Look like we are in the cl - Bbc: johansson boosts liverpool hopes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:05 am

Uefa president Lennart Johansson has given Liverpool's hopes of defending their Champions League title a boost.
The Swede said that football's European ruling body must make a decision as a "matter of a real urgency".

"The winner should have a chance to defend the title," Johansson told the Sunday Times.

"We must sit down to see if there is a way to make it happen. If there is a rule that harms the tournament, we have to discuss changing the rule."

Following Liverpool's sensational victory over AC Milan in Istanbul, a decision was set to be made when Uefa's executive committee meet in Manchester on 17 June.

However, there is growing sympathy to the Merseyside club's plight and Johansson added that he wanted the matter resolved within the next 10 days.

Uefa chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson confirmed that talks may take place ahead of next month's meeting.

He said: "We will arrange a telephone conference because the urgency of the situation is too important to wait until we could get the full committee together."

The Football Association maintains the clubs that finished in the top four of the Premiership - Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and Everton - were their nominees.

And it was revealed earlier this month that the FA had submitted a written request to Uefa asking for an additional Champions League place if Liverpool won the final, which they then did on penalties.

However, Johansson was critical of the FA's stance, describing the organisation as "not helping find a solution".

But it looks increasibly likely that Rafael Benitez's side will be given a berth in the tournament at the expense of Fenerbahce, who will have to drop into the qualifying competition.

Liverpool will not be asked to pre-qualify, partly because that process clashes with Uefa's showpiece date for the Super Cup match between the Champions League winners and the Uefa victors, CSKA Moscow, in Monaco on 26 August.

Franz Beckenbauer, who is tipped to be the next Uefa president, has given his support to Liverpool's cause.

"Anyone who was in Istanbul knows they saw one of the greatest matches in European Cup history," said the German.

"The champions must always defend their crown. Any problems must be overcome. There is great support for their case.

"If I am asked I will tell Uefa Liverpool should be part of the competition next season.

"How can we turn our backs on them and say 'No, you are not welcome'. It won't be the same if the champions are missing
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun May 29, 2005 11:11 am

Positive. Lets wait until we hear the outcome of their telephone conference or their meeting on June 17th.

I'd rather play Everton, at a neutral venue (I suggest Windsor Park), for the right to contest...... just to see them shiittng themselves :D
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun May 29, 2005 11:20 am

Seems like more and more support is swinging our way, Beckenbauer's statement is  very very encouraging.

I've no doubt they will change the rule and allow the champions to defend their title whatever the circumstances ,just pray the change takes immediate effect and  doesn't start from next season.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun May 29, 2005 11:24 am

Very confident that we could play in the CL next season. Its just the matter of fact where we will enter in. Group phase or qualifying round.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:37 am

Don't count your chickens.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Sun May 29, 2005 11:37 am

we wouldn't have to qualify as the champions are automatically seeded. the most likely outcome is that us and cheatski wouold get the 2 automatic slots and arsenal, scums and bitters have to qualify.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:38 am

i think its got to be the Group phase, i dont think they will take the risk of changing the rules to let us in and when could have the risk of being knocked out before the real thing starts
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:39 am

andy_g wrote:we wouldn't have to qualify as the champions are automatically seeded. the most likely outcome is that us and cheatski wouold get the 2 automatic slots and arsenal, scums and bitters have to qualify.

it would be great if we get put into the group bit and the toff's get knocked out in the qualifying
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun May 29, 2005 11:50 am

Just seen some journalists discussing it on TV , they seem to think we will be in it ,entering at the qualifying stage alongside Everton and Manchester.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Sun May 29, 2005 1:20 pm

I think the english FA is to blame. This did not have to be a problem at all. Why did they change the rules of the game? It's insane. It is common sense that 4th spot should surrender their place if an english team outside top 4 won the prize. But FA has taken the easy way out, and pushed the "problem" over to uefa.

Liverpool has massive support all over, but I think if I was in uefa I would think that the english FA should take responsibility and do the right thing.

Maximum humiliation for english FA if LFC don't get an place and Everton gets knocked immediately.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby gfb06_efe » Sun May 29, 2005 1:28 pm

we wish u will be in the cup cos u must be there your tribuns are the best of the UK we r the best of TURKEY and we want to see u at ISTANBUL again and in KADIKOY SUKRU SARACOGLU STADIUM (WE CALL THERE TEMPLE OF FENERBAHCE FANS)...
EVERYTIME&EVERYWHERE
GENCFENERBAHCELILER
gfb06_efe

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 29, 2005 1:52 pm

I think the english FA is to blame. This did not have to be a problem at all. Why did they change the rules of the game? It's insane. It is common sense that 4th spot should surrender their place if an english team outside top 4 won the prize. But FA has taken the easy way out, and pushed the "problem" over to uefa.

Liverpool has massive support all over, but I think if I was in uefa I would think that the english FA should take responsibility and do the right thing.

Maximum humiliation for english FA if LFC don't get an place and Everton gets knocked immediately.

What is ur problem with anything english?

Its becoming extremely boring.

Its nothing to do with the F.A. Its a UEFA compitition and its UEFA's responsibility to sort the problem one way or another.

The F.A.'s only real :censored: up was backing favourates which led to them not anticipating this situtation. Did you think this would happen at the start of the season? Did you :censored: so don't critisise arsewipe.

UEFA as usual can't make a decision about there own compitition so therefore they're passing the buck onto the F.A. to get them out of the :censored: and stupid moronic fools like yourself can't see that and are spouting off about the F.A.

I myself can't stand the F.A. i think its a bloody joke, but this is not there fault.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Sun May 29, 2005 2:09 pm

agree with Stu on this one. The Italian, Spanish FA's have the same system - top 4 go through. UEFA should have a contingency plan in place for when these sort of events occur.
The FA has had a lot of unnecessary pressure put on them, they shouldn't have to choose one club over the other. The responsibility rests with UEFA.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun May 29, 2005 5:27 pm

yes i agree with Stu on this one as well, UEFA should have set a rule out for this years ago
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 29, 2005 5:47 pm

banana wrote:I think the english FA is to blame. This did not have to be a problem at all. Why did they change the rules of the game? It's insane. It is common sense that 4th spot should surrender their place if an english team outside top 4 won the prize. But FA has taken the easy way out, and pushed the "problem" over to uefa.

Agreed the FA have been unstinting in the there push to reward failure.. and not allow the "winners" to be entered ahead of the fourth placed team.. last year if Chelski or Ar.se had finished outide the top 4 and won it .. we wud have forfeited our position..

the same rule should have applied..

The FA are a bunch of muppets..

UEFA will enter us .. by all accounts.. but the FA's own stance has been diabolical too.. it's typical that the menatality is to not support the winners.. an association used too failure .. can't see winners  :(
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion