Next season cl or premier league?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby el_stinger » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:51 pm

I'm not saying Jan will take Finnan's place at all... However, Finnan's been a consistant player for us on the right for quite a few season's unchallenged. In saying that, cover was needed, hence the swap for Josemi. Jan has been used recently on the wing, and obviously its not his preferred position. Of course he won't tantalise you with his skills on the wing, as he can't always whip the crosses in, take on 2-3 players etc. etc. but he has shown that he is versatile if we need to cover our bases on the right side. No one in their right mind will bench Finnan on this form, not for anyone.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:02 pm

Would definately be the Premiership for me, for 2 reasons.
1, It is the hardest competition to win, where consistency is vital. I dont think we are too far away in terms of consistency tbh.
2. Although we have the record no of league wins we havent actually won that trophy.

Nothing would eclipse the feeling that winning the Champions league last season gave me, but we need to be the best Englisg team again.
We could still go far in Europe, but i know what i would rather win next season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:18 pm

has to be the premiership.

next season will be the best title race in history imo. i genuinely think that chelsea, manure, arsenal and liverpool will all be in with a genuine chance of winning it and that can only be a good thing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:27 pm

I'd like to see us win both but if I had to choose either the Premiership or Champions League it would be the Premiership for me, it's what separates the men from the boys, the Kings from the Peasants, so to speak. It takes a hell of a lot of consistency, determination, limited time to prepare for league matches & good quality football over a 38 game period to win the Premiership where as it takes half that to win the champions league & you get a large amount of time to prepare against  the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, Lyon etc etc.

Not to mention the league is any teams bread & butter and whilst it’s nice to hoist big ears and claim to be Kings of Europe it means little when you aren’t Kings of England.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:29 pm

stmichael wrote:next season will be the best title race in history imo. i genuinely think that chelsea, manure, arsenal and liverpool will all be in with a genuine chance of winning it and that can only be a good thing.

I hope so, all these one and two horse races are killing the game. I'd like to see teams like Newcy & Spurs being able to gun for the title as well, the more open a competition is the better it will be and the more enjoyable it would be to watch.
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:33 pm

0asis wrote:
stmichael wrote:next season will be the best title race in history imo. i genuinely think that chelsea, manure, arsenal and liverpool will all be in with a genuine chance of winning it and that can only be a good thing.

I hope so, all these one and two horse races are killing the game. I'd like to see teams like Newcy & Spurs being able to gun for the title as well, the more open a competition is the better it will be and the more enjoyable it would be to watch.

this chesea honeymoon period won't last for ever. it can't. they're playing nowhere near as well as they were last season. duff and lampard have been very poor recently. SWP can't get a look in. if they bring in the likes of ballack in the summer that's just going to upset the apple cart even more. he's got a bigger ego than maureen.

manure are only 7 points behind them now with one of the weakest central midfields in the premiership and arsenal (still the best side in the country imo) will be back stronger than ever, especially if they can retain henry. if we bring in the right 2-3 players i expect us to be up there aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:58 pm

You're right the Chelsea honeymoon period won't last and it's already detiorating in front of very eyes, as you've already stated but as much as I hate Chelsea I wouldn't want to see them disappear like Arsenal have this season. I would like to see them up there as well as long with United, Liverpool (us) and Arsenal.

The way the Premiership is going at the moment the Championship makes better watching as it has more competition, and the Premiership has only really started to come alive now, when the end of the campaign dawns upon us, it's been a disappointing this season for Premiership as a whole and once again we find the bottom of the table being the main talking point, I think the only positive points we can take away from the top flight football this season is West Ham and Wigan's golden season, both have bought that added bit of entertainment and excitement to the league apart from that it's been a one horse race at the top and a goal mouth scramble at the bottom.

In simpler words it's been boring.
48-1119859832

Postby el_stinger » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:59 pm

its been boring cos we havent won in so long.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:16 pm

Stinger,

It's not just that it's the whole league as a spectacle. I can remember a decade ago when the likes of Newcastle and United had those great battles for first and second and a large majority of teams played attacking football at a high tempo e.g Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle, Liverpool 4-2 Chelsea, Liverpool 5-1 Chelsea and results like that on a regular basis and not these shabby defence riddled 1-0's that seem to be floating about these days.

Characters like Di Canio are no more, ceased to exist and that's what's making the league boring but if teams can re-kindle the all out attacking spirit, instead of playing and doing anything and everything within the rule book and with out the rule book to win then we would have a much better league than the one we have at present and if more teams can starting competing for the league on a regular basis that would help too.
48-1119859832

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:18 pm

Premiership has to be the no. 1 priority for Rafa and the lads. CL would be a great acheivement as well but I am sure the Premiership is top of Rafa's wish list!

Comments on Kromkamp are unfair. He looks a decent player who can definately do a job when Finnan is out. Zenden (I believe) is finished and I see another 3-4 players arriving early in the summer. Further progress will be made and i think we will be closer to toppling Chelsea.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Flashard » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:52 pm

What a great thread, to think we are actually discussing what we would prefer. CL or EPL, fantastic i for one would welcome either but for me it would have to be the Premier what a summer that would set up.:p :p
Flashard

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 pm

john craig wrote:When talking about what we want to achieve in the next couple of years, it has to be the premiership.  Apart from the fact that we've not won it yet since it's been called the premiership, it's the mark of the most consistent team over the season and therefore the best.

Another CL would be great, but let's face it, it's a complete lottery as all knockout competitions are.  The best team doesn't always win it.  While qualification and progression past the group stages should be achieved every season (for the finances and the fact that European nights are great), winning the CL should be regarded as a bonus rather than an aim.

As far as Zenden and Kromkamp go, they're exactly the type of squad players that we were missing in the Houllier era.  Our squad in those days was made up of dead wood after the starting 11.  Nowadays we have solid players outside the first team who can be relied upon to do a job.  Zenden will be needed as centre mid cover next season imo - if Gerrard's out we have no other player who can play as an attacking centre mid and also I don't expect Didi to play as much next season.  To me, Kromkamp looks a good player.  Contrary to what some people think, I actually think he'll put serious pressure on Finnan for the RB slot next year.

Absolutely spot on!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:07 am

stmichael wrote:
0asis wrote:

this chesea honeymoon period won't last for ever. it can't. they're playing nowhere near as well as they were last season. duff and lampard have been very poor recently. SWP can't get a look in. if they bring in the likes of ballack in the summer that's just going to upset the apple cart even more. he's got a bigger ego than maureen.

manure are only 7 points behind them now with one of the weakest central midfields in the premiership and arsenal (still the best side in the country imo) will be back stronger than ever, especially if they can retain henry. if we bring in the right 2-3 players i expect us to be up there aswell.

I hear what you're saying St. Michael but the sad thing is, they can still surpass their points total from last season:

"But if you want an indication of how much football has changed, look at Chelsea's points total: 79, with six games left. For all the talk of a slump, they have reached the mark with which United won the title by a point in their 1999 Treble season. If they did rediscover their winning form for all six games then they would beat the record 95 points with which they won last season's title." (source)

Back to your earlier point...

I'm glad people are starting to move away from the idea that it'll be us and Chelski battling for the title next year.  Clearly, the rumours of the Mancs' demise have been greatly exaggerated (fu[B]ck!) and Arsenal are playing some truly lovely football at the moment, even without the likes of Cole and Sol.  If they hold on to Henry and continue to bring the youngsters along, they will be a force.  Mix in Spurs and at least one other surprise outfit that no one would have anticipated and it could be quite battle for the title!

Of course, that leaves only one thing left to say...

Bring.  It.  On.  :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby RAGE UK » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:20 am

We have got to knock Chelsea off the top spot in the prem.
Because that is what man-u and arsenal will be looking to take top spot to.
For me it would be just the best to shut the mouths of the Chelsea fans and players.
My blood runs with hate for Chelsea.
But in saying that the champs league would be interesting to because that would put the final nail in Chelsea’s coffin yer why not lest go for 6 cups.
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby madred » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:22 am

Hopefully we can compete to win both next season but its no contest when choosing one. Liverpool need to bring the title home where it belongs. Its been 16 years of fookin heartache and this needs to be put to rest now. Rafa is headed in the right direction now and can mount a serious threat in the next two seasons.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion