Danny murphy - Motivation in footballers

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:33 am

I thought Danny Murphy played very well last night, above his level, and I'm sure he will every time he plays LFC.

Why do players play so well against former clubs, especially strikers who always seem to score on their return.

Is it just motivation and being "up for it" and if so how come being paid £20k isn't enough motivation to play against Crystal Palace or Southampton.

It p1sses me off to see players playing above their level now and then due to motivation (as with Giggs this year as he is playing for a new contract) as it means most of the time they are not giving 100% but just collecting the cash, buying the cars and shagging the models (Murphy's girlfriend!)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:23 pm

Murphy has always been a poor footballer. He can't handle the physical aspects of the game. He is too slow and weak to compete at the top. Look at yesterdays game. He lost the duel with Riise when he slotted home our winner, and he failed to score when Dudek gifted him the ball. If Murphy had been more fit he would have stopped Riise, and he would have reached the ball before Traore made the clearance. I have never liked Murphy, and maybe I always see the errors he makes more clearly than the positives. Anyway Murphy was part of one of the poorest Liverpool teams over the past 30 years. And he was maybe the weakest link (together with Biscan and Diao) in our poor team. Murphy knew his time was up when we got a fine manager. Therefore he tried everything to convince the fans and management that we should get Curbishley as our next manager. With Curbishley Murphy would have saved his Liverpool career. But his little game failed, and Murphy was the first person to get a bye bye from Benitez.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:31 pm

I know I labelled the thread "Danny Murphy" but it is more about players being up for certain games. Shouldn't they be 100% motivated for every game, they're getting paid a fortune.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:41 pm

I think we need to ignore the money thing for one moment.

Players are human and think about yourselves where your buzzing in one game and cack the next. No player well I rephrase most players go out and try to perform their best but the opposition varies, the understanding with your team mates, the conditions, tactics etc etc it could go on and on.

There are going to be games you just instinctively get more excited for and have more adrenalin flowing and more nerves to control

The professionalism of a player is mainatining fitness and increasing skill and tactical awareness through it being a full time job and some are better and more natural than others whilst some apply it better and concentrate harder and very rarely some have it all

The money is market forces and comparable to other players and you get what economics dictates and I think its crazy amount but for pros its probably the norm

I assume weve all played sport in teams etc and you will have people who can say I try harder etc but whilst I was not a huge fan of Murphy he is fit to premiership standard and reasonably skillfull for the pace of the game he plays in and will maintain concentration for the the majority of the game therefore an average premiership player. And as hard as any of us might try on a Saturday in local teams that level is one hell of a long way away
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:53 pm

banana wrote:Murphy has always been a poor footballer. He can't handle the physical aspects of the game. He is too slow and weak to compete at the top. Look at yesterdays game. He lost the duel with Riise when he slotted home our winner, and he failed to score when Dudek gifted him the ball. If Murphy had been more fit he would have stopped Riise, and he would have reached the ball before Traore made the clearance. I have never liked Murphy, and maybe I always see the errors he makes more clearly than the positives. Anyway Murphy was part of one of the poorest Liverpool teams over the past 30 years. And he was maybe the weakest link (together with Biscan and Diao) in our poor team. Murphy knew his time was up when we got a fine manager. Therefore he tried everything to convince the fans and management that we should get Curbishley as our next manager. With Curbishley Murphy would have saved his Liverpool career. But his little game failed, and Murphy was the first person to get a bye bye from Benitez.

Banana, did you get jilted by Joanna Taylor or something lad ??
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:07 pm

yeah
slightly harsh on Murphy, Banana
I thought in some games for us - he really complemented Stevie G
Do take your point about his strength on the ball though !

Back to the thread - I agree - Think sometimes it's a mixture of lots of things
Some players are just in the comfort zone & picking up the money
so when playing for their contract - there's more desire
But there are also players that who truly believe that they have been wronged by a club & therefore really have a point to prove and become all fired up
Could be many reasons really
Perhaps Murphy in Rafa's estimation - was not what he was looking for in a Midfielder - but in Danny's eyes, he honestly believes he should have been given more of a fair crack of the whip - and thus had a point to prove
Or I could just be talking a load of b*llocks again :laugh:
at least I'm not slagg*n off the team :)
SouthernScouser

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:29 pm

Danny should never have been sold. His cultured right foot would have come in very handy and he could play in the centre or on the right.
I think he is about 5 times better than Garcia.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:19 pm

at first i thought i was the only one who liked murphy as a player, i would of got rid of biscan and diao before i got rid of him.  with the injuries we have had this season he would have come in handy
109-1105722616

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:20 pm

crazyhorse wrote:Danny should never have been sold. His cultured right foot would have come in very handy and he could play in the centre or on the right.
I think he is about 5 times better than Garcia.

Pass the crack pipe lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:21 pm

marklfc wrote:at first i thought i was the only one who liked murphy as a player, i would of got rid of biscan and diao before i got rid of him.  with the injuries we have had this season he would have come in handy

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if Alonso was not injured, Gerrard always fit, Nunez not injured and banned, Riise on fire (as he is now) Kewell not injured and Hamman not banned, then he would not have got a look in.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:52 pm

when we originally bought murphy from crewe he used to play just behind the forwards. he wasnt creative enough to warrant a place in our side in that position so he was thrown into midfield. he never had the engine, pace or determination to play centre mid and when played wide he used to drift infield all the time. he had a reasonable touch on the ball but games used to pass him by. in centre mid you try to dictate the pace and flow of the game but murphy used to dance to the oppositions tune. he was a nearly man, not good enough in my opinion i`m afraid.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby ill*neva*walk*alone » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:33 pm

hey:( i no this thread has got nothin 2 do with stevie g, but u no 1 of the reasons ppl think stevies gonna go is because hes great pals with murphy...at d end of 1 of da games (cant rememba wich) stevie was patting murphy on da back.....n becaue deyre gud m8s ppl r sayin dey wanna b togetha on the same team.....(gayos!!) lol:;):
ill*neva*walk*alone

Postby charwell » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:13 am

Murphy was never good enough, either in terms of stamina or ability. His short passing was diabolical. I have heard some daft thngs in my time but Garcia 5 times worse than Murphy, get real. Garcia is quality and and with increasing awareness of the premiership he is getting better. He is equally adept at setting up goals (like yesterday) and scoring sublime goals too. The likes of Murphy will never bring silverware to the club. End of discussion.
charwell

Postby hobbes » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:22 am

i agree with crazy horse. He would play well. But most players in LFC were ruined by bad manager Gerrard Houllier. You keep them in the ice box and never play them obviously, they would seem to have not contributed enough to the team.

For heaven sake, Murphy is much better than Gacia, Biscan and even Diouf. But he is sold the other havent. Diouf on loan and Biscan is still around. Why? Simply because Murphy is marketable and the others not.
hobbes

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:10 pm

i think we should have kept murphy, he is a better squad player than some of the ****** we have, i.e biscan and diao(cos we still play half his wage)
109-1105722616

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion