LUIS ALBERTO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 am

Lightweight doesn't automatically mean they are small though Woof - it's about strength on the ball . Look at Silva - he is tiny yet his very strong on the ball - Messi is perfect example.

Silva and others like Coutinho have been able to adapt to the physical needs of the prem - they are able to hold the ball in tight spaces when marked closely , they don't need bags of time to pick a pass etc.

Just watching Aspas and Alberto - they look nice and neat when they are allowed time. Apply pressure and i see them struggling.

And decent level - I mean playing in a club with CL ambitions
Benny The Noon

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 am

Lightweight doesn't automatically mean they are small though Woof

Erm...........

It was you who used the term small in conjunction with lightweight Benny, which is why I referenced it.

Also think that playing for a club with CL ambitions is surely playing at a level that deserves a more meritorious  description than just "decent", christ ! in world football terms playing in the premiership for a club with CL ambitions is very nearly as good as it gets.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

I was meaning that it's a cliche term that is normally attached to small players ( but don't agree with that )

Decent level players can play for clubs in the CL.

I would call players like Skrtel , Enrique decent players
Benny The Noon

Postby parchpea » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:03 am

Like Aspas this Alberto has been purchased in an attempt to turn £6m into £20m + and basically hope they are undervalued in the market.

Think you have to give these lads a bit more time but I would have to say neither fill me with any confidence and basically it looks like
we got what we paid for which are two average footballers in Premiership terms.

For comparison we could argue we swapped Shelvey for Alberto and both where valued at a similar price, and personally I would say have
about on the same impact on games just with different attributes.

I can see Alberto sticking around a couple of years to see if he can improve but wouldn't surprise me if Aspas isn't here next season.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:00 pm

Benny The Noon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am wrote:I was meaning that it's a cliche term that is normally attached to small players ( but don't agree with that )

Decent level players can play for clubs in the CL.

I would call players like Skrtel , Enrique decent players

:laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:01 pm

parchpea » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:03 am wrote:Like Aspas this Alberto has been purchased in an attempt to turn £6m into £20m + and basically hope they are undervalued in the market.

Think you have to give these lads a bit more time but I would have to say neither fill me with any confidence and basically it looks like
we got what we paid for which are two average footballers in Premiership terms.

For comparison we could argue we swapped Shelvey for Alberto and both where valued at a similar price, and personally I would say have
about on the same impact on games just with different attributes.

I can see Alberto sticking around a couple of years to see if he can improve but wouldn't surprise me if Aspas isn't here next season.

I'd take Shelv over Alberto any day.

Can't half hit a golf ball too. :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Aspas looked fantastic in pre season but when the pace stepped up in the PL he looks like he has been left wanting. I have not given up on him yet as he may well bulk up a bit and be a success but he will IMHO never be a regular in the starting 11.

Alberto however has something about him. Vision, a good head and more potential. At his age his body has not yet filled out and he could (and I stress could) be a sensation. I am 50/50 but his impact in the Newcastle game has shown that he has the talent, given the time and chance to develop, to be a great player for us.

A cult hero for us is Jari Litmannen, he too was seen as being too light weight for the league but he still made an impact and if he had been younger when he came to us could have bee so much more. At the moment I put Alberto in the same category (in terms of potential).
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 pm

crazyhorse » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm wrote:Aspas looked fantastic in pre season but when the pace stepped up in the PL he looks like he has been left wanting. I have not given up on him yet as he may well bulk up a bit and be a success but he will IMHO never be a regular in the starting 11.

Alberto however has something about him. Vision, a good head and more potential. At his age his body has not yet filled out and he could (and I stress could) be a sensation. I am 50/50 but his impact in the Newcastle game has shown that he has the talent, given the time and chance to develop, to be a great player for us.

A cult hero for us is Jari Litmannen, he too was seen as being too light weight for the league but he still made an impact and if he had been younger when he came to us could have bee so much more. At the moment I put Alberto in the same category (in terms of potential).

Litmanen lightweight?

???

Can't say I've ever heard that one before and can't say its something I agree with either. That lad has class written all over him. Fantastic footballing brain and was an excellent passer of a ball.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:47 am

crazyhorse » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm wrote:

Aged 21 although his talent/potential was recognised many clubs including Barcelona passed on signing Litmanen.  Litmanen was eventually picked up by Ajax and spent most of his first season playing for their reserves.

Sometimes even players as talented as Litmanen need a bit of time to allow their abilities to flourish.

Litmanen lightweight?

???

@Stu
Perhaps lightweight is not the best term to describe him, he was however extremely injury prone, during his time with Ajax his missed 25% of their games through injury, only made 21 appearances in two seasons for Barcelona and during his time with us missed through injury all three of our finals in the Cup treble winning year.

LFC history says " "Litmanen had difficulties in training due to his ankle problems and was hardly able to play for ninety minutes week in and week out".

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 am

If he bulked up a bit, anyone think he could be a good CM?  Pirlo, alonso type CM
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:27 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:47 am wrote:
crazyhorse » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm wrote:

Aged 21 although his talent/potential was recognised many clubs including Barcelona passed on signing Litmanen.  Litmanen was eventually picked up by Ajax and spent most of his first season playing for their reserves.

Sometimes even players as talented as Litmanen need a bit of time to allow their abilities to flourish.

Litmanen lightweight?

???

@Stu
Perhaps lightweight is not the best term to describe him, he was however extremely injury prone, during his time with Ajax his missed 25% of their games through injury, only made 21 appearances in two seasons for Barcelona and during his time with us missed through injury all three of our finals in the Cup treble winning year.

LFC history says " "Litmanen had difficulties in training due to his ankle problems and was hardly able to play for ninety minutes week in and week out".

I'd say thats more of a fair description.

I'd just never heard him called lightweight before.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:02 am

i especially want to comment on alberto here.
he came on on the 77 min.
got 2 key passes (incld one assist for suarez another one for countinho to be shot by sniper),
he got vision and abilities.
will want to see his full debut.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:48 am

I have no complaints about this lad. He is more like the Hamaan type of player and good to see him being the assist in LS's 2nd goal. Hope to see more of him in future.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:23 am

Hops he turns out better than Aspas...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:22 am

Alberto has been played out wide, yet against Spurs he took up a more central position and seemed more comfortable. Maybe the reason we haven't seen the best of him is due to playing position?

An opportunity against Cardiff would test that theory.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion