Motivation or style

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 am

Is it a sarcastic quote?
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:31 am

LFC2007 wrote:Is it a sarcastic quote?

No it's not. Money doesn't make things easier, which is why so many people take their own lives when they have money because they can't handle it. Money doesn't make life that easier, it brings jealousy and hatred.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:36 am

big al wrote:many people using this forum (like me) often speak from are emotional brain.  We don't stop and look objectively at Liverpool FC.  Instead we get caught up in the media hype that surrounds a new player such as Torres or Babel.  The media and the football pundits told you that Liverpool had a chance to win the premier league and like me you believed them we all believed them, but the fact is that it takes time to bake a cake.  Many people forget that Chelsea's success was not instant it took years for them to build and build and attract the top players, they had to break the mould and get in a few big players.  Mourinho was an instant success yes but Raneiri had made his job easy. He was he who bought Cech, Lampard, Cole, and made Terry captain.  The foundation for Chelsea's success was not simply a matter of Money.  bring this back to LFC, the foundation has been laid Rafa has just started to build and he is having to learn as he goes.  The rotation system has let us down but even more than that has been the players failure to grind out results.  Look at the season overall and you'll see that too many times have players failed to get stuck in and if necessary make the match a battle.  We have played either excellent football which has given very little in return or we gotten ahead in games only to stop fighting for the points.  Winning the premiership is not easy sometimes its about getting stuck in and winning games that are abysmal to watch.  On Saturday Middlesbrough nearly came back and they would had not Maschereno not got stuck in.  the last tens minutes and one flying tackle was enough to say come and get it.  When Mascherano give away a free kick he eyeballed the ref, right in his face, letting him know and everyone else that if middlesbrough want to win then they better roll the sleeves up and be prepared to be kicked.  Stevie G came over sid a few words and left.  Had that been Roy Keanne the ref would have had to issue a yellow card to get him to move.  The fans would have been lifted the tempreture would have risen.  In the end it did'nt matter but its a good example of the lack of a winning mentality.  Winners will do everything they have to, to win.  So whilst we need a few more players we also need a winner on the pitch.  Rafa is never going to be a manager who lifts the fans and the players so he better find a player who can, because Stevie G is not that player.[U]

Bang on Al, as was your post about the captaincy, i've said as much on a few occasions. The team is full of nice blokes, not enough winners, this has to come form the Captain, he has to rally the troops, take a yellow for the team, get the crowd baying, SG is NOT Captain material IMO. The only ones who actually exudes a winning personality on the pitch are Mascherano, (not because he is flavour of the month, but because of the way he has performed on the pitch and maybe Torres and Carra, none of the others ever get involved in any kind of scraps, rarely do teamates jump in to help another out. All this adds to increasing the chances of a result, for example roughing up the opposition, time wasting, kicking the ball into touch at every oppurtunity when you are 1-0 up, classic Chelsea antics under Mourinho, especially against the bigger sides, put them off their game plan, do whatever it takes to win, with intelligence.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:36 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:

No it's not. Money doesn't make things easier, which is why so many people take their own lives when they have money because they can't handle it. Money doesn't make life that easier, it brings jealousy and hatred.

So, if Rafa had no transfer funds to spend this summer, it would be no less difficult a task of achieving success in comparison to having a transfer budget of £50m?

BTW, what the :censored: has people taking their lives got to do with transfer spending in football?
LFC2007

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 am

Masch would definitely make a better captain than Gerrard.  I wonder if Gerrard would walk away, if the captaincy were to be taken from him?
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:40 am

LFC2007 wrote:

So, if Rafa had no transfer funds to spend this summer, it would be no less difficult a task of achieving success in comparison to having a transfer budget of £50m?

It doesn't matter at this club how much you are or not given. The expectation is the league title, minimum.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:45 am

LFC2007 wrote:

It doesn't matter at this club how much you are or not given. The expectation is the league title, minimum.

That wasn't the question, you're saying money doesn't make things easier. By that I presume you mean a manager's job of achieving success.

If that is your view, presumably Mourinho could have won the league with just as much ease if he'd had £0 to spend?
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:04 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Money doens't make it easier. Money makes it more difficult because expectations are that much higher because you've got the millions, it's made easier that you can buy pretty much who you want, but with that money success is demanded.

Try reading that. You've tried to turn my words when you quite clearly knew what I was saying, you're just being a :censored:, but no offence.

Money doesn't make it easier because success is demanded a lot more with money. But it's easier to achieve that success because of the fininacial backing. You can go and out and spend over the odds because the funds are there, but fans and owners alike are going to want to see trophies return witht the money spent. So it's not easier, because the pressure is that much greater.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:21 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Money doens't make it easier. Money makes it more difficult because expectations are that much higher because you've got the millions, it's made easier that you can buy pretty much who you want, but with that money success is demanded.

Try reading that. You've tried to turn my words when you quite clearly knew what I was saying, you're just being a :censored:, but no offence.

Money doesn't make it easier because success is demanded a lot more with money. But it's easier to achieve that success because of the fininacial backing. You can go and out and spend over the odds because the funds are there, but fans and owners alike are going to want to see trophies return witht the money spent. So it's not easier, because the pressure is that much greater.

Money bought Deigo Forlan and Jaun Sebastian Veron for United, for huge amounts. Money doens't make it easier.

Try reading that you ti.t, you clearly imply that financial backing makes no difference to the ability to achieve success.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:39 am

LFC2007 wrote:

Money bought Deigo Forlan and Jaun Sebastian Veron for United, for huge amounts. Money doens't make it easier.

Try reading that you ti.t, you clearly imply that financial backing makes no difference to the ability to achieve success.

Why could they buy them? Because they had money

Were either success in england? No

Money doesn't change a players ability, in that sense, money makes no difference. The fact that they could afford players of this supposed ability is where money comes into it, but it's still the indiviual player. Can you grasp that?

I'll make it slightly easier for you as you seem to struggle with common sense. Where you expecting more from Benayoun or Torres this season? I assume even people as dim as you were expecting alot more from Torres because the price tag tells you he's that good. Well a price tag isn't always a fair reflection on the players. Forlan and Veron being two major examples. So money doesn't come into ability and that's what wins matches, ability to play football. Just because you have so much money doesn't mean you'll win the league.

To summerise it up for you as you obviously don't get this concept. Money buys you big name players, BUT and this is the really important bit, big name players aren't always great. So money doesn't win the league and it doesn't lose you the league.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:56 am

LFC2007 wrote:

Why could they buy them? Because they had money

Were either success in england? No

Obviously, your point being?

Money doesn't change a players ability, in that sense, money makes no difference. The fact that they could afford players of this supposed ability is where money comes into it, but it's still the indiviual player.

Whoever said it did? Of course, a thick manager (if you were a manager for example) could spank £200m up the wall nay bother with little or no improvement to the squad. The capacity however, to which a manager's ability to achieve success at any given club, is greatly enhanced if they have significant transfer funds available to them, because invariably the very best players cost very substantial amounts of money. Whether they do or not is down to their ability to spend that money wisely.

Can you grasp that?

Can you grasp anything?

I'll make it slightly easier for you as you seem to struggle with common sense.

That's rich coming from the fella who proposed that 95% of our club's problems were down to 'desire to be in the media spotlight.  :laugh:

Where you expecting more from Benayoun or Torres this season? I assume even people as dim as you were expecting alot more from Torres because the price tag tells you he's that good. Well a price tag isn't always a fair reflection on the players. Forlan and Veron being two major examples. So money doesn't come into ability and that's what wins matches, ability to play football. Just because you have so much money doesn't mean you'll win the league.

Money buys you big name players, BUT and this is the really important bit, big name players aren't always great. So money doesn't win the league and it doesn't lose you the league.

Again, obviously.

However, the capacity to achieve success on the whole is greatly improved if you have half a billion to spend, compared to £2.99.

The premise that the 'pressure' that comes wih spending big, overrides the quality of player that those funds open up to you as a manager, is bizarre and yet another example of how thick you really are. If, as a club, our yearly expectations are to win the league title then that 'pressure' is no greater or lesser relative to what we spend. Therefore, your argument that spending big makes it more difficult to achieve success due to added 'pressure' is rather a moot point, because 'success is expected anyway'. Shot yerself in the foot there methinks.

To summerise it up for you as you obviously don't get this concept.

:laugh:
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:02 am

You're calling me thick, then repeat what I say that it doesn't matter how much we spend because the expectation is still to win the league. So either you're a :censored: or just down right stupid. Both.

Moyes seemed to find Lescott for around 5 million, Ferdinand costs United 30 million. In my personal opinion it's better buisness by Moyes. Truth is, doesn't matter how you dress it up. Money doesn't win/lose a title. You can have all the money in the world doesn't mean you'll win the league, Claudio Ranieri proved that. So just because teams outspend us, we're incapable of winning the league? Bollox, plain and simple. Even you can understand that.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:04 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:You're calling me thick, then repeat what I say that it doesn't matter how much we spend because the expectation is still to win the league. So either you're a :censored: or just down right stupid. Both.Moyes seemed to find Lescott for around 5 million, Ferdinand costs United 30 million. In my personal opinion it's better buisness by Moyes. Truth is, doesn't matter how you dress it

up. Money doesn't win/lose a title. You can have all the money in the world doesn't mean you'll win the league, Claudio Ranieri proved that. So just because teams outspend us, we're incapable of winning the league? Bollox, plain and simple. Even you can understand that.

:talktothehand

Read it again my special friend.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:07 am

Debate over, he can't counter the simple truth that money isn't a valid excuse to us failing.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 am

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can see the debate for what it is, it's all there.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion