Motivation - Is it an issue

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:18 am

just spit balling here

motivation is surely an important aspect for any sport, a desire to do well and to push yourself, now we all know how much effort we would put in to wear that shirt (of course more than sheer effort is needed or kuyt would be pele). i am concerned about whether many player now have the motivation to play purely for the club.

lets take the money out of the equation and look what will motivate a non supporter so to speak. I think this will come from winning, motivate you to want more, no longer is there a motivation to play well to keep your place, at our club now it doesnt matter f you have  blinder as you may still be left behind the next game so there is no motivation there and you get paid no matter what.

now i want to turn to rafa and his motivation, does he motivate the players, is he passionate or is it purely business for him, when was the last time we saw rafa get excited about a goal or about winning something, maybe he is excited but is reserved, every time we score he seems to go straight to his notebook while old red nose looks like he has just been given the keys to the Bells distillery, maureen used to show passion also, even wenger cracks a smile, however rafa shows no emotion. does this affect the players, the lack of credit given to players from rafa must also affect some of them.

ok i know what the argument from some will be, that they get paid enough to be motivated, and no doubt some will google 'motivation' and bore us with some psycho babble, buts lets have a decent discussion about rafas lack of displayed passion and the effect this may have on players
112-1077774096

Postby Effes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 am

I'm sure people will say you're Rafa bashing here Peewee, but....

For me it's more "mind set" rather than motivation.

For example - I think Ferguson instills a mind set into his squad and steels them for a long league campaign;
gives them a never say die attitude if you will. A mind set where they will go to away grounds and just
fight for the win rather than carry ourt the manager's intricate tactics.

I don't think Rafa does this.
He bogs them down with the tactics thing too much - so much of top sport is in the head - when I say
that I mean attitude more than anything.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 am

yeah i know i will be accused of rafa bashing mate but the fact is i never see him show any passion.
112-1077774096

Postby LegBarnes » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:58 am

peewee wrote:yeah i know i will be accused of rafa bashing mate but the fact is i never see him show any passion.

I am not going to bash rafa but I have always felt one of his weaknesses is motivating players. Like gerrard said some times all he wants from his manager is a pat on back when he does well. But rafa don't do that its reason why I think we see sammy back at club this year. Not to mention fact we missed pako alot at start of last season.

I dont think rafa is cold hearted I just think he is to perfessional some times (wierd to say that but its true).

Look at fergie he looks cold manager and loses it some times in dressing room but he must be doing some thing right with all those titles.

I think if rafa could lighten up a bit more and have a joke with the players , reward them for good form , he would have every thing a top manager needs to win the prem.

Come on rafa where is the love.  :love:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:11 am

I could be wrong but after the Istanbul final Stevie said something about Rafa speaking to the team at half time and telling them not to "roll over and die in front of the fans" and to give them something to cheer for. And about 20 minutes later history took place.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:55 am

SundanceKid wrote:I could be wrong but after the Istanbul final Stevie said something about Rafa speaking to the team at half time and telling them not to "roll over and die in front of the fans" and to give them something to cheer for. And about 20 minutes later history took place.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW9171051109-0841.htm
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:05 am

how're we gonna discuss this? we're not in the dressing room, we're not in the team... only the players will know whether or not rafa is good in motivation... all we can do is speculate...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:30 am

Thats why Lee has come in to put an arm around a player and give them incouragement if they have a problem they can talk to him.

Pako was that figure so we needed someone to replace him Sammy Lee is a good choice.

When we won the CL Rafa looked at his watch :D

He is purely proffesional he doesnt even let his little girls win a game of scrabble  :laugh:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:36 am

Ciggy wrote:When we won the CL Rafa looked at his watch :D

he was wondering whether he could give it to his missus and pretend he had just bought it for her

:D
112-1077774096

Postby hello_red » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm

Seasons not even started yet people! Calm yourselves.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby kalos » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:18 pm

I agree with Effes.

If you want proof that a fantastic mindset beats tactics 99 times out of a hundred think Liege ... thier desire overwhelmed ans stifled our (Rafas) tactics and no amount of tinkering would have solved it..

At Anfield our mindset will be (should be!) different and we should batter them...

Unortunately Fergie and Mourinho have this aspect of management off pat it seems - its the area where Rafa seems to struggle most...
kalos

Postby The_Rock » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:28 pm

Jesus christ............not another outburst by raging rafa....

Talk about motivation.....well this won't be a great motivation for the squad when they see this news all over the press tomorrow....

Why can't rafa just keep his mouth shut......and concentrate on coaching the team  :p  (like the good coach he is).

This just emphasis my point that while rafa makes a good coach...he is just not cut out to be a manager... A manager basically has to have PR skills....PR skills with players, fans and his big boss. 

Raging Rafa is angry he didn't get barry....yeah, that is understandable...but this is not the way to voice his opinion. He has to remember he is also part of the team....

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport....TO=1490

Rafa takes fresh swipe at Parry over Barry transfer saga

Gareth Barry

Target: Gareth Barry

Rafael Benitez has blamed the Liverpool hierarchy for the protracted Gareth Barry transfer saga.

The Anfield boss, preparing for tomorrow's Premier League opener at Sunderland, was very clear that he still wants the Aston Villa midfielder.

And he privately dismissed as unimportant the fact that Barry is now cup-tied
for the first phase of the Champions League, having played for Villa in the UEFA Cup this week.

But Benitez surprisingly turned the spotlight on chief executive Rick Parry and the club's owner - he specifically only used the singular - to mastermind a way out of the saga that has rumbled on all summer.

Benitez said: "I will try to be very clear over the (Barry) situation. Everyone has been talking and it seems that the blame is put on me.

"I get blamed for everything, for global warming to high petrol prices.

"But in this case I want to be very clear. Since I talked to Martin O'Neill
about the situation in April, I have not talked to anyone at Aston Villa.

"All the talks have been between our chief executive Rick Parry, the owner and
the chief executive of Aston Villa. And those talks have all been pretty good.

"So if anyone wants to talk about Barry in the future they must talk with the
owner, Rick Parry or the chief executive of Aston Villa. And as I have said,
those talks I understand have been good.

"I was not involved in the talks about Barry, I was not involved in the talks
about (Xabi) Alonso and Arsenal. If you want to talk about these players you
must talk to the chief executive of our club who was handling the discussions.

"If you want to talk about players, then you talk to Rick Parry. If you want
to talk about football, then you talk with me."

Parry made it clear last weekend that the club were not happy with the
£18million price tag for Barry, his age or length of contract.

But Benitez clearly still wants Barry in his team to solve his left-sided
problems.

He said: "The squad is better but we now have problems on the left because we
have lost (John Arne) Riise, (Harry) Kewell and (Sebastian) Leto.

"We will see what happens in the future with that situation, but clearly our
squad is better."

And the fact that Benitez has now specifically linked Alonso with a possible
move to Arsenal underlines that he would have been happy to sell the Spain
international to the Gunners for the right price.

Privately Benitez believes that the question of Barry now being cup-tied from
the Champions League group stages - he could play in the knockout phase in
February - is of no consequence.

Benitez was willing to sanction a four-year contract, so for Barry to be
unavailable for six group stage games this season is an inconvenience but not a
problem in the long term.

Whether Benitez eventually gets his man is still open to debate because
co-owner Tom Hicks will not pay £18million. But it seems possible now that a
lower fee will be offered to take into account the issue of the 27-year-old
being initially cup-tied in Europe.

So Benitez goes into the new campaign stubbornly clinging onto the hope that he
will get his number one summer target.

And he believes Liverpool can make a sustained challenge for the title, despite
the shocking performance in Liege in midweek which cast doubts over the
manager's planning.

Benitez said: "You have to be opportunistic when you have a squad like ours. I
would just like our Olympic players back to help us. But we will probably have
one player in the final the rest can return soon.

"The age of the squad is much lower, they are good players and can be a very
good team for now and the future.

"Our fans want a trophy every season. They would want the league title, the
Champions League, the FA Cup and the Carling Cup in that order.

"But if you asked me what I would prefer, then I would say I agree with our
supporters."

And Benitez confirmed that Steven Gerrard will be fit to lead Liverpool into
the new season.

Gerrard was only used for the final 24 minutes of the disappointing midweek
Champions League draw against Standard Liege following a thing injury.

Gerrard trained yesterday and today and will be in the side at the Stadium of
Light. There are doubts over Xabi Alonso and Yossi Benayoun following minor
muscle injuries from the game in Belgium, but Fabio Aurelio and Martin Skrtel
are both back in contention. :no
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:37 pm

I dont see your problem with what rafa said Rock?
To be honest I can understand his point of view.He wanted Gareth Barry.Now regardless of whether anyone of us wanted him at LFC or not is besides the issue!
The thing is that the manager is sick of being blamed for the total incompetence of A Fu*king clown.Rick Parry has yet again fu'cked up another potential transfer.it does'nt matter if it was Gareth barry or KaKa...the thing is he is completely and utterly useless at negotiating transfers as has been proven so many times and considering that is probably the most important part of his job in terms of bettering the team its a major fuc'king problem!
Rafa has every right to be frustrated....Parry is a fuc'king clown..in fact its an insult to clowns everywhere to associate them them with such a co'ckhead!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion