MIDDLESBROUGH VS LIVERPOOL - Lets get back into the title race.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Yeah time for Insua to come back into the team. Dossena hasn't exactly put in any half decent performances whilst Insua has been with Argentina so he should go back to the bench.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Arbeloa has a hamstring injury and is almost definately out (his leg is in plaster) So I presume Carra at full back (unless we play 3 at the back?) With Torres out it might not be a bad idea to play a more attacking game ........ a draw here would kill us.

Riera

Carra      Skrtel   Agger/Hyypia   

Kuyt      Masch       Alonso       Riera

Gerrard      Benayoun
                      Babel
account deleted by request

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Im up in boro recording this weekend so Im gonna try to get in if I can. :)   might call me mate, Adam Johnson see if he can blag me in :p
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 pm

s@int wrote:Arbeloa has a hamstring injury and is almost definately out (his leg is in plaster) So I presume Carra at full back (unless we play 3 at the back?) With Torres out it might not be a bad idea to play a more attacking game ........ a draw here would kill us.

Riera

Gerrard      Benayoun
                      Babel

Would that formation make it easy for Downing though s@int?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red H » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Slightly off topic, but with Arbeloa injured, what happened to Degen ? Is he still injured or should interpol be informed of his disappearance ?

Babel & Insua, are worth a run.  Not sure about Ngog.  Also wouldn't mind Aurelio getting a go in midfield.

Should have enough for the Smoggies, surely ?
Red H

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Effes wrote:
s@int wrote:Arbeloa has a hamstring injury and is almost definately out (his leg is in plaster) So I presume Carra at full back (unless we play 3 at the back?) With Torres out it might not be a bad idea to play a more attacking game ........ a draw here would kill us.

Riera

Gerrard      Benayoun
                      Babel

Who would you prefer tackling you Agger/Hyypia or Dossena.   :D

I just think that with our lack of firepower up front we need to be a little more aggressive, whether that be by playing three at the back or maybe even playing two up front. Not really that bothered about the formation as long as we get players into the box.

I am more concerned with scoring at the moment than not conceeding. A 0-0 draw would kill any last remaing chance just as surely as losing 4-0 imo.

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 pm

doesn't downing play down the left? in your formation he would be against Kuyt/Carra
JoeTerp

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Effes wrote:

Riera

Gerrard      Benayoun
                      Babel

Shouldn't matter. We shouldn't be doing anything different to compensate for Downing. They should be doing everything different to compensate for us.

Need a win here desperately
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:34 pm

I am a big fan of the pompey match 3-4-2-1 formation especially if we could play Gerrard, Torres and Alonso all in it :D

not to get too nitpicky here S@int but if Agger was injured I would think the back three would be
              Reina
SKrtel    Hyypia    Carra

I know it seems logical that Carra would be ideal for RCB since he has play at rightback with us before, but I think he would be much more comfortable on the left than Skrtel, and in the middle I would either want the biggest centre half or the best at organizing.  If Agger were available, I would certainly want Carra in the middle shouting and organizing, but I think Hyypia has less of a chance of being caught for pace or lack of match fitness in the middle, where he will be less likely to be drawn  out away from the area and leaving us weak in the air in the box.

One could argue that Abreloa had one of the tougher times adjusting to his new role in this formation so maybe his injury in this match wouldn't be too bad to try this formation again. Degen I think was brought in for this type of role, but I believe he is hurt as well. Darby is not really the adventurous type either and I don't think this would be an ideal game/formation for his premier league debut. Insua, not being that great of a left footed crosser of the ball anyway might have a shout for this role.  I think Kuyt, your choice can fit here as well working hard for the team up and down the flank.  Gerrard can of course play here too, but then we would be sacrificing him from playing higher up and more central.  El Zhar? maybe could play here in the last 10 minutes or so if we still haven't broken a team down yet.

I think Riera could offer something interesting from this position with Aurelio operating on the opposite flank. He might actually be a bigger goal threat from here as he would have more space to cut in to create an angle on his shooting foot.

And actually, somebody who could play pretty well in this role for us would be Jay Spearing.  He isn't exactly the out wide type, but he is pretty well versed in all aspects of the game for somebody of his age, would put in 200% for the cause, and couldn't be much slower than Kuyt.   Also Steve Irwin could do a job in that role but he is miles from the 1st team. Put in a great performance in the youth cup at rightback today though, scoring two goals.
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:36 pm

JoeTerp wrote:doesn't downing play down the left? in your formation he would be against Kuyt/Carra

Same applies Joe. The main point I was trying to get across is I think we need to be much more attack minded than we have been of late. WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE anymore by throwing caution to the wind (a little bit) and going at them from the off. Get players in the box and they will be more concerned about keeping us out than getting forward themselves (hopefully)

In all honesty I thought Boro' where the better side when we played them at Anfield, and we were more than a little lucky to get the 3 points. I don't want to rely too much on luck this time.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Effes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:42 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Effes wrote:

Riera

Gerrard      Benayoun
                      Babel

Shouldn't matter. We shouldn't be doing anything different to compensate for Downing. They should be doing everything different to compensate for us.

Need a win here desperately

Not the point Im making mate. Was saying s@ints formation looks like it could give Downing a
field day down our right/their left.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Just when you need the points you have a game against these
lot, when is the last time we didn't draw with them? i can't remember.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:46 pm

mistyred wrote:Just when you need the points you have a game against these
lot, when is the last time we didn't draw with them? i can't remember.

2002, it's in an earlier post mate.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Yeah when Southgate himself scored against us thats when.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:49 pm

s@int wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:doesn't downing play down the left? in your formation he would be against Kuyt/Carra

Same applies Joe. The main point I was trying to get across is I think we need to be much more attack minded than we have been of late. WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE anymore by throwing caution to the wind (a little bit) and going at them from the off. Get players in the box and they will be more concerned about keeping us out than getting forward themselves (hopefully)

well I guess it comes down to in an Arbeloaless team either downing vs. Carra in a fullback role or vs. a combo of a wingback and RCB of a back three

Now I am not expert as you know, but it seems to be that the formation is naturally vulnerable to letting wide midfielders get pretty far down the pitch, but then it is more difficult to do damage once you get down there do to the strength in the middle, and it also seems difficult to be able to cut inside from outwide and cause damage that way
JoeTerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion