers but it's TRUE. i grew up in a very windy place and any kind of sport was a feckin shambles apart from kite flying obviously. i can personally vouch for how hard footy (never mind tennis  :wwww ) is when it's constantly blowing like feck. i've lived in manchester for a long time now and despite the fact it's a sh1thouse full of  cunts i love the fact that it's hardly EVER windy here. well not by my standards anyway.

try going for a walk on a day like today (about 5c and no wind) and you could walk all day. go for a walk when it's 10c and windy and within 10 minutes you'll be in a foul mood dying to get home (or the boozer)
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:15 pm

i know what you mean. my darts game is shocking when some leaves the door open and the wind blow my arrows all over the board :D
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion