What's your priority and why ? - Where does the forum lie on this issue?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

What's your priority and why ? - Where does the forum lie on this issue?

Get rid of owners first .
82%
Get rid of Rafa first.
18%

Total votes : 76

Postby red_guy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Somebody here mentioned about mourinho's team not playing attractive football, but the kings of 1-0 wins. Agree with that but at least their target is to win. What worries me about our team is that sometimes (or most of the times this season) we only play "not to lose". What's the use of being too defensive and boring but end up losing the game? Why lower our targets ? we're not a relegation zone team, we're Liverpool FC. We have a team  capable of playing good attacking football, why can't we use it to our own advantages? This season shows that being too defensive getting us nowhere. Why not be adventurous and take a risk instead of sticking to the same formula? At least if we die, we die trying.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:28 pm

red_guy wrote:Somebody here mentioned about mourinho's team not playing attractive football, but the kings of 1-0 wins. Agree with that but at least their target is to win. What worries me about our team is that sometimes (or most of the times this season) we only play "not to lose". What's the use of being too defensive and boring but end up losing the game? Why lower our targets ? we're not a relegation zone team, we're Liverpool FC. We have a team  capable of playing good attacking football, why can't we use it to our own advantages? This season shows that being too defensive getting us nowhere. Why not be adventurous and take a risk instead of sticking to the same formula? At least if we die, we die trying.

of course we set out to win  :laugh:

mourihnos chelsea were just better at doing it than we are
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:35 pm

DrPepe wrote:
red_guy wrote:Somebody here mentioned about mourinho's team not playing attractive football, but the kings of 1-0 wins. Agree with that but at least their target is to win. What worries me about our team is that sometimes (or most of the times this season) we only play "not to lose". What's the use of being too defensive and boring but end up losing the game? Why lower our targets ? we're not a relegation zone team, we're Liverpool FC. We have a team  capable of playing good attacking football, why can't we use it to our own advantages? This season shows that being too defensive getting us nowhere. Why not be adventurous and take a risk instead of sticking to the same formula? At least if we die, we die trying.

of course we set out to win  :laugh:

mourihnos chelsea were just better at doing it than we are

They sent the ball forward. The striker got the supply. We, on the other hand left Torres alone , isolated. That's the difference. Yes they have the team that capable of doing that , then why should we follow them if we're that awful playing that kind of system. That's my point.
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Perhaps because we would be even worse trying to play like Arsenal?

I just think we have without question the slowest team out of the top 7.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Well at least we should try... take a risk..if it's not working , fine change it before it's getting worse.
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 pm

Reg wrote:
kazza wrote:
s@int wrote:
kazza wrote:Square peg in a round hole.... Agree to disagree

Fair enough mate, I honestly didn't expect to get a draw out of that one  :D

Maybe you are more like Rafa than you think  :D

Injury time late winner from Kazza there !!  :laugh:  :laugh:

It was a back pass, I was all alone in the box
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 pm

I think over the years that has been one of my main frustrations and criticisms of Rafa, he is too stubborn and slow to change things that aren't working. Rotation was perhaps the first example of this. First season he was here, it was both understandable and necessary with a small squad and the CL as our main priority. To continue with it for as long as he did certainly cost us both points and runs in cups in other years. This was just the first of many examples where he has been too slow to adapt to circumstances, with the latest being the problem of two defensive mid's not creating enough. FINALLY HE SEEMS TO HAVE ACCEPTED THAT IT DOESN'T WORK (at least not with Masch and Lucas) and has moved Gerrard back ....... 

He makes too many mistakes and compounds them by not realising/admitting/changing his errors until its too late.
account deleted by request

Postby DrPepe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:10 pm

s@int wrote:I think over the years that has been one of my main frustrations and criticisms of Rafa, he is too stubborn and slow to change things that aren't working. Rotation was perhaps the first example of this. First season he was here, it was both understandable and necessary with a small squad and the CL as our main priority. To continue with it for as long as he did certainly cost us both points and runs in cups in other years. This was just the first of many examples where he has been too slow to adapt to circumstances, with the latest being the problem of two defensive mid's not creating enough. FINALLY HE SEEMS TO HAVE ACCEPTED THAT IT DOESN'T WORK (at least not with Masch and Lucas) and has moved Gerrard back ....... 

He makes too many mistakes and compounds them by not realising/admitting/changing his errors until its too late.

how do the numbers compare on his rotation these days?
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby red_guy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 pm

s@int wrote:I think over the years that has been one of my main frustrations and criticisms of Rafa, he is too stubborn and slow to change things that aren't working. Rotation was perhaps the first example of this. First season he was here, it was both understandable and necessary with a small squad and the CL as our main priority. To continue with it for as long as he did certainly cost us both points and runs in cups in other years. This was just the first of many examples where he has been too slow to adapt to circumstances, with the latest being the problem of two defensive mid's not creating enough. FINALLY HE SEEMS TO HAVE ACCEPTED THAT IT DOESN'T WORK (at least not with Masch and Lucas) and has moved Gerrard back ....... 

Agree.  :)
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm

DrPepe wrote:

how do the numbers compare on his rotation these days?

No idea mate, but the evidence of my eyes tells me that he is not changing 5 or 6 players a game like he was before. Now it seems to be injuries more than whim that changes the team.

Postby Penguins » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:39 pm

I still believes in the case of rotation that it works if you have quality in the squad.

Rednose has rotated his squad a lot these past 2 years and has 2  league titles to show for it and 2 CL finals.

So rotation is for me to some degree a myth created to put blame on everything but lack of quality in a squad.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:58 pm

Penguins wrote:I still believes in the case of rotation that it works if you have quality in the squad.

Rednose has rotated his squad a lot these past 2 years and has 2  league titles to show for it and 2 CL finals.

So rotation is for me to some degree a myth created to put blame on everything but lack of quality in a squad.

Rotation may well work with a top quality squad, but when you are changing Gerrard for Zenden etc it wouldn't be top of my list for a recommended policy.

The problem is when you haven't got 100's of millions to spend and your backup isn't top class then you have to use the first team players much more and hope they stay fit, rather than gambling on second rate players playing to the same level as your world class ones. Something it took Rafa too long to realise.

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:25 pm

I agree with you on this one, S@int. Took him far too long to shift Gerrard back into the midfield. Was talking to a mate last night and he brought up the point of Gerrard not being very good when he has to play with his back facing the goal. He has to be deep with his eyes up towards the play so he can pull the strings and get involved more. I think he's persisted too long with the Torres/Gerrard partnership, and it's understandable why and I can see why he has, as those two on song are the best pairing around, but still playing him there with Torres injured, in hindsight, was just cutting his own nose off to spite the rest of his face so to speak. We won't know for sure, but Rafa's admittance will come if he persists with the 4-4-2 set up and not the one he's went with for half of last season and most of this one. Rafa's admittance to errors of his ways is not in spoken words, but when he changes something, which is not often.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:38 pm

Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:12 pm

I would have thought your priority would have been Rafapool not Liverpool :p

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion