Look like we are in the cl - Bbc: johansson boosts liverpool hopes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Tue May 31, 2005 1:53 am

UEFA SET TO MAKE EARLY DECISION
Paul Eaton 30 May 2005 

UEFA chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson says a decision over whether or not Liverpool will be allowed to defend their Champions League title next season could be made before a scheduled meeting in Manchester on June 17. 
UEFA's executive committee is due to meet next month at which it was assumed they would discuss Liverpool's case, but Olsson has now revealed a decision is likely to be made much earlier.

The Reds have received widespread backing in their bid to play Champions League football next season following their thrilling success over AC Milan in last week's final.

UEFA president Lennart Johansson along with major footballing names such as Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff have added their names to the weight of opinion which now appears to be stacked overwhelmingly in Liverpool's favour.

Olsson said: "We can make a decision before the meeting, because it is important for the clubs playing that they know the conditions.

"We are doing an analysis now and it is complex. There will be an open discussion. It is a welcome debate because there are different views in different countries.

"It cannot be a discussion only about Liverpool. The entire rule has to be discussed."
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spacemonkey » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:10 am

lakes10 wrote:yes i agree with Stu on this one as well, UEFA should have set a rule out for this years ago

There are some clear rules about this situation actually. It basically says if the winner of the CL Cup is not in Top 4 of their league, they won't be able to compete in the next years CL. No more than 4 clubs per country can compete in CL... Now these are some pretty damn clear rules. However, I personally think its unfair for LFC, not to be able to defend the cup title. But it is also unfair for Everton to be kicked out, which I would love it to be happened. Also it would be unfair for other clubs like Fenerbahce SK, the 2nd consecutive year champions of Turkish Super League, to be kicked out of CL...

cheers..
spacemonkey

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 pm

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

'It's too late for Liverpool' - UEFA chief

A UEFA executive committee member believes it is too late to change the rules to accommodate holders Liverpool into next season's Champions League.
Pressure has increased on UEFA in the past week to include the Reds in next season's competition following their stunning penalty shoot-out triumph over AC Milan.

The elite European clubs group, the G14, have added their voice to the clamour while Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson, who is also a UEFA vice-president, has continued lobbying for there to be five English clubs in the Champions League so the Reds can defend their crown.

Liverpool will have to wait for another three weeks before the issue is resolved by UEFA's 15-man executive committee at their meeting in Manchester on June 17.

UEFA president Lennart Johansson is understood to be broadly supportive, and his influence is extremely important though not necessarily decisive.

However, Dr Joseph Mifsud, who has been on the committee since 1994, is a dissenting voice and is unequivocal in his belief the current regulations should be adhered to, which would result in the exclusion of the newly-crowned champions.

Mifsud, who is also the president of the Malta FA, told BBC Radio 5 Live: 'I believe we should follow the rules.

'If the rules permit it it is ok, if the rules do not permit it, no.

'I believe that while the English FA can do something in this regard, I believe as the rules stand at present at UEFA we cannot do anything - unless of course the regulations are changed.

'But I don't agree regulations can be changed midway through the season.

'As far as I can see it is too late.' 
:(
Chelsea forever.

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:51 pm

I think they should give the 4 spots to -

Chelsea - Cauz we are the Champions of England and the mighty blues :D
Liverpool - Cauz you are the Champions of Europe and the true Mighty Reds :D
Everton - cauz they beat the odds and finished 4th

And have a 2 leg playoff between Manure and them goonz just before the League starts so we have some broken bones, tired legs and a shitty team in the grp stages of the CL to be easily knocked out.

-

Or they could just kick arsenal out since they pretty much never make it past the knockout rounds.
Chelsea forever.

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:59 pm

There is an easy solution people. Chelsea are set to be punished for the Cole tapping up issue, so, ban Chelsea from taking part in next seasons Euro.cup and give the place to LFC.

Job sorted, I thank you.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:03 pm

You wish! :p

Seriously though you throughlly deserve to defend your cup and i pray the FA sorts it out and lets all 5 clubs play as simply they cant exclude any of the top 4 and they def. cant exclude the champs.
Chelsea forever.

Postby neilE » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:12 pm

Perhaps we should play Everton in the qualifying round !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not really but at least it would show them who really belongs in the competition...........
neilE

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:29 pm

FA is a disgrace ... The whole board should resign. When Liverpool won the CL , they make England proud ... Even a Queen and the PM were happy after the game because in the final Liverpool represent England, not only Liverpool . Who knows with this win England will host some major events. But is how FA reply to Liverpool ? Let the Champion defend the title , drop Everton to UEFA CUP.

Yes I agree that Everton win 4th spot but they played less games than Liverpool and their last two games were disgrace.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:30 pm

Perhaps we should play Everton in the qualifying round !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agrees ... just like in playoff. Winner takes all
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:33 pm

I am not as confident as most of the people on here about us getting to the CL next year. I mean all UEFA have to do is say "we don't think its fair that England has more than 4 teams like everyone else, so its up to the FA to decide between Liverpool and Everton".

Of course the FA has already (bottled it unlike the spanish FA) decided between us and said they are in favour of the fourth team.

Also if they do decide to change the rules and allow us in we won't be able to play a qualifying match because that happens about 48 hours after the European Super Cup match between us and CSKA Moscow sowe'll have to be put staight into a group. All this seems like a bit more effort than UEFA will be prepared to make.It seems as though most of the people in UEFA who will decide are in favour of changing the rules but not for next season as some team is going to end up p**d off.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby joependo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:23 pm

Why can't we have a play-off final see who gets into the qaulifiers that would be fair and sqaure.The Champions league should be called the european cup because if Real Madrid winv it they can't say they beat the championns,therefore we(Liverpool)are still the champions.
joependo

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:24 pm

Uefa chief dampens Reds Euro hope 

Gerrard (left) and Benitez returned to a hero's welcome
Uefa committee member Dr Joseph Mifsud said rules cannot be changed to allow holders Liverpool to enter next season's Champions League.
Mifsud, president of the Malta FA, has been a committee member since 1994.

"While the English FA can do something in this regard, I believe as the rules stand at present at Uefa we cannot do anything," he told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Unless of course the regulations are changed. But I don't agree they can be changed midway through the season."

Pressure has increased on Uefa in the past week to include the Reds in next season's competition following their dramatic penalty shoot-out triumph over AC Milan.

Liverpool finished fifth in the Premiership, missing out on an automatic qualification for next season's Champions League - and Uefa rules do not allow automatic entry for the competition winners.

English Football Association chairman Geoff Thompson, who is also a Uefa vice-president, has lobbied for five English clubs in next season's tournament.

Liverpool will have to wait another three weeks before the issue is resolved by Uefa's 15-man executive committee at its meeting in Manchester on 17 June.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:38 pm

I'd be all for a play-off with Everton maybe that would stop they're "we're the best team in liverpool" :censored: and whip the smile off that t**t's face on Radio 1 in the morning. He does my head in the little :censored:.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:43 pm

Anfield rapper wrote:I'd be all for a play-off with Everton maybe that would stop they're "we're the best team in liverpool" :censored: and whip the smile off that t**t's face on Radio 1 in the morning. He does my head in the little :censored:.

:censored: hate them bitters mate, had a :censored: nough of them to last me a life time, peoples club my :censored: @rse. :censored: :angry:  :veryangry  there :censored: cr@p aswell, jealous :censored: :shifty
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:55 pm

What I don't understand is ppl sayin England will have 5 clubs in the competition.... after Neverton play their qualifier there'd only be 4 left so where's the problem? Unless they get drawn against some Maltese runners up or somethin daft! And come on, even their run of luck can't last that long surely...... ???
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion