Next season cl or premier league?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby vlady16.1 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:35 am

dudes its the champions league

several reasons
1) money --- its in the champs legue-- allows the team to get better
2) chelsea will be real hard to beat in the league for 2-3 yrs -- too much depth but money from champs league will allow a challenge
3) CHELSKI HASN'T WON IT -- it will :censored: them off and they will do stupid things thus hastening their demise

a double is quite possible but the odds are for the champs league -- chelski's depth over a season is hard to beat but  in the champs league its not as big a deal
vlady16.1

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:21 am

0asis wrote:you get a large amount of time to prepare against  the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, Lyon etc etc.

I know what you are saying, Oasis, but you have to remember that the opposition get just as long.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:30 am

If I'm honest, I really like our "Champions of Europe" status. I know how much it would mean to win the League after such a long time, but it is the Champions League which creates legends.
Liverpool FC would not be a global attraction were it not for our European successes. Our fanbase would be much smaller, our ability to sign foreign players would be lessened, and we would be viewed as Everton are today. (OK - we'd have more titles, but they have never won the CL/European Cup.)

Ofcourse I want us to win every single competition we enter - it goes without saying. But if I had to choose between us being the "Champions of Europe", or the "Champions of England", I'd pick the Continental option every time.

Hopefully, though, we won't have to choose as Rafa will bring us both anyway.

:blues:
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:17 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
0asis wrote:you get a large amount of time to prepare against  the likes of AC Milan, Juventus, Barcelona, Lyon etc etc.

I know what you are saying, Oasis, but you have to remember that the opposition get just as long.

Yeah they do but I've always come to the conclusion that the league would be much more difficult to win as you have to be consistent throughout the campaign and you have to be prepared to play maybe 2-3 games in the space of 9 days if there's a fixture pile up and so on.

With the Champions League you get more time to prepare as the matches, esp in the latter stages of the competition are usually 3-4 weeks (maybe more) apart from one another, so therefore you'd have extra time to study the team, prepare training and thinking up tactics and formations against Europe's finest, maybe I'm dead wrong but that's how I've always viewed things.

Altho as you say I'd love to win both on a regular basis.  :cool:
48-1119859832

Postby zarababe » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:25 pm

I think we will have a squad that can compete on both fronts. Winning the league will always be the goal, as a measure of strength, consistency and achievement over a long season. CL.. well lets face it being European Champions is such a great feeling ay :)

Strong teams compete on such fronts and that is what we must attain ultimately. This season with all the games we have played, it was bound to catch us up.

Next season, as Saint says, should be a close run thing with a few clubs, including us being in the running for the title.. roll on..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:31 pm

where we have improved massively this season is in beating the teams that we "should beat" with a degree of comfort. in the past there were too many potential "banana skins" where we would drop stupid points which would eventually cost us dear.

however where we must improve is in our results against the other supposed "big three". this season we have taken 4 points out of 18 against these three teams.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:35 pm

:oh: thank you for that stato  :D   

Interesting point, and totally agree.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby harry_smiles » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I would just be happy to see us win most if not all the games that we are fav for. Far to often we loose games that we really shouldn't. I do belive that the Prem should be the aim, and Rafa should not rest players so they will be fit for a Cup match (CL, FA Cup or League), it is too bigger risk IMO. There is no team in the Prem that can't steal a point. I would really love to be able to save we are the best team in England. It has been hard to say we are the best team in europe when it is obvious that chelsea have been the best team in england for the past few years.

I think Kronkamp has a bright future. Rafa seems to be one of the gifted few who can get the very best out of a player, and IMO Kronkamp has alot to offer, he just need rafa to work his magic a bit.
harry_smiles

Postby Erica » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:22 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Would definately be the Premiership for me, for 2 reasons.
1, It is the hardest competition to win, where consistency is vital.

In my opinion this is not completely true.
All great European teams in Europe have won many more times the League of their countries than the biggest trophy in Europe. For example we have won the League 18 times, which is 13 times more than the European Cup, now called Champions League.
Chelsea are going to win easily the English League for the second time in a row, but I think they will never win the Champions League, because to win that trophy, apart from a good team you need a tradition to beat the best teams in the world.
However, what you say about the consistency needed to win the Premiership is absolutely true.
I also agree with what some of you said about how difficult it is to win both trophies. In fact the only team who can win both trophies this year is Barcelona. The reason? They have many substitutes of great level. In the last matches of the European Cup, they did not have Xavi, Márquez, Motta, Messi. However the players who replaced them were excellent players as well.
Which trophy do I prefer? That is the same question as asking a mother about which of her children she prefers.
Winning the League gives you a lot of reputation in your country, but winning the Champions gives you reputation in the entire world.
In fact, everybody in Spain and Italy thought that last year Liverpool was the best team in England.
And of course people in Spain and Italy were right, weren't we? :D
Erica

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Well folks, maybe we should just focus on the Champions League next season given that Slur Alex thinks it will be a 3-horse race in the League between them Chelski and Arsenal!  :angry:  :D  :angry: Source

Wishful thinking or wine-induced senility...you decide!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Crouchamania » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:52 am

it wud be great if we cud do what the mancs did in 99 and win the treble but we aint as lucky or jammy as them i think the prem is priority number 1 at the mo
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby redmikey » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:05 am

prem would be my bet to be the bset in the lands again would be top draw...

but progression of the rafaultion will be enough for me ..

better players..

the biggest for me is that the club moves foward and that means keeping rafa and build a bigger anfield or a new stadium ( new stadium please).. new deals on a par with what the mancs seem to be able to secure at will
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion