Next season cl or premier league?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:00 am

Ok so we have quite a big squad, and we are certainly playing as a team and all the players seem to be understanding now what Rafa expects from them.

We are a few players short of being serious contenders for the prem but with additions to the squad in the summer hopefully everything should pan out nicely.

We have one of the best managers around in the world of football, he is a perfectionist, and he wants his team to be immaculate and so do we.

But I feel it will be impossible to concentrate on both the CL and try to win the prem.
We would all love number 6 of course, but we have never won the new premiership we have never had our hands on that trophey, I would like to maybe have a good run in europe for the cash but more than anything would be for us to sweep all away in the prem with sheer hard graft and to repay the manager as I feel this is his next objective.

Its obvious we need a quality CF and this much talked about right sided midfielder. Do people feel two additions to the first team is enough or do any of you think other positions need filling ?

Its funny that recently players have been asking to join us of late Victor, Aguero, Giannakopoulos plus a few more so they can obviously see we are going in the right direction.

Will Rafa give Stelios another chance because he already turned us down once?
He would be nothing more than a squad player anyhow IMO if he was to join.

Will Kromkamp and Zenden stay? Are they good enough? I dont think so, Zendens better in CM than on the left and its a pity we havent benefited from him this season to see what he can offer us.
Kromkamps 25 not to impressed by his performances from what Ive seen TBH another question mark over his head I suppose, cause I cant see him being in the starting 11 every week.

so guys what would you all prefer to try and be title contenders or try and go all the way in Europe again next season?

Cause I just thinks its impossible to compete in the two.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:21 am

Kromkampp hasn't played in his preferred position since his arrival, so that is an unfair statement. And when he has played, he has done well, you have to agree with that Cggy.

Zenden, I don't see much for him seeing as Gonzo and Kewell are coming back to match fitness and are both starting to look sharp again.

As far as choosing between the Prem and the CL, why not go for both? There is nothing stopping us, and if the mentality is right, we could start to pose a real threat both domestically and on the Euro front. Dont discount a push for both titles next season, we could do the double.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:21 am

I would be happy with another year of improvement next year. A nice run in the CL and finishing second prem (while breathing down the neck of 1st). The new players we get, will take time to settle, especially if they are foreign. I think realistically we would have a better chance of winning the CL than the prem.
So I guess my answer is next season the prem would make me the happiest man alive, but so long as there is improvement i will have no complaints (oh yeah and beautiful football).

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:24 am

Frankly speaking, i would like to see us compete for both competitions. Impossible as it seems, but hey, who would believe us if we tell somebody years back that we're going to be The Champions Of Europe in 2005? Maybe, if we stick to rafa's idea of  "i dont want to think about winning this and that, i just want to win the next game", we could achieve our goals....i dunno..hopefully.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:29 am

The holy grail is of course main priority for me, after being spoilt silly during the 80s, its been very long time since we stood on top of the domestic pile and rather not go through another decade before we do it again.
Of course the double would be nice  :D

Kronkramp was a swap for Josemi who was just a squad player himself and in that regard i think Kronkramp is far bigger improvement.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:30 am

Yes but if we finish 3rd we have to go through the qualifiers again, look how many games we have played this season already and its not over yet, next season in the F.A.Cup, Carling Cup, CL, Prem, its an awful lot of games in all competitions.
Look at Arsneal completly the same as us last season and they have an excellent squad.
So it shows you how tough it is to do the two.

And El Stinger do you think Kromkamp will disslodge Finnan? I dont not for a minute mate sorry.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:32 am

Kronkramp doesnt need to dislodge Finnian though , he just has to provide suitable cover if Finnian is injured or needs a breather
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:38 am

laza wrote:Kronkramp doesnt need to dislodge Finnian though , he just has to provide suitable cover if Finnian is injured or needs a breather

I know he wont disslodge Finnan Laza, Im just asking do you think he will ever make the starting lineup on a regular basis? And yes he is much more of an improvement on Josemi that he is.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:45 am

Ciggy wrote:Yes but if we finish 3rd we have to go through the qualifiers again, look how many games we have played this season already and its not over yet, next season in the F.A.Cup, Carling Cup, CL, Prem, its an awful lot of games in all competitions.
Look at Arsneal completly the same as us last season and they have an excellent squad.
So it shows you how tough it is to do the two.

And El Stinger do you think Kromkamp will disslodge Finnan? I dont not for a minute mate sorry.

Not as bad as this year though cos we'll only have 2 games to qualify instead of the 6 we had this year.

I think our main goal has to be a title challenge, and by challenge I mean a consistent league performance all year. IMO if that happens we'll be playing well enough to compete in the champions league effectively. The league must be our priority, thats where the money, respect and ability to attract good players comes from.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:11 am

When talking about what we want to achieve in the next couple of years, it has to be the premiership.  Apart from the fact that we've not won it yet since it's been called the premiership, it's the mark of the most consistent team over the season and therefore the best.

Another CL would be great, but let's face it, it's a complete lottery as all knockout competitions are.  The best team doesn't always win it.  While qualification and progression past the group stages should be achieved every season (for the finances and the fact that European nights are great), winning the CL should be regarded as a bonus rather than an aim.

As far as Zenden and Kromkamp go, they're exactly the type of squad players that we were missing in the Houllier era.  Our squad in those days was made up of dead wood after the starting 11.  Nowadays we have solid players outside the first team who can be relied upon to do a job.  Zenden will be needed as centre mid cover next season imo - if Gerrard's out we have no other player who can play as an attacking centre mid and also I don't expect Didi to play as much next season.  To me, Kromkamp looks a good player.  Contrary to what some people think, I actually think he'll put serious pressure on Finnan for the RB slot next year.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:57 am

Can we not just win both?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aaron » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 am

I wud rather get the first premiership under our belts that way they mite start to flow and we can do well in both competitions :;):
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:18 am

bread and butter
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 am

The Premiership would be sweet but then again, the Champions League is the biggest of them all.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Nothing wrong with having a tilt at both titles . The squad is improving all the time and with a few well chosen additions should challenge well both domestically and in europe .

As for Kronkamp , I like much of what I've seen .I don't expect him to replace Finnan in the short term but despite his great form Finnan is 30 this month. Longer term it's a bonus that we have a player of Kronkamps calibre in the squad ,ready to step up when called upon.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion